• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Tranmere v Cheltenham

Tranmere v Cheltenham
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think it's clear now that 1 up front is jackos preferred formation, the hope is he can change his mind and try 2 up front.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
To quote their manager post match:

there was a 10 minute spell in the first half where they didn’t want to come out because they were almost happy to let us have the ball and we were happy because we were winning the game. That was the lowest key tempo 10 minutes in a League Two game I’ve seen for a while.

Says it all really

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think it's clear now that 1 up front is jackos preferred formation, the hope is he can change his mind and try 2 up front.
That is fine with someone like Norwood who is so dynamic but Vaughan is the complete opposite. surely Jacko must know this.

my guess is he’ll say we play 3 up front when say 4-5-1 becomes 4-3-3 but often that doesn’t work

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
That is fine with someone like Norwood who is so dynamic but Vaughan is the complete opposite. surely Jacko must know this.

my guess is he’ll say we play 3 up front when say 4-5-1 becomes 4-3-3 but often that doesn’t work
We have been here before with managers that are reluctant to play two strikers, and use strikers out of position (Parry, Brabin). They very rarely change their ways, but I think Jacko will have to if he wants to be here long term.

I think the centre of midfield is also a concern. If Spearing does not improve we might have to play three in there to compete, which would limit our attacking options.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What's also concerning is that the players who are experienced and should know what they are doing didn't seem to have a clue today. He's quite a confident guy Jackson and I'm wondering if he thinks he's a lot better then he actually is. Time will tell.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I always got the impression that as mickeys number 2, Jacko did all the coaching on the training ground whereas Micky was the manager, Watching what went on and making the tough decisions

To go from coach role to manager role must be a big change for him and you wonder what Dawes is like as first team coach.

As Ian says time will tell. Had we won 3-0 I wouldn’t be going overboard saying we’ll win the league so let’s give him a number of games first. If he persists and doesn’t change his ways then he’ll only have himself to blame and probably wouldn’t get another managers job again

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It would be nice to know what’s going on. Why does he prefer 5-4-1 and why is he playing men who are not match fit? You don’t get any insights from MJ. But it’s early days yet, although the goal drought is worrying.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Its the negativity and hoof ball style of play that is worrying. Players will get fitter and work with each other better the more games thy play, however that style of play will not get us anywhere. Teams will lap that up all day long if we just give them the ball back all the time.

The next few games will be very interesting given the investment in the squad.....

Player
aldo
hi, all had a weekend away and I am glad seeing the dross on sat. the worry is this we only scored 1 in pre-season. and yes I know its a fitness exercise. in the four games this season only 1 goal. if the penny don,t drop with MJ soon he won,t last long. the last time he managed he did not to good. like all, I am willing to be patient but we will do nothing with 1 up top. the next few games will tell

drwhoman

A hard one for Mark and Nicola. A loyal servant but they cannot hang around too long. We need to get back up the ladder and a bad start will not help. Old Jay should understand that comng to Tranmere is not a retirement gig. He needs to get his finger out fast!

Player
aldo
the only thing I would say is apart from MM. mp has not got the best record of hiring managers, apart from Rob Edwards who was not his choice, and mm they have not been too good brabbs was not too bad at first enough said

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
You’ve got to give Mike a fair chance. He got the job late in the close season and we were slower than most in recruiting - for very good reasons. The team needs time to learn his ways and to get match fit, which many of them aren’t even now.

Having said that, I’m sure Mark has a plan B, but I’m equally sure he’s nowhere near pressing the panic button.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do think there are quite a few of them that are not fully match fit yet, and I get that the team need to gel as there are a lot of new players but I just thought overall his tactics were baffling. He'll be given time obviously but I do not think he'll get anywhere playing five at the back with a lone striker.

Reactions: Boz

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
You’ve got to give Mike a fair chance. He got the job late in the close season and we were slower than most in recruiting - for very good reasons. The team needs time to learn his ways and to get match fit, which many of them aren’t even now.

Having said that, I’m sure Mark has a plan B, but I’m equally sure he’s nowhere near pressing the panic button.
It's the lack of a pattern of play as much as formation issues that are a cause for concern and as for lack of fitness isn't every team in the same boat

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes, I agree, Ian. It would help if Mike explained the reason behind his formation. Is it his usual preference, does it depend on the opposition, is it due to the strengths of the squad or is it because some key players are not fully match fit? Personally, I can’t imagine 5-4-1 is his preferred system. He has the defenders for it, but not the forwards.

Reactions: Boz
Player
aldo
we just need to get a win and some goals with the lack of them its a good job the fans are not in the ground

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think following today's announcement it is inconceivable that crowds will be back in grounds this season. Given the implications for clubs in Leagues One and Two, there is surely a possibility the season will be abandoned in the lower divisions.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think following today's announcement it is inconceivable that crowds will be back in grounds this season. Given the implications for clubs in Leagues One and Two, there is surely a possibility the season will be abandoned in the lower divisions.
It certainly is looking that way, think there could be a number of clubs going to the wall.