• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere Rovers vs Doncaster Rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's quite ridiculous when you think how quick we went from the conference to division one in such a short space of time and then consider the OTT reactions from some supporters. In hindsight instead of playing through a toxic second half of the season we would have been better building at league two level until we had a squad ready to step up, as it's quite a step.

I was hoping the building period would have happened in this division but the gulf in class is too much.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, it would have been easier for the club if we had consolidated in League Two for another season, not that I did not enjoy Wembley last May and aspects of this season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes. I’ve said before that Micky is a victim of his own success. Not many managers get successive promotions. But ironically it will end up with a likely relegation on his CV

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's difficult to see where we go from here. I thought things were bad when we failed to get anything out of the Bolton game, losing to Doncaster was less of a surprise, though the line-up Micky picked with some players not in their best position was puzzling. While accepting there is a significant gulf between L1 and L2, not totally convinced Rovers have made the best use of the squad available and the odd extra point here and there might still make a difference.

Does anyone know what the crowd was last night, couldn't find it on the o/s.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Looking back on last night you can see the type of player Manny is.
He did well when alongisde experienced McNulty last season. Then early this season the defence struggled when he was with Nelson. Then with experienced Clarke he’s looking good again but last night he was hopeless. Clearly needs an experienced head alongside him to give him a rollicking when required and to be vocal and organise things
I think Manny's form has dipped recently, but unsure with the rest of your analysis, Sparky. He played well alongside Mark Ellis, but also with Sid Nelson after Mark's season-ending injury. Rather than continue with that fledgling partnership at the start of this season, someone decided to pair him with Ray, which didn't work and things improved when he was put back with Nelson and as part of a back 3.

Clarke is an organiser and it's not just Monthe of the current defensive options that needs to play alongside that type of player. His absence has made our slim survival chance feel a lot more distant.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Manny's form has dipped recently, but unsure with the rest of your analysis, Sparky. He played well alongside Mark Ellis, but also with Sid Nelson after Mark's season-ending injury. Rather than continue with that fledgling partnership at the start of this season, someone decided to pair him with Ray, which didn't work and things improved when he was put back with Nelson and as part of a back 3.

Clarke is an organiser and it's not just Monthe of the current defensive options that needs to play alongside that type of player. His absence has made our slim survival chance feel a lot more distant.
I think Sparky is spot on, to be honest. Clarke is by far the best of our defenders and Monthe looked very comfortable alongside him. His form was good prior to Clarke's injury.

For all of Ray's shortcomings, Monthe and Nelson have not been convincing at all as a partnership at this level.

Clarke is only out for another week or so.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I think Sparky is spot on, to be honest. Clarke is by far the best of our defenders and Monthe looked very comfortable alongside him. His form was good prior to Clarke's injury.

For all of Ray's shortcomings, Monthe and Nelson have not been convincing at all as a partnership at this level.

The timing of Clarke's injury has been so unfortunate, he was making a real difference. Mind you, did he manage 4 games before being injured? That's quite an achievement for one of our players this season. Sorry, gallows humour kicking in ...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

Manny had only played a few games with Clarke before the latter’s injury. I felt Manny had a poor game v Man Utd [playing alongside Clarke] and commented on that in the match thread; against challenging opponents he appeared well below par in comparison to team-mates. Ellis who is a good defender but not an organiser also paired up well with Monthe.

It will be good to get Clarke back though.

Player
Manager
John King
Manny had only played a few games with Clarke before the latter’s injury. I felt Manny had a poor game v Man Utd [playing alongside Clarke] and commented on that in the match thread; against challenging opponents he appeared well below par in comparison to team-mates. Ellis who is a good defender but not an organiser also paired up well with Monthe.

It will be good to get Clarkeback though.
I don't think the Man United game was a good gauge of any player's performance. We were playing world class opposition.

In the league games they played together, Clarke and Monthe were very solid, as they were in the Watford matches. There was a definite improvement in Monthe's performance alongside Clarke.

Ellis played well with Monthe in League Two, but I am talking about performances in League One, which is a different kettle of fish. Monthe was more erratic at the higher level, prior to Clarke's arrival.

drwhoman

Agree re Norwood. Regrettably a big sum has to go on the pitch in the summer. We will not get away with having a substandard pitch for another season.Quite apart from Liverpool I would see the EFL taking a close interest. What money is left will go on the squad. As has been said before I do not anticipate our having a squad able to challenge for promotion next season but hope springs eternal!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think the Man United game was a good gauge of any player's performance. We were playing world class opposition.

In the league games they played together, Clarke and Monthe were very solid, as they were in the Watford matches. There was a definite improvement in Monthe's performance alongside Clarke.

Ellis played well with Monthe in League Two, but I am talking about performances in League One, which is a different kettle of fish. Monthe was more erratic at the higher level, prior to Clarke's arrival.
Beat me to it!

I said in my comment on the Man Utd thread that "Manny Monthe seemed unusually hesitant" Other players despite the higher level of the opposition played as well, or in some cases, like Corey, better than expected. My perception was Manny was below par for this game, although he was playing with Clarke. I'm not sure Manny's recent dip in form can purely be attributed to Clarke's absence, as he played better at times before Clarke joined.

This doesn't change the fact that we're missing Clarke badly for his ability to organise the defence, which includes all of the defenders full-backs or 3rd central defender when played.

Player
ian goodison
I think we are being a bit optimistic on here thinking things will turn round with Clarke back in the team, it may help monthe but we have bigger problems to worry about, dreading the atmosphere on sat. if Portsmouth take us to the cleaners

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
I said in my comment on the Man Utd thread that "Manny Monthe seemed unusually hesitant" Other players despite the higher level of the opposition played as well, or in some cases, like Corey, better than expected. My perception was Manny was below par for this game, although he was playing with Clarke. I'm not sure Manny's recent dip in form can purely be attributed to Clarke's absence, as he played better at times before Clarke joined.

This doesn't change the fact that we're missing Clarke badly for his ability to organise the defence, which includes all of the defenders full-backs or 3rd central defender when played.
Monthe has played better with Clarke than he has at any other stage this season.

He did fine with other partners in League Two (including Nelson), but this is a different level and he had never looked completely comfortable until Clarke arrived.

The fact that Jesse Lingard and a world cup winner skinned him in the United game, is not really relevant to the wider point I was making.

Player
Manager
John King

Not in League One he didn't.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Monthe has played better with Clarke than he has at any other stage this season.

He did fine with other partners in League Two (including Nelson), but this is a different level and he had never looked completely comfortable until Clarke arrived.

The fact that Jesse Lingard and a world cup winner skinned him in the United game, is not really relevant to the wider point I was making.
Not in League One he didn't.
We’re going to have to agree to differ again.
Manny had 2 or 3 MoM performances this season prior to Clarke’s arrival. I didn’t see either Watford game or the game at Southend live, so it may be he turned in awesome performances for those. In the home game with Ipswich he was steady.

In the Manchester Utd game Manny made an early unforced error when under no pressure he gave the ball to an opposing player. This seemed to unsettle him and while you make allowances for the quality of the opposition, even with Clarke alongside he wasn’t at his best that day.

KTF makes a valid point about Clarke. While he has already and will improve the defence on his return, he’s not the cure for all our defensive issues and there needs to be realism about what a returning Clarke can actually deliver.