• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer window

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Other clubs doing business already. One interesting deal is Dover having lost Miller and Lafayette have signed Jamie Allen from Southport who scored 10 times last season. L2 Accrington have also raiderd the sandgrounders bringing in Nolan. John Rooney has also joined guiseley permanently.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes drwhoman. Amazing to see Dover that in the space of 10 days or so, they have lost their 3 main goalscorers from last season who scored 65 goals between them (granted Miller got 42). I quite fancied Emmanuel (not the film), as he got 25 the year before when at Bromley. He is quick and has an eye for goal.

Interesting to see Emmanuel & Lafayette went to Sutton with their plastic pitch. Maybe their cup run has seen them be able to offer decent wages as although Emmanuel was released, there will have been interest in him although I think they persuaded Lafayette to join them.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
mekki, turner, souse, omotola, ilesanmi & askew released 7 2nd year scholars released McNulty has took up the option to extend his contract by 1 year contract offers made to Stockton, Kirby, duggan, gumbs, pilling, Vaughan, ridehalgh, ihiekwe, maynard, buxton and first year scholar drysdale

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
No great surprises but I have a few comments and questions.

Why no mention of Steve Jennings and Richie Sutton? I'm guessing the club are waiting on medical reports.

I can understand Turner's release to make way for Luke Pilling, but will he stay on as goalie coach?

About half of the players who won that memorable last match at Maidstone have been released including the skipper and the goal scorer.

Hopefully, Micky will know who is extending their contract by the end of June so he can decide who he needs to recruit for next season. I'm hopeful most of the current squad will be there in August.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wasn't lucky enough to be at Maidstone, but disappointed to see so many of our youngsters released after that impressive showing. Aside from Drysdale, no first pro contract offers made.

McNulty's option to extend wasn't something I was aware of. The offers made and release list aren't that surprising. Will have to see how many are accepted.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Boz, every year we usually offer only two or three youngsters a pro deal. We gave Eddie Clarke one earlier in the season, so that means two have come through. But I agree that it's quite a clear-out considering the side was good enough to beat a full strength NL side. I'm sure many of these lads will make good careers in the game. Unfortunately, they never had much of a chance at PP because of the debatable policy not to blood any youngsters.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not surprised at the decisions on the youngsters. Of the team at Maidstone, only gumbs and Drysdale definitely looked good enough to make it and both have been offered deals. I am more surprised that omotola has been released, as he seemed to be highly rated. Surely it is encouraging that both gumbs and duggan have been offered contracts, suggesting that Micky is not as blinkered regarding the youngsters as some people claim ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I know that we only take on a couple of youngsters on pro contracts each year, but had hoped there might be more. It's difficult to comment on youngsters I've hardly seen play, but it seemed from reading reports on here and elsewhere that there were some that looked more than capable. RLC praised Calum Lucy, a name unfamiliar to me, while Ilesamni scored and has looked a handful when I've seen. Omatola, who didn't feature in that game, but played in our last FL also surprises me, given he was one to watch and scoring for fun at Witton. It's been a long time since a player we've discarded has come back to bite us, but think that one or two of these may be featuring for NL opponents in the years to come. Some encouragement for the youngsters in terms of further deals offered to Pilling, Gumbs and Duggan, though given what Mitch has shown he can do when given an opportunity by Carden, it would have been a mistake not to make him an offer.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
with regards to some youngsters being released if you look at the youth games this season in the league they have by and large struggled and by all accounts been quite disappointing which is probably the reason for being released

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The Omotola one is one to keep an eye on. Won't be surprised if he goes elsewhere and scores goals, even for a national league north side.

Speaking of which, ex rover Liam Hogan has made a surprising move dropping down to big spending Salford city, joining the national league north side on a 3 year deal. Despite his injury issues with us, I was always impressed with him and it was no surprise he was an important part of a Gateshead side which finished 8th. He was captain and got player of the year too and was offered a new deal by the Heed. Money talks I guess when a 3 year deal comes along.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Hogan joins ex Barrow player of year Danny Livesey. A partnership that would do well in our division.
Salford opening the wallet.
There must be another TV show in the making!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Both the players Salford have signed are from that area, so the combination of the money and going home will have helped. 3 years seems a long contract for a player at this level though.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Gives us a bit more cover in midfield, although I think full back might be his best position.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good news re Mitch. While RLC may be right about his best position, he would inject a bit more energy into a ponderous midfield once Jay Harris went injured.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good news. Let's hope he gets a chance next season. At worst his flexibility would be useful on the bench.

drwhoman

I have been following the league club releases on the BBC site and it appears that Hartlepool have had a bit of a clear out including the captain, Billy Paytner, so it will be interesting to see what sort of team they field next season. There are also players released by other clubs who I would like to see at Rovers but unlikely! Now if we had gone up!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Central defender Shaun Pearson joins Wrexham from Grimsby, a decent signing.