• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere Rovers vs Doncaster Rovers

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
A big game for us where we need to show some reaction to Saturday's performance. A difficult opponent who fall into a similar "yo-yo" category as Rotherham. As mentioned in the Bolton thread it wouldn't be a disaster if this one was postponed giving time for additional rest and recovery while MM takes stock of his available personnel and potential formation. On that score there are some major decisions to be made; 1 or 2 upfront - if 2 which 2, 4 or 3/5 at the back? We certainly need to show more tenacity and there needs to be more leadership and grit shown - Perkins back in? Depending on the defensive formation will Caprice be dropped? Is CBT fit to play and, if so, will he? There are a huge amount of options at MM's disposal - the decisions relating to our more attacking players being more welcome ones than those relating to our defensive capabilities. In fact it is really difficult to name more than a small handful of players who you would say are guaranteed to start, which is not an ideal position to be in as we enter February (although there are genuine reasons for this). One things is for certain, in that the opportunities to "roll the dice" are reducing by the week so Mickey is going to have to get more of the key decisions right than not if we are going to be a) competitive and b) have a chance of taking points from this match. Ideally Mickey gets his decisions right, we are competitive, take something from the game, avoid injuries/sendings off and can develop with the same/similar personnel for the Pompey and Gas matches.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Doncaster are the only team in the division we are yet to play and have a reputation as an excellent footballing side, so it won't get any easier for us on Tuesday.

On the assumption that none of the injured players are available, I would go with a team something like this:

Davies
Wilson Feeney / Nelson Monthe Woods
Morris Woodyard Danns / Perkins / Jennings Gilmour
Vaughan Cook

Gilmour has received a lot of criticism for his performance yesterday, but I thought he was fine. He always looked to play forward and rarely gave the ball away. In my view, he was let down by poor performances from Jennings and Ferrier in particular, who did not offer him any options on the ball.

It goes without saying that we need three points.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Defo a tough game in store.
We should certainly stick with Gilmour as someone who can play a creative pass.
I've included a couple who maybe fit enough to play.
Davies
Woods, Feeney, Monthe
McCulloch
Wilson, Woodyard, Gilmour, Rides/Morris
Vaughn/CBT and Cookie

I like the idea of a CBT and Cookie combo. Bit of pace to compliment Cookie's strength and finishing skills.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
My stab:

Davies
Wilson Feeney Monthe Woods
Morris Perkins Woodyard CBT
Vaughan Cook

Pilling Jennings Danns Gilmour Rides Nelson Payne

So many possible variations that I'd be gobsmacked if MM actually chose this team, though!

Player
aldo
yes time for jennings to drop out and the ferry man who is poor more often than good and don,t score enough . can poss see danns and not perkins play lets the cookie monster loose can see him wanting to prove a point or two . and he knows the fans love him

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not a clue about the line-up. I think it may be asking too much for a win, given the calibre of the opponents, though we really need all the points

Player
ian goodison
haven,t been able to second guess MM all season but would love pilling to start (not a chance by the way) caprice binned just for starters starting to dislike going to matches at present it,s not getting beat although it,s not ideal but we seem devoid of ideas from the manager/coach and appear to be sleep walking to relegation, maybe cookie will lift the place who knows

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
caprice binned just for starters starting to dislike going to matches at present it,s not getting beat although it,s not ideal but we seem devoid of ideas
I'd agree with this. It's a bit stale at present and Caprice has been pretty poor. Let's hope a win tomorrow is just the tonic we need.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Davies
Wilson Feeney Monthe Woods
Morris Perkins Woodyard CBT
Vaughan Cook
I’d go with this team to start as we have a mix of experience and youth. Wanted to fit Gilmour in but he’s a good option from the bench especially if CBT does not perform. He can be quite hit and miss I think dependant on what mood he’s in.
More than anything though, I want to see them giving 100% to the cause and not like the shambles we witnessed on Saturday.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I’d go with this team to start as we have a mix of experience and youth. Wanted to fit Gilmour in but he’s a good option from the bench especially if CBT does not perform. He can be quite hit and miss I think dependant on what mood he’s in.
More than anything though, I want to see them giving 100% to the cause and not like the shambles we witnessed on Saturday.
Whatever team we go with, I'd like to see the bench get used even if we are winning. Barring unforeseen circumstances I'd be planning changes on 60 and 70 minutes to try and keep fresh legs. We should be in a position to do that without sacrificing player "quality" now that we have better choices in the middle. Whether MM will agree is, of course, an entirely different matter!

Player
ian goodison
trouble is micky always seems to be re-active rather than pro-active when it comes to subs

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Barring a huge downpour today the game should be on.

Player
aldo
its supposed to be dry from midday , just need a win an ugly one and i don,t mean cookie it would be brill if he got a 94th bullet header or one of his 35yarder hits some thing to spark the boys in to life

Player
aldo
so how does mm get the team making more chances for the boys up top what needs changing . scotty wilson mammy feeney rides woodyard danns gilmour morris cook and james we need goals and we need to stop being so soft . we need to kick other teams around . and start taking hold of things . like me in the kitchen if my cake is shit . we take it apart go though it with our brains sort out the issues remake it to get it better . but if your to bloody stubborn to change it makes things harder

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Feeney goes back to Everton for hamstring treatment. Assuming Clarke is missing that means Manny with either Nelson, Ray, Woods or Rides. Depends if MM plays 4 or 5 at the back

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky quite clear pre match that we must play to cookies strengths. Andy certainly couldn’t play on his own so expecting two up top from now on with some width from either wingers or wing backs.