• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Friendly Tranmere v Warrington town

Player
ian goodison
we need the same patience with results as some showed when we didn,t seem appear to be making when signing players, I,m sure the main thing is not getting any injuries after such a long lay-off

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It sounded like we were the better team for sixty minutes, at which point we made six changes due to fitness, including youngsters and trialists. At that point the structure of the team fell apart, which is not unexpected, even against limited opposition.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I can’t believe how serious people are taking friendly games. The players are just strolling around for fitness. There is no competitive edge. Relax. The team will be fit and ready for the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can’t believe how serious people are taking friendly games. The players are just strolling around for fitness. There is no competitive edge. Relax. The team will be fit and ready for the season.
Wish I could be as chilled as you, Ian. Accepting the main purpose of friendlies is to build up match witness and develop and understanding with new team-mates, surely there are benefits to confidence and morale by scoring, creating the goal or keeping a clean sheet, even in a friendly? Assuming Mike Jackson hasn't settled on his preferred starting xi yet, there are some trying to cement their place in the side and you'd hope they are competitive in putting forward a claim for a first team shirt.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I can see both sides of the coin but tend to agree with Boz - a 3-0 loss to Warrington who are also not fully fit etc. is just not something I think is acceptable pre-season or not.
Last season was poor pre-season and we were told it was only about fitness, getting the players to gel, we would be fine when the season started etc. etc. We then went W1 (against Bolton's kids) drew 3 and lost 6 before end of September which basically was our ultimate relegation right there.
Added to that we have Jacko an untried rookie Manager who surely being honest would be expecting better than that so far. Pressure will mount quickly if PNE and Burnley games are also poor. Looking forward to watching a much better performance tomorrow on the telly!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Looking forward to watching a much better performance tomorrow on the telly!!
They are not going out to perform. It’s a meaningless, uncompetitive match between two sides looking to gain fitness.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can see both sides of the coin but tend to agree with Boz - a 3-0 loss to Warrington who are also not fully fit etc. is just not something I think is acceptable pre-season or not.
I too can see both sides, but last season's poor start (which continued for several months) was due to a sub-standard squad. Only when we spent the FA Cup money and the new players started to gel did we start to show our true calibre. On paper, this squad is better than this time last year. I expect results to improve over the next few games once they are match fit and we field settled teams.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
My experience over the years is that very good pre-season results are usually followed by a poor season and vice-versa. It would be interesting to see if the stats back that up! Therefore, I'm not disappointed at all by this result and a defeat to a lower level side will certainly help us to focus. A lot more beneficial than a complacency generating comfortable victory by Rovers which would have been a fairly pointless waste of time.

ADD

Player
Norwood
hopefully better quality tomorrow... both picture and play wise

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
My experience over the years is that very good pre-season results are usually followed by a poor season and vice-versa. It would be interesting to see if the stats back that up! Therefore, I'm not disappointed at all by this result and a defeat to a lower level side will certainly help us to focus. A lot more beneficial than a complacency generating comfortable victory by Rovers which would have been a fairly pointless waste of time.
we weren't very good last pre season

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Who was it scoring the second goal - Messi??
Granted all about fitness, but the players who were already there and around "Messi" didn't have to catch him, but got turned inside out.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Do you think the same would happen in a competitive match when the players are fully fit willing to put a tackle in? You need to separate from a friendly game to a competitive one. There really is quite a difference.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’ve seen plenty of robust tackles in pre-season friendlies! Perhaps the absence of a crowd is a factor in making the players more cautious?