• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere v Cheltenham

Tranmere v Cheltenham
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tranmere's second game back in the EFL and the first at Prenton Park since promotion see's us up against Gary Johnson's Cheltenham Town. The Robins will be looking to bounce straight back after their losing start to the campaign. A 63rd minute Ollie Palmer goal was enough to see Crawley Town make a winning start away from home against The Robins.

Tranmere will be hoping to build on the excellent 2-2 draw away at Stevenage.

All match discussions in here.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Early days but I’d love to see Tollit in the starting 11. But I wasn’t at yesterday’s game and by the sounds of it Smith and CJ did ok.

Expect the same line up unless Norburn is available in which case he’ll come in for Harris. Whilst out defence had a dodgy spell yesterday by all accounts, still think Ellis will be on the bench.

Prediction: a rovers win.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Ben did well when he came on and had their left back in real trouble every time he got the ball with his direct running. Smith looked dangerous when on the ball and was linking up really well with Caprice. CJ did ok, and worked really hard.

Norburn was a big miss. Harris did ok but gave the ball away too often trying first time passes whereas Banks kept the ball really well and looked good carrying it forward.

It was such an open game, it could easily have been 4-4, which is a concern as we do need to sharpen up at the back. I think MM will keep the same starting 11, unless Norburn is fit.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the game was so open yesterday because we were playing 442 away from home against a decent side. With only two men in midfield you are not going to have the same control at this level as we did away to Maidstone or Solihull in the National League, and the game is inevitably going to be more end to end. Whether Micky decides to change system away to the better sides in future, time will tell.

Positionally the midfielders need to be better than they were yesterday, particularly Harris. He tends to go chasing the ball at times, whereas at this level you just have to sit in front of the back four and offer some protection on occasions.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think Micky must have wanted to keep the momentum going with a win and he certainly would not have wanted to play negatively in the first match of the season. But yes, I would expect to see 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 employed for most away games. After all, he has the personnel to play this way.

Player
Manager
John King
I was not criticising Mellon for going 442, but inevitably the opposition are going to get chances if you play that way,

Player
aldo
With over 4000 sales already looking like a bumper crowd . With a encouraging performance on Saturday lets hope we can build on it . And get a positive result . Would love noors to get more . And we should hope we might have another player in place

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I know it's only one game, but you wonder how reliant we'll be on Norwood this season as he's a long way ahead in terms of quality in the forward positions. I'd still like to see Jennings up there as he's wasted on the wing.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I know it's only one game, but you wonder how reliant we'll be on Norwood this season as he's a long way ahead in terms of quality in the forward positions. I'd still like to see Jennings up there as he's wasted on the wing.
Agreed. CJ's a key player so he'll always make the team if fit, but 4-4-2 makes it difficult to use him in the best way. We need two tackling central midfielders to play this system, so CJ ends up on the wing. He might make a stopgap striker, but I'd prefer Mullin up front to him.

Player
aldo
Agree with what being said for cj he should be up top and should be getting 12/20 goals a season he is more than capable . Its gonna be realy interesting to see who this player he might be bringing in and who might be leaving to fund it

Player
ian goodison
IAN couldn,t agree more about conor to me he,s the best footballer at the club I don,t think we give him credit as to how good he is he,s more than capable of scoring more goals but it,s mickys job to work out an appropriate system

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Ref Cheltenham game - it looks like Norburn won't be around. Further confirmation on Twitter he will defo be signing for Shrews. Might now need a striker and a midfielder before deadline. Late in the day, so hopefully some pre planning has been done.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Jennings' best position is in the number ten role, behind two strikers. A 532 system suits him better than the way we are playing at the moment, but whether it suits the rest of the team is a moot point.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky has a conendrum on his hands with CJ. If we play 5-3-2 with Connor behind the front 2 then where do the likes of Tollit, Smith and Larnell Cole fit in?

You could play CJ up front in a 4-4-2 but he’s better playing deep in my view as he can spot a pass like he did with the first goal on Saturday. I think mickys preference is 4-4-2 usually and if so, I think CJ will play wide. He did most of last season but if it keeps a fit Tollit out of the team then it’s a contentious decision. Unless we win of course.

Player
Manager
John King
Returning to Saturday's game, I would expect Norburn to return to the side in place of Harris if he is fit / still here but I think we will be otherwise unchanged. The atmosphere at Stevenage last week was incredible and I am sure this will be an even greater occasion.

Setting aside the understandable euphoria of our return to the League, this is a match we really need to win. Cheltenham will probably finish in the bottom half and in the next few weeks we have a very difficult run of fixtures against Swindon, Vale, Mansfield and Northampton. If we don't pick up three points on Saturday we could find ourselves near the bottom in a month's time.

Cheltenham's squad is much-changed since they beat us to the National League title in 2016, but Gary Johnson remains at the helm and Scott Flinders, once of Hartlepool, is a familiar name in goal. They are still pursuing Danny Rowe as a replacement for the recently departed Eisa, but I doubt they will sign him.

Prediction: narrow Rovers victory and hopefully a bumper crowd of 7-8,000.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Last Saturday's was a good result and coming back from a two-goal deficit gives the team some momentum which it must capitalise on. I can't see any reason to change the formation or to tinker with the team, except to bring Norburn back. Anything other than a win will leave us stuck in the bottom half of the table. However, given a fair wind, I think we'll do something we never did in the NL - beat Cheltenham at PP.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
YouTube pre match interview is approx 107 seconds long. Never normally that short. Is that because they want people to subscribe and have the whole one?

I wouldn’t mind so much but it was going back to the daft questions. How important is it to make PP a fortress. I’d rather know how much Norburn went for

Player
Manager
John King
YouTube pre match interview is approx 107 seconds long. Never normally that short. Is that because they want people to subscribe and have the whole one?
I think so. That, and trying to avoid the subject of Norburn.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Register/ sign in on the website and you get the full 7+ mins for free.