• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere vs Man United (U21s)

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
RHM gone to hospital for an x-ray according to MM

How did we line up, where was Connor Jennings deployed and Spellman?

I can only take this competition positively when there are no U21 teams left in and there are at least two still in; Leicester City and Manchester City.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Progression is so awkward because we hate the tournament in its current format but as it becomes more financially viable I guess we’ll commit to stronger team line ups although obviously the league remains our priority. In which case why progress if there’s little appetite to reach Wembley & the big bucks! Only followed the match on twitter tonight, looking bad for Rush’s injury? Our record for crocking loanees is second to none!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
RHM gone to hospital for an x-ray according to MM

How did we line up, where was Connor Jennings deployed and Spellman?

I can only take this competition positively when there are no U21 teams left in and there are at least two still in; Leicester City and Manchester City.
It looked like 4411 with Maddox behind Payne and Jennings and Spellman in midfield. I would go to the next game if we drew a league team, but I am still completely opposed to any involvement for under 21 teams.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I just wanted to add - and I know it is a bit of a whinge - but the standard of commentary on Ifollow is absolutely diabolical. Just irrelevant waffle most of the time, with more attention paid to United's kids tonight than to our youngsters. I feel sorry for anyone that has to rely on that service.

I appreciate that the commentators are volunteers, and that was fine when it was the free Wirral Radio service, but the commentary should be of professional standard now.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Well I thought that was a very entertaining game of football. There was also quite a lot of niggle towards the end which showed that the Man U players were up for it! In the circumstances I thought we played very well indeed.
Pilling great distribution (better than Davies in that respect) had no chance with either goal and made a couple of decent saves did ok overall. Woods was excellent as was Wilson - real shame he is banned for Saturday's big game...
Maddox was excellent as was Walker-Rice. WR dead ball deliveries were polished and we would likely create far more set piece chances if he was on the pitch. Wonder what MM thought of them both and whether they will be seriously considered going forward?
Spellman was only ok and is on this showing not likely to be threatening for a 1st team spot any time soon. Payne had no chances but was lively as a foil to the attack.
Overall a very encouraging strong performance marred only by the injury to RHM....

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Delighted we won but didn't attend - if the fans don't make a stand against the involvement of academy teams in this tournament then nobody will. Some short term pain to the club is minor when compared to the disaster awaiting many clubs if the richest clubs have 2 teams in the football pyramid. I understand that Palios is against the competition in its current format and attendances of 600 should only help to strengthen that opposition. So, while I appreciate those who made the effort to attend "no matter what", I applaud those who stayed away especially when it feels like an "unnatural" thing to do. Here's hoping we avoid Leicester or Man City in the next round.

I really hope the injury to RHM isn't as bad as feared; as mentioned many times he is young and a bit inconsistent but is a real talent who has become a key part of the squad.

Player
ian goodison
I fear this competition is just a foothold for the big teams to enter teams elsewhere in the football league

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I fear this competition is just a foothold for the big teams to enter teams elsewhere in the football league
That's exactly what it is and I am bemused as to why there isn't more vociferous and united objection by the fans of the "real" clubs in the competition.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They may be blinkered by the pound signs. 20k for winning a match might seem a reasonable amount for lower league clubs and enable them to bury their head in the sand until they start getting pushed down the pyramid by these U21 teams. Then they'll have something to say by which point it will be too late.

Like RLC says, 20k is a small price to pay for what lies ahead.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'll be outside with my banners!

ADD

Player
Norwood
They may be blinkered by the pound signs. 20k for winning a match might seem a reasonable amount for lower league clubs and enable them to bury their head in the sand until they start getting pushed down the pyramid by these U21 teams. Then they'll have something to say by which point it will be too late.

Like RLC says, 20k is a small price to pay for what lies ahead.
Interestingly MM seems to see it differently now- he was in his post match interview delighted to have had the game and delighted that the youngsters were able to play in a "proper" game of football mentioning how nowadays he has no other such games to blood the youngsters. He clearly felt that for Pilling Walker Rice Spellman etc. such games were the best opportunity he has to see what they can do so he can judge better how far off the first team they are....
I appreciate all the "evils" of the U21 teams yes but just another perspective and if it helps us speed up the development of our own youngsters then maybe not all bad??