• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Transfer window

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, at least he'll bring a bit of spark back into the side, and hopefully chip in with some goals.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
LEA did well the last time we had him on loan, hoping for a repeat. However, I wouldn't class him as an out-and-out striker, wonder if he'll be deployed out wide or in the hole, Baxter style.

White_Magic

Player
Ian Moore
Possible striker

Just looking at a few options in the lower leagues due to our finances (or should i say lack of!) and i've found a few players who i think would bring a bit of spark to the squad...

Magno Viera (Fleetwood Town) - Ive seen him play a few times and he can be a real stand out player for Fleetwood. I know that Fleetwood aren't exactly a great team but Viera has pace and is good on the ball...and doubt he would turn down an offer to play at a higher level.

Craig Davis (Chesterfield) - Proven goal scorer over the past couple of years and has bagged 9 goals in 15 games so far this term...still only young and onw to keep an eye on.

Shaun Miller (Crewe) - Youngester who has been at Crewe since he was a nipper and has scored a fair few goals. Maybe he would be willing to step up a level and chance his arm in another league. (May even be a loan possibility)

Not after a scout job or anything...but Les...get on the blower and sign us a goal scorer!!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Lateef is an excellent signing, pace, movement and a very good goalscoring ratio. Given Tiryaki's impressive performance on Saturday, I would imagine he will replace Akins on the right. Hopefully we can extend the loan beyond one month as well.

DIW

Player
Goodison
This might sound weird but a guy I know in the gym mentioned to me tonight that he had heard on radio City about some turkish Tranmere player being under offer from Trabzonspor. £500000 was the figure he quoted although he wasn't sure and it sounds a bit much for me.

Anyone else heard anything about this one?

Player
Manager
John King
Wouldn't selling Tiryaki at this stage be suicidal, particularly in light of tonight's result ? Presumably none of that money would be available for a replacement, even if one could be lined up in the last fortnight in January.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Am I the only one who finds this a bit strange? A non-league player last year and still learning his trade as a full-time pro in League One, he is wanted by a top Turkish side. If it really is true, I can't see how we can now keep him. He's only on a one-year contract, so presumably he could go for nothing in June. I'd like to see him stay and develop, but the temptation to cash in might prove irrestistable. If we get, say, £100k, then I would hope the money could be used to fund three or four loanees, but I won't hold my breath.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We should sell him and hopefully at least use a bit of the money for a replacement or two

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Magno Viera (Fleetwood Town) - Ive seen him play a few times and he can be a real stand out player for Fleetwood. I know that Fleetwood aren't exactly a great team but Viera has pace and is good on the ball...and doubt he would turn down an offer to play at a higher level. QUOTE said:
I think Blackpool have bid £750k for a Fleetwood striker - if this is the guy then we nee a whip round I fear.

I think the les out stuff is rubbish. He does make the odd wierd selection choice, although there will be many fans who actually concur with him - But that is football. He has made signings such as McCrystal, and Holmes which were derided in many parts, who have now truned out to be excellent buys. He may even pick out some real nuggets if he had a few quid. :-D

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Higgy, the player you're thinking of is Jamie Vardy. Don't know much about this Viera White Magic mentions.

The Echo suggests it's not a 6-figure offer for Tiryaki. I can't see the club turning down any half-decent offer, but monies raised won't all go to fund a striker loan. A front line of Akins/McGurk/LEA supported by Cole Stockton doesn't hold out much promise for our goal tally, but it will be time to get seriously worried if Mustapha's not replaced.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think the les out stuff is rubbish. He does make the odd wierd selection choice, although there will be many fans who actually concur with him - But that is football. He has made signings such as McCrystal, and Holmes which were derided in many parts, who have now truned out to be excellent buys. He may even pick out some real nuggets if he had a few quid. :-D

I would add OFW, Buchanan, Labadie, Weir and most of our squad to that list. Les's record in the transfer market has been brilliant given they are all frees and we pay peanuts. He made a few mistakes early on (Morrow), but I can't imagine anyone doing much better nowadays.

If Les gets the boot now, I can't imagine anyone with any experience or commonsense wanting the job. Les has worked miracles for three seasons and deserves our support. Morale seems to be holding up well in the circumstances and the players know they have got to take responsibility.

We are only a couple of new ingredients and a change of luck (key decisions, injuries, illness) from being a reasonable team. LEA could be one of those ingredients, especially if he gets to stay until the end of the season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
How has Les worked miracles? the football we play is especially at home is dire and route one to an isolated striker. Yes some good players have been signed but the way they are playing is awful to watch.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
How has Les worked miracles? the football we play is especially at home is dire and route one to an isolated striker. Yes some good players have been signed but the way they are playing is awful to watch.
By miracles, I don't mean we play like Barcelona. Even Pep Guardiola would find that difficult on our budget. I think you'll find most other fans and their managers have a lot of respect for what Les has achieved with one hand tied behind his back. If we get a mid-table finish (as I think we will), then I think he will have seriously overachieved.

Player
Manager
John King
The Echo suggests it's not a 6-figure offer for Tiryaki. I can't see the club turning down any half-decent offer, but monies raised won't all go to fund a striker loan. A front line of Akins/McGurk/LEA supported by Cole Stockton doesn't hold out much promise for our goal tally, but it will be time to get seriously worried if Mustapha's not replaced.

It strikes me as a bit bizarre that we are prepared to sell Tiryaki for a figure of less than 100k in the current circumstances. Are we really prepared to trade survival for a fee of that size ? I am not suggesting that Mustafa is some Alan Shearer figure, just that any of the names you mention would struggle to play a lone striker role (apart perhaps from Stockton who is not ready yet).

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
By miracles, I don't mean we play like Barcelona. Even Pep Guardiola would find that difficult on our budget. I think you'll find most other fans and their managers have a lot of respect for what Les has achieved with one hand tied behind his back. If we get a mid-table finish (as I think we will), then I think he will have seriously overachieved.

To seriously overachieve we would need to be in a position to threaten the play offs like stevenage or rochdale not a relegation scrap like we are going though now.

1 win in 13 games is woefull as is the football that we are playing, it is seriously not acceptable but people seem blinded by the budget. Well is the budget the reason we play with just 1 isolated striker? Is the budget the reason we play a centre half in centre midfield ahead of two midfields even though he has been very poor in that position?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
According to sky sports website were supposed to be signing james wallace on loan from everton

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
To seriously overachieve we would need to be in a position to threaten the play offs like stevenage or rochdale not a relegation scrap like we are going though now.

1 win in 13 games is woefull as is the football that we are playing, it is seriously not acceptable but people seem blinded by the budget. Well is the budget the reason we play with just 1 isolated striker? Is the budget the reason we play a centre half in centre midfield ahead of two midfields even though he has been very poor in that position?

You can't consider our current run of form in isolation of our good form earlier in the season, and vice versa.

Les has been astute in a very competitive transfer market, but has shown some tactical incompetance at times - if he was proficient at all areas of management, he wouldn't be managing Tranmere. If he was completely useless we'd be bottom. We aren't. If he was brilliant we'd be in the playoffs. We aren't.

On balance, the fact remains that we are 16th, which is probably about right for a club of our stature. By whatever means he goes about it, Les is generally performing at around expectation.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It strikes me as a bit bizarre that we are prepared to sell Tiryaki for a figure of less than 100k in the current circumstances. Are we really prepared to trade survival for a fee of that size ? I am not suggesting that Mustafa is some Alan Shearer figure, just that any of the names you mention would struggle to play a lone striker role (apart perhaps from Stockton who is not ready yet).

I can't see an offer of £100k+ being made for Tiryaki. His contract is up at the end of the season though I don't know if the option to extend entitles us to compensation if he moves abroad despite an offer of a new deal at that point. So it makes sense purely on the basis we'd make a financial gain on a player we paid nothing for to cash in now, while Mustafa would surely enjoy the chance to ply his trade in the top flight of the Turkish game.

My earlier remark clearly agrees with what you're saying above about any of the "strikers" left being able to fill the lone role up front. However, Tiryaki doesn't comfortably fit into the target-man role either. Although it's a very big if, should we be able to recruit a rest of season loanee who is more suited to playing that way, it would fall into the good news all round category.

The idea of James Wallace on loan doesn't inspire me greatly, would prefer to see Max Power given an extended run-out in the side.

I'm sitting on the fence when it comes to the pros and cons of Les as manager. I do think for the most part, the quality of the football this season has been an improvement on the dross of last. However against Rochdale we largely abandoned the passing game, which had earned us a draw against Brentford; I was especially disappointed to see us ko by hoofing for touch again. Rochdale, for all their faults, weren't a team of cloggers and there was no need to revert to that.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Come on - lets be honest - we should snap this turkish sides hand off if they want to pay for Tiriyaki. His contract is up so it wont be much but given IMO he clearly isnt capable at this level of scoring regularly, lets let him go and try and bring someone in, even on loan, who can put the ball in the net.

I know lots will say no one is scoring for us and Chicken doesnt get many chances etc but despite of all that, I still dont think he is up to the task (just my opinion tho) and we need a drastic change up front to stop the slide.

Stockton is a young lad of course but I think he did enough the other night to suggest he could have a role to play this season.

Why Les is after James Wallace I dont know. He is a holding midfielder and we have Ash/Welsh who can play that role, plus Power if needs be. Unless Joss is going (and who can blame him after he didnt start the other night), and Les wants the numbers in, but can we afford this ?

Simply - we need a striker, on loan if needs be - why Les wants a midfielder is beyond me. Lateef will do a job wide but we need a front man. No chance whatsoever of signing Jamie Vardy.

As for Les out - I am alongside Boz on the fence with that. Far from perfect but could anyone else so any better with our current injuries/budget etc ?