• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer window

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sonkorly, we are dropping like a stone we will be on the verge of the relegation places in a couple of weeks. If 4-5-1 doesnt work which its clearly not Les doesnt know how to change things around.

You may find it acceptable to watch hoofball i dont its not that hard to play players in their correct positions and pass the ball on the floor but with les it is.

PARRY OUT before its too late and we go down.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I think Les will keep us up. Ultimately selection and tactics are his call, but I do wonder what advice he gets from his assistants and I have to say the football is hard going. As stated earlier jury is out on Tyriaki - I did support his signing and felt he had a bit of class, but big though he may be, he ins know target man and if tactics are not going to change let him go.

Earlier in this thread I had tried to support Les and quoted signings he made, which were derided in many parts inc. this web site. Some endorsement from Sonko, although he quotes signings most agreed with in the first place, but ample evidence Les can spot a player on a budget. On that basis and the belief he will keep us up I still support him - though I do wish the football would improve.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Forgot to mention ref search for strikers on a budget there does seem to be a number mutually agreeing to terminate contract with their clubs from higher leagues - one from Ipswich? the other night. Not sure of reasons...possible misdemeanours? or may be they have a move lined up, but could be a target if they were desperate for a club.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
James Wallace has signed for a month. Like I said I didnt think we needed another midfielder but least Les still recognises we need a front man:

"I know our priority has been a striker, but we've also been looking for another midfielder.
"James is a little bit of a character, he's not shy. I'm sure he'll have the desired affect on and off the pitch."
Parry added: "Fresh faces are important and bringing players in on loan gives the place a lift.
"But of course, our priority is bringing in a striker. We're trying everything we can."

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Sonkorly, we are dropping like a stone we will be on the verge of the relegation places in a couple of weeks. If 4-5-1 doesnt work which its clearly not Les doesnt know how to change things around.

That's directly comparable to saying "we are going to be top of the league in a few weeks" when we were playing well and hanging out in and around the playoffs.

We have been the 16th best team in the league this season. On what basis do you expect us to be higher?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I do think for the most part, the quality of the football this season has been an improvement on the dross of last. However against Rochdale we largely abandoned the passing game, which had earned us a draw against Brentford; I was especially disappointed to see us ko by hoofing for touch again. Rochdale, for all their faults, weren't a team of cloggers and there was no need to revert to that.

The football this season has been an improvement on last, but I think Parry's greatest mistake was his adoption of 'back to basics' once we lost a couple of games. Although recent matches have been fairly entertaining, we are back in the situation now where virtually every team we face retains possession in midfield better than us regardless of league position: Bury and Rochdale as much as Wednesday and Brentford. As well as being unattractive to watch, the reversion to the long ball has not done us any favours in trying to stem the poor run, as it has been imposed on a squad who were brought together in the summer with the intention of playing a more thoughtful, cultured game.

Don't understand the signing of James Wallace given that finances are so tight (surely this means any loan striker we bring in will be of reduced quality ?) unless Labadie's departure is imminent.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with you about Wallace. Even with Ash injured there's still Joss or Max Power available and nothing to suggest that Wallace will score more than Labadie. In fact given Ash/Goodi/Raven injury issues another central defender would seem a higher priority.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see the point and agree that ideally Les would have brought in a striker and a defender. However, maybe his choice is limited. His reasoning is that we need some new blood to shake things up a bit. I said this myself in an earlier post. Getting LEA and Wallace in for a month will be no bad thing. Let's face it, Les has difficulty fielding fit 11 and a bit more competition is no bad thing.

I'm pretty confident about Lateef being successful as he's a known quantity. I'm less sure about James Wallace, who spent a month at Stevenage without playing a game. He has potential, but I hope we see more.

Player
Manager
John King
Well, as it stands we have 17 minutes to sign our elusive striker. Billy Paynter is the latest player we are rumoured to have made a request for, following on from Freddy Eastwood.

Anyone heard any news / gossip ?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not a sausage. We just can't compete financially. It would have been great to have had an experienced striker in on loan. Well, there's always Akins. :-D

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
Up the creek with out any one at the club who can put the ball in the back of the net consistantly....!

League 2 becons ?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It would be interesting to know exactly who we were after (and where they actually ended up). Doubt we'll ever find out, unless someone does turn up when the emergency window opens again.

At the moment, we are still creating chances. It may be that with a bit more match experience, Ryan Brunt is able to convert more than the existing strike force. Les for all his faults has a decent eye for a player; Sordell ending up in the Prem, albeit with notlob, an example. Disappointed rather than devastated is my mood right now.

Player
Liam Palmer
“I went to look at two strikers at Stalybridge who play in the Blue Square Conference North but we could not afford them. People say why don’t you look in the lower divisions for players but players who can score goals are expensive. The work is being done in trying to pull it around.” - Les Parry

Blimey!

Player
Manager
John King
The Lateef loan deal was ended because we couldn't afford to stump up our percentage of his wages, and we could face similar problems with James Wallace. It is a pity that we had to blow so much of the remaining budget on Rachubka.

It seems that finances are ridiculously tight even by our standards, with the bank possibly tightening the screws on us.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It seems that finances are ridiculously tight even by our standards, with the bank possibly tightening the screws on us.[/QUOTE]

Think you will find thats down to PJ and nothing to do with the bank.

Player
Manager
John King
Think you will find thats down to PJ and nothing to do with the bank.

Maybe, but it seems strange that funds are being withheld at a time when we desperately need some new blood (or at least a new striker). Last season we had a constant stream of loanees, even when we were in decent form.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I presume all this relates to last month, since the transfer window has been closed so we couldn't buy anyone now. In the current climate, can't imagine we'd have had to pay a lot of money for a Conference North striker, so how poor are we financially? Can't help wondering if we'd have been better off finding the money to extend Lateef's loan as at least he's got history for finding the net, rather than another month of the creative Wallace, who's lacking in that department. Guess Brunt going back too, given Enoch is allegedly almost match-fit.