• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere v Crewe

Tranmere v Crewe
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, March 8, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, March 8, 2019 - 09:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Think Ronnie did something similar with Rotherham once from league 2 to the championship in successive seasons

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Think Ronnie did something similar with Rotherham once from league 2 to the championship in successive seasons
Yes, he did. I think Donny are the only club to be relegated from the league and make their way back up to the Championship, although it looks like Luton will repeat that feat this season.

Last edited:

drwhoman

I met a Lincoln supporter here in Armidale yesterday! A season ticket holder. Very positive about the Cowleys. He loved the Rhead - McNulty clashes - real old fashioned stuff! Looks like they will go up this season - have a big fan base and take a good number away. Have been helped by all the Cup money. Andrade was mentioned and the Imps man reckons he will go to the Championship if someone makes a good offer.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Not sure that cheers me up too much about Lincoln as I guess it’s a given but what I did review, maybe from a macabre but also learned perspective is how we went so far off track with Mark Edwards’ nervous naivety & Mickey Adams’ smug, almost arrogant attitude! Brabin steadied the ship although when you look at Palios’ body language on Gary’s appointment interview it wasn’t his usual confident posture. Which brings me to my point, we should be so grateful for the incredible position we find ourselves in now! Yes, Brabin signed Norwood & the previous managers never had anyone of that talent but Nors is the talent he is because of Mellon who augmented his potential (& Cook’s too). For the development of players all over the park, Monthe et al, the common denominator is our current boss! I’d take him over the Cowleys all day long as a perfect fit for our club & I’d tell any proud red imp that! ;)

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, Brabin signed Norwood & the previous managers never had anyone of that talent but Nors is the talent he is because of Mellon who augmented his potential (& Cook’s too). For the development of players all over the park, Monthe et al, the common denominator is our current boss! I’d take him over the Cowleys all day long as a perfect fit for our club & I’d tell any proud red imp that! ;)
Agree 100%. Even setting to one side his understanding of our club and his rapport with the fan base, Mellon's style of football is far more attractive than Cowley's.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Here is another fact for you. In six full seasons as a manager, Mellon has been promoted four times, while also making the play-offs in 2016-17 when he joined us in October. In the next couple of months he could make it six successful seasons out of eight.

It is an incredible record and I honestly believe he is the best manager in the lower divisions.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I’ve supported & attended since 1982 & both enjoyed/endured every memory since, however, I draw most inspiration from our lowest days pre-Johnson & ironically just post-Johnson. Some supporters have short memories & this is a special time right now! Whether it reaches or goes beyond the moon we shall see but I believe we have a manager who understands the Wirral more than any other manager understands their current local geographical area! I have relations in Grantham & there is very little to get excited about around Lincoln believe me which is probably why they’ve jumped on their club’s rapid improvement ...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree 100%. Even setting to one side his understanding of our club and his rapport with the fan base, Mellon's style of football is far more attractive than Cowley's.
The Cowley’s had Braintree playing attractive football. Could understand why they had Lincoln playing the way they do initially, given the personnel. It surprises me that they have stuck with that style, though as it seems to be working, perhaps it shouldn’t.

Totally agree with your assessment of Micky’s brand of football.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Here is another fact for you. In six full seasons as a manager, Mellon has been promoted four times, while also making the play-offs in 2016-17 when he joined us in October. In the next couple of months he could make it six successful seasons out of eight.

It is an incredible record and I honestly believe he is the best manager in the lower divisions.
I hadn't quite appreciated his record was quite so impressive. It's telling that when Shrewsbury were in a bot of trouble a couple of seasons ago, Micky got fired and since then their performances have not really improved and they are still near the bottom of League One. On the other hand, when Rovers had a very bad spell last season, Micky was backed and he was able to pull things round and get us promoted. There's a lesson there.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

I agree with you that Micky is a good manager and would even argue that after Mark Palios, he's the club's best asset, even more essential than Nors. However, in fairness I think many would claim Danny Cowley's record is also excellent. Three promotions and an FA Cup first round in eight years with Concord Rangers, NL play-offs in his only season at Braintree Town and probably two promotions and the play-offs with Lincoln City. Add to that the quarter finals of the FA Cup when still a non-league club and last year's FL Trophy win and his record is strong. He may have more financial backing with the Imps, but he still did well on a shoestring at Concord and Braintree.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree that Cowley's record is equally impressive, but Mellon is still the better fit for us IMO.

drwhoman

Do not disagree RLC. BTW, the supporter was impressed with the Crowley’s initial analysis at Lincoln probably reflecting their. Work background. They identified that a high proportion of NL goals were scored via a first or second touch in the box. Also, that Rhead was winning 90% of his heading duels. Obvious solution - wingers who could cross a ball!

Player
Manager
John King
Do not disagree RLC. BTW, the supporter was impressed with the Crowley’s initial analysis at Lincoln probably reflecting their. Work background. They identified that a high proportion of NL goals were scored via a first or second touch in the box. Also, that Rhead was winning 90% of his heading duels. Obvious solution - wingers who could cross a ball!
Hence why they play route one football, reliant on set plays, as opposed to our passing game.......

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree that Cowley's record is equally impressive, but Mellon is still the better fit for us IMO.
It will be interesting to compare them after another ten years. Being younger, Cowley probably has the greater potential, but he could burn out by getting a big club too soon. I think Micky will have a job in the EFL for as long as he likes - hopefully at TRFC.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought Lincoln were an excellent passing side when they played us at home.

drwhoman

I think both MM and the Cowleys are good Managers. We would be upset if MM left as would Imps fans with the Cowleys. At the risk of stating the obvious, the key is getting the best out of the squad you have to manage! 4-1 up against Grimsby. Great!

Player
Manager
John King
I thought Lincoln were an excellent passing side when they played us at home.
That is not typical of how they play, even by the admission of their own supporters. At the time, a number of them said it was the best they had played this season.

They have good individuals, but they are generally direct and physical.

Player
Manager
John King
It will be interesting to compare them after another ten years. Being younger, Cowley probably has the greater potential, but he could burn out by getting a big club too soon. I think Micky will have a job in the EFL for as long as he likes - hopefully at TRFC.
Mellon is hardly old at 46, and I would say he has every bit the same potential as Cowley.

Most importantly, he manages Tranmere, which is why I choose to eulogise him rather than the manager of an opponent.