• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

tranmere lost 2.5m in nat lg

Player
aldo
reading that rovers lost 45 grand a.week in the non lg . is maddness .but not to be suprised at . reading about the off the field stuff and other things is interesting . i don.t know how to put the link on the thread . but its on news now . thank god we got out . of that lg when we did

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think that is taken from the directors' report in the 2018 accounts, which were published this week. I have not read them yet, but I think it is fair to say that promotion last season was essential.

It is interesting that Palios says he is actively looking for new investors.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Being relegated to the NL is something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. It's hell to get out of, even with the best of owners.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The recent accounts are quite frightening. We wouldn’t have been able to sustain that level of loss for another season, so if we’d not got promoted back into the FL, who knows what cutbacks might have been necessary. On the positive, it seems like we’re on course to make a small profit this year.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There would have been a number of job losses if we had not got promoted but thankfully we did.

We need to continue to back the club as much as we can, the season ticket sales are vital in playing a part in setting the playing budget.

Player
ian goodison
I came across this article on the chester fc forum opens your eyes to the financial side of things behind the scenes

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It is interesting that Palios says he is actively looking for new investors.
I think this was the plan from the start. Stabilise the club then look for new investors. I suppose this is what he's been doing for years. Rescue businesses from collapse.

Player
Manager
John King
I have attached the full accounts.

The club made a pre-tax loss of £2.4 million last year, so it is apparent we made a calculated gamble that we would be promoted if we invested heavily in the playing squad for a third season running. Thankfully the gamble paid off.

Despite the substantial loss, we remained solvent due to MP converting £500,000 of his loans to shares. We still owe MP £2.7 million according to the directors' report, which shows that our turnaround has come at significant personal cost to him. Interestingly, we still owe PJ £400,000 and a loan of £300,00 was received from Wirral Borough Council in the year, which has now been fully repaid.

Turnover is down from £5.4 million to £4.6 million due to the abandonment of the concert idea, but when you consider that our commercial income is now £2.9 million compared to virtually nil when PJ was here, it shows how much the China / community / hospitality projects have generated for the club.

We have also set up a new company, Tranmere Rovers Football Club (International) Limited, which the foreign income will presumably be directed through.

Attachments

• 2018 accounts.pdf
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC, for the easy access and the succinct summary. It is clear that while the club still has considerable debt and is still being bankrolled by the Palioses, the business has been turned around and the future looks bright with a successful first-team and a loyal fanbase. Hopefully, matchday income will continue to grow, but I expect commercial income to rise even more and this will be what sustains the club. Commercial revenue is already nearly twice football-related income. Obviously, the more successful the team is on the field, the easier it is to generate non-football income.

As has been said, it is clear from the accounts that another season in the NL could have been disastrous. I doubt the directors would have been willing to dig into their pockets again to keep the club operating at the same level. Playing budgets would have had to fall and I can't see any realistic way we could have ever got out of the NL.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
RLC, from what I can gather we still have not got any money from the china project as it is proving very difficult to get the money out of the country

Player
ian goodison
I think the fans deserve a pat on the back for not becoming downhearted when we were relegated, the crowds then and now are really positive

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think the fans deserve a pat on the back for not becoming downhearted when we were relegated, the crowds then and now are really positive
I think that says a lot for the people of Birkenhead and the Wirral. I've never seen any stats, but apart from the away fans, I doubt we get many neutrals and our fanbase is probably at least 95% local, unlike our friends across the river.

Player
Manager
John King
RLC, from what I can gather we still have not got any money from the china project as it is proving very difficult to get the money out of the country
The international company was set up last month, so perhaps that will change quite soon.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While not quite neutrals, we do get a fair number of tourists, who are over for one of the Scouse games and come to PP as well. As distinguished from Rovers overseas fans from Scandinavia and the Netherlands who primarily attend for the Rovers games.

I agree, given a lot of our core support comes from one of the low income areas of the UK, that it held up very well during the NL years. That loyalty may have been a factor in the risk taken last season to get back into the FL and with the level of attendance this season, would seem to have been justified.