• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere vs Man United (U21s)

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Interestingly MM seems to see it differently now- he was in his post match interview delighted to have had the game and delighted that the youngsters were able to play in a "proper" game of football mentioning how nowadays he has no other such games to blood the youngsters. He clearly felt that for Pilling Walker Rice Spellman etc. such games were the best opportunity he has to see what they can do so he can judge better how far off the first team they are....
I appreciate all the "evils" of the U21 teams yes but just another perspective and if it helps us speed up the development of our own youngsters then maybe not all bad??
MM is using the competition to his advantage - in whatever format - and that is quite right. He and the players are employees of a competing club, who belong to the structure that has organized that competition, so it would be unrealistic to expect any of them to express a public opinion on the issues discussed here. The fact is that the "proper" game of football should have been against another L1 or L2 team or a National League, Scottish, Welsh or Irish team if there was a desperate desire to make up the numbers. It would have been just as good an opportunity to blood the youngsters. I appreciate what you are saying but am not sure that it really is another perspective.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
MM is using the competition to his advantage - in whatever format - and that is quite right. He and the players are employees of a competing club, who belong to the structure that has organized that competition, so it would be unrealistic to expect any of them to express a public opinion on the issues discussed here. The fact is that the "proper" game of football should have been against another L1 or L2 team or a National League, Scottish, Welsh or Irish team if there was a desperate desire to make up the numbers. It would have been just as good an opportunity to blood the youngsters. I appreciate what you are saying but am not sure that it really is another perspective.
Agree completely. As I understand it, the club would be penalised if they publicly criticised the tournament, so you can take the comments of Mellon with a pinch of salt.

I have watched the full interview with Mellon and he seems to be arguing in favour of some modern version of the old Central League, where young and senior players would compete with and against each other, rather than speaking in favour of this competition in its current guise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Player
aldo
the old Central lg was great for rovers if it was not for that we would not have had some brilliant players most of them played for Kingy ......

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
the old Central lg was great for rovers if it was not for that we would not have had some brilliant players most of them played for Kingy ......
Sadly lost and long gone. We need to do what we can to stop the Premier League infiltrating the pyramid or we will be ruing the loss of EFL / traditional town teams in 10 years time. I won't be at the Leicester game and hope we break our attendance record again.