• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere rovers sports dinners

Player
aldo
so the clubs First sports dinner is coming the guest speakers are Joe Thompson and Stacy Copeland, now I am not against stuff like this as it helps the club, but with ticket prices a Table 8 £540 or £65 a ticket or VIP at £640 or £80 a ticket that is very steep when you think of what people have gone through over the last 18 months hope it works but I won't be bothering or thinking too much over it

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Agree its a lot of money, it will be interesting to see how popular at is as I'm not sure it will be that popular

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
If this was in a five star restaurant, I would be interested. However due to the experience of the platinum room or whatever it's called. Or the tent, I'm sorry I would rather go to Georgio's and watch the sport on television with a couple of tinnies.

I may be wrong, but haven't they tried something similar a few years back?
And the take up was minimal because of the high prices.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
If this was in a five star restaurant, I would be interested. However due to the experience of the platinum room or whatever it's called. Or the tent, I'm sorry I would rather go to Georgio's and watch the sport on television with a couple of tinnies.

I may be wrong, but haven't they tried something similar a few years back?
And the take up was minimal because of the high prices.
I think you are right about this being tried before and not working

Player
aldo
I have asked the club on a few occasions if I could help with menus and stuff like it but they have never got back its there loss I would love to help only this week I have been told I am getting a big pay rise and when you think in the last 18 months we have been closed 12 months we are bucking the trend and making money and the compliments we are getting through emails or cards and in-person is brilliant, to do quality food in the lounges and affordable for the club is so easy to do in ten days I am doing a party for 200 covers, steak and ale pie all individual and sticky toffy pudding with a brandy butterscotch and homemade honeycomb ice cream,will take me two days to set up,and ten mins to serve

Player
aldo
yes it was a night with the likes of Nevin, Muir, and so on, no need to charge so much, we do music nights we charge £12-£16 and you get a curry or a Lasagne or something similar, always tasty and we always have 100 in, we normally take £4k on the bar sometimes even more thats the way to go, and our comedy nights are the same and we do a few a month

Player
aldo
I have an amazing team and thats how we do things so brilliantly in the kitchen and front of house amazing team

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Why are they charging so much?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
For £65 you’d expect an above average meal and a well known, popular speaker. I’m not sure this is an attractive proposition or value for money, but I hope they make some money.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Has anyone tried to hire a room lately?
A mate of mine wanted to have his 30th birthday party in Aldos about four years ago, he only wanted the room and bar. No food, no service, no frills. He had a DJ all lined up.
Fifty guests.

I think that he was told that the only option for was for buffet or sit down.

For that if my memory serves me well was around £350.
He went somewhere else which charged £80 for the room and a buffet was thrown in for nowt. The takings over the bar was somewhere close to £5k.

Why are they charging so much?

I believe that inflation has risen sharply.

To keep the riff raff on Twitter away.

I would imagine that your average after dinner speech would be someone famous (ish) who is expecting a princely fortune for speaking. And they have reviewed certain similar events and come up with a ball park figure.
Taking into account bar takings and the ticket price, they are hoping to make a decent profit.
Bet you they charge for the cloakroom facilities?

Whatever happened to the collection buckets around the ground, that would be better and no outlay! (Ha)