• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

TROSC Q and A

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I went to the Q and A with Micky, MP and James Vaughan, which was quite interesting.

MP said that the next objective is the further development of the campus, which will generate substantial additional income with the aim of establishing us as a top half League One club. We will then look to move ground, with the stadium project now at the feasibility stage. He said that without a stadium move, we could not realistically reach the Championship. Bidston Moss is the only site being considered, as it is by far the best option in terms of road and rail access and the potential for the regeneration of the North End of Birkenhead. The A41 site is a non-starter due to the uprooting of existing infrastructure that would be required in that area.

The youth development policy as it was previously understood is now defunct as it is no longer financially viable, and the emphasis is now on developing good players released by bigger clubs, such as O'Connor, Hawkes and Cogley. James Vaughan will have a key role in identifying such players.

Micky stated that there will be no change in playing style between now and the end of the season, as the players all understand their roles and trying to make major changes at this stage would cause confusion for them. He said we are having a good season with the current approach, and we don't have the right kind of squad to over-commit players in the attacking areas.

MM talked at length about tactics, including charts and videos, which was interesting. In particular, he played a video which had been shown to the players ahead of the Swindon game which demonstrated how we could exploit their tactic of passing out from the back and win the ball high up the pitch. He also played a video on forward link play which was shown to Hemmings and Nevitt before the Port Vale game. Micky believed there had not been enough link up between the strikers in the previous couple of games, whereas last Saturday there were more 'connections' between the front players than in any other game this season.

Micky was asked why we don't leave a man up the pitch when defending corners. He said it is to ensure that Peter Clarke can defend zonally and does not have an individual opposition player to mark. As a result, he wins 70% of our defensive headers from corners, and we have conceded fewer goals from corners this season than any team in the country bar Man City.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thanks RLC, any idea what the further development to the campus will be and if any mention of costs involved

Player
Manager
John King
Thanks RLC, any idea what the further development to the campus will be and if any mention of costs involved
I was sitting near the back and I could not hear the detail unfortunately ! I know we want to develop the other existing buildings on the site, but whether that is for more sports facilities to be rented to the public, or for some other use, I am not sure.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I went to the Q and A with Micky, MP and James Vaughan, which was quite interesting.

MP said that the next objective is the further development of the campus, which will generate substantial additional income with the aim of establishing us as a top half League One club. We will then look to move ground, with the stadium project now at the feasibility stage. He said that without a stadium move, we could not realistically reach the Championship. Bidston Moss is the only site being considered, as it is by far the best option in terms of road and rail access and the potential for the regeneration of the North End of Birkenhead. The A41 site is a non-starter due to the uprooting of existing infrastructure that would be required in that area.

The youth development policy as it was previously understood is now defunct as it is no longer financially viable, and the emphasis is now on developing good players released by bigger clubs, such as O'Connor, Hawkes and Cogley. James Vaughan will have a key role in identifying such players.

Micky stated that there will be no change in playing style between now and the end of the season, as the players all understand their roles and trying to make major changes at this stage would cause confusion for them. He said we are having a good season with the current approach, and we don't have the right kind of squad to over-commit players in the attacking areas.

MM talked at length about tactics, including charts and videos, which was interesting. In particular, he played a video which had been shown to the players ahead of the Swindon game which demonstrated how we could exploit their tactic of passing out from the back and win the ball high up the pitch. He also played a video on forward link play which was shown to Hemmings and Nevitt before the Port Vale game. Micky believed there had not been enough link up between the strikers in the previous couple of games, whereas last Saturday there were more 'connections' between the front players than in any other game this season.

Micky was asked why we don't leave a man up the pitch when defending corners. He said it is to ensure that Peter Clarke can defend zonally and does not have an individual opposition player to mark. As a result, he wins 70% of our defensive headers from corners, and we have conceded fewer goals from corners this season than any team in the country bar Man City.
Very interesting. Thanks, RLC. I hope there were no opposition managers there taking notes. ;)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Appreciate the report RLC.

I'm a little puzzled that Micky is so resolute about sticking to our current playing style. We varied things earlier on in the season and the players are surely intelligent enough to adapt if he did want to change things. The net effect of the January window was to strengthen the side in the attacking areas while defensively we were unchanged. However, if that is what MM thinks, maybe it shouldn't have been said, as it's now out there and other sides will know how to set up against us. Or is it a bluff and we might be more flexible in how we line up than the manager's remarks suggest?

Player
Manager
John King
Appreciate the report RLC.

I'm a little puzzled that Micky is so resolute about sticking to our current playing style. We varied things earlier on in the season and the players are surely intelligent enough to adapt if he did want to change things. The net effect of the January window was to strengthen the side in the attacking areas while defensively we were unchanged. However, if that is what MM thinks, maybe it shouldn't have been said, as it's now out there and other sides will know how to set up against us. Or is it a bluff and we might be more flexible in how we line up than the manager's remarks suggest?
I am not sure you have interpreted my comments correctly. He was not talking about a particular system - 442 or 4231 - but a set of principles which dictates what the players are expected to do in and out of possession. From Mellon's perspective it is clear we have not changed our fundamental approach all season, even though the shape of the team has changed several times.

To be honest, having attended the meeting it is clear that the tactical understanding of the manager and coaching staff is way beyond anything that is posted on a fan forum. It was actually educational and gave a real insight into what actually happens on the training ground.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
So
To be honest, having attended the meeting it is clear that the tactical understanding of the manager and coaching staff is way beyond anything that is posted on a fan forum. It was actually educational and gave a real insight into what actually happens on the training ground.
You would hope so, after all it's their job!

ADD

Player
Norwood
Thanks RLC a very interesting summary.

The campus redevelopment sounds very positive - being able to generate enough funds to be top half L1 would be a worthy achievement by MP and Nicola.

Re the ground move personally (and I appreciate I am likely in the minority) I am disappointed that it looks as if MP has basically already decided to move grounds. I will be sorry when/if that happens but I suspect that financially that is the main reason that the Indonesians are pumping in their investment.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

The campus redevelopment sounds very positive - being able to generate enough funds to be top half L1 would be a worthy achievement by MP and Nicola.

Re the ground move personally (and I appreciate I am likely in the minority) I am disappointed that it looks as if MP has basically already decided to move grounds. I will be sorry when/if that happens but I suspect that financially that is the main reason that the Indonesians are pumping in their investment.
I think there will be many fans who would regret any move from what they regard as our spiritual home. If we want to remain as a League Two side with the occasional season in League One, then the status quo is fine. However, our traditional rivals are mostly playing in non-league to be replaced by ambitious clubs like FGR. We have to move forward to stand still. If we can move to a new ground that earns its keep and can sell PP for housing, the club can look forward to a bright and financially secure future. If we can attract appropriate investment and an increased fan base while retaining responsible ownership, I am all in favour.

Player
ian goodison
I too would love to remain at PP having started going there at 12yrs on the 28a from Bromborough but recently went to shrewsbury which is out of town but came away very impressed with the stadium,

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
at the end of the day we would all love pp to be redeveloped,but its an unstustanible stadium.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am not sure you have interpreted my comments correctly. He was not talking about a particular system - 442 or 4231 - but a set of principles which dictates what the players are expected to do in and out of possession. From Mellon's perspective it is clear we have not changed our fundamental approach all season, even though the shape of the team has changed several times.

Thank you for clarifying, that makes more sense now and is less troubling than the way I'd interpreted it initially.

On the new ground, it sounds like minds are made up at the top. There is an emotional attachment to PP and I'll be sorry to see it go. Most of the new build grounds are soulless places in an out of town location, think Rotherham, which I've not done yet is the only recent exception, while the Swansea ground isn't too bad. It is critical that the club learns from other's mistakes going forward.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.

I would also love to stay at PP! Unfortunately the club and the stadium is too expensive and is not viable. It is indeed a weight around the club financially!
Strange decisions were made when the club got a grant off the football foundation to make PP an all seated stadium. We were at the time desperate for a renovation of the whole ground but the grant wasn't enough to redevelop the main stand, it was just a stand too far! And every time there is a storm, you wonder if the damage caused would condemn it or restrict capacity.
The facilities are terrible and not good enough now for weddings , functions, big parties, etc. Hence needing the new supporters fan park.!
I remember Frank Force saying the last time we were in the championship saying the ground had to be full to be competitive in this league or something very similar!
And I have always wondered why the spoils stated, back in '15, that they had no intention of moving from PP?

But with every speech he makes, the only subject he talks about is money! It has to be the accountant in him!

frenchrover

Player
aldo
If a move from Prenton Park is fairly high on the agenda, what is the point of the new fan park opening before next season

Player
Manager
John King
Thank you for clarifying, that makes more sense now and is less troubling than the way I'd interpreted it initially.

On the new ground, it sounds like minds are made up at the top. There is an emotional attachment to PP and I'll be sorry to see it go. Most of the new build grounds are soulless places in an out of town location, think Rotherham, which I've not done yet is the only recent exception, while the Swansea ground isn't too bad. It is critical that the club learns from other's mistakes going forward.
I think Rotherham's ground would be the template for the new stadium, judging by MP's comments.