• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 4-1 Chesterfield!!!

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Thats two league doubles in a week after todays win. Sounded like we played very well especially after Chesterfield had taken the lead. Their wasn't really many chances before O'Hara struck the opener for Chesterfield on the half hour mark with what sounded like a great effort from 25-30 yards out. We did what was needed though and responded quickly as McAteer curled in a great cross and there was Sam Aiston on the end of it for his 2nd goal in two games on 36 minutes. Quite unbelievably we went 2-1 up 3 minutes later and it was Sam Aiston again. With his 3rd goal for Tranmere after he got on the end of Zola's flick on and fired home superbly from the edge of the box. There was still time for Tranmere to make it three in first half stoppage time when Zola's shot was parried into the path of Chris Greenacre who tapped home for his 16th goal of the season. It was 3-1 to Rovers at Half time.

The second half began with Chesterfield having a bit of possesion and Sharps did well to clear the ball in a dangerous situation. Although Tranmere got back on top and were passing the ball superbly with Jason McAteer having to take some credit for his performance. Tranmere could have had a fourth but Greenacres cross went just behind Zola and a McAteer free kick went just wide. Tranmere did get a fourth in the 65th minute though when Zola played the ball to O'Leary who sloted home well. Tranmere now had the points sewn up although Chesterfield nearly grabbed a consolation on two occasions when Folan had a shot saved well by Seremet and also fired over. Tranmere had a good amount of possession towards the end of the game but did take their foot of the gas a bit. Tranmere's subs included McAteer being rested after we went 4-1 up with Jennings coming on and he sounded ok. Also Facey came on for Zola and Tremarco was replaced by Harrison after suffering from a bit of cramp. All in all a good performance and good win which gives us some more breathing space now. I think we may even be up to 11th now. It's good that the fans who go week in week out got some goals and had something to cheer today and it sounded like they deservedly gave the players a good round of applause at the end. It's hard to pick a man of the match from listening to the game but i'd have to pick Sammy Aiston. Everytime he got the ball he sounded dangerous and his performance was capped by the two goals something he hasn't managed to do much of. Let's hope we can now go on a good run til the end of the season and finish in a respectable position! SWA!! SWA!!! :-D

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
Brill performance. Everyone had a good game. No critising to do, a good three points, lewt's enjoy the 6 points we've had this week!=D>

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Even though we went one nil down, we had played fairly well up until that point. Tranmere were playing the ball, enjoying the majority of possession. Their goal, great stike, caught everyone by surprise. The wind helped it on the way, it swerved onece or twice. Dino was rooted, didn't move at all.

You could see the lads were definately playing a lot better than in recent weeks. It's amazing what three points and a few goals can do! The team he's playing now look fairly good together. I don't care how akward Zola looks, he plays well with Greenacre and he had a great game today I thought setting up two of the goals.

Have to say, yes again, the opposition were poor. There really was nothing to them. They worked fairly hard as a unit, but they were lightweight up front and Dino really didn't have much to do.

Aiston was immense in the first half. Great first goal, sliding in on the post from an excellent pass from McAteer. His second though. WOW. The guy can't shoot, we all know it, but that was a corker! He's playing at his best at the moment, brimming with confidence. 3 goals in 2 games.

Great to see Greenacre get his 16th of the season. Think he'll hit 20 before the season is out.

Great performance, just what everyone needed. Climbing up to 11th, we can all relax a little more now. I'd like to see more of these performances. The lads can do it, we've seen it today. Looking forward to Friday night.

Ohh and finally. Credit to the official site for putting up some excellent post match pictures of today's game. Credit were credits due :)

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Yeah saw those photos just now... some good un's there! :-D Also nice to see some nice positive talk from Little for once. Surely he must keep with this first 11 as much as possible until the start of the season and keep playing players in their right positions as well as going all out for wins. We still have to be cautious we don't get sucked into the relegation fight again as a few teams have a game or two in hand on us. Although I think a win on Friday should realistically see us safe unless we had a disastorus end to the season. Should hopefully be at the game on Friday so i'm hoping to see what you guys saw yesterday! :-D

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
great performance by the super whites today
hopefully the little bashers will lay off for a while
aiston is looking like a quality signing, just wish we had kept paul hall though
great photos on the official; site by the way

Player
Morrisey
From what I have read the biggest plus from this and the swindon game is that our Midfield our being productive and not only that but they have scored 4 goals in 2 games! It is looking alot better for us now but we must keep on the up!

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
just keep it goin g is all you can ask for. Very impressed with Macca at the mo!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There seems to be little celebration over our 4-1 win. When we get beat the theads are always full of people complaining. When we win, we get like 6 replies. What's going on??

Anyways, I was watching the goals on Tranmere World last night and had to laugh as at one point, somebody from the stands shouted, "zola... wakey wakey"... He then went onto set up two goals, and did excellently in the build up.

Just before he was substituted people were shouting for him to leave the field?!? What?!? The guy played a good game and then setup two goals. What did Facey do when he came on? (well, apart from that header) :whistle:

Cut the guy some slack... :roll:

Ally

Player
Aldo
Well pleased by another 3 points and some quality finishing. Little seems to have worked out his strongest 11, although why it's taken so long is beyond me. That said, it's great to start winning again and hopefully 3 points on Friday will see us playing with much more confidence throughout the remainder of the season. Although there's only pride to play for now... isn't there??

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Ian said:
Anyways, I was watching the goals on Tranmere World last night and had to laugh as at one point, somebody from the stands shouted, "zola... wakey wakey"... He then went onto set up two goals, and did excellently in the build up.

Just before he was substituted people were shouting for him to leave the field?!? What?!? The guy played a good game and then setup two goals. What did Facey do when he came on? (well, apart from that header) :whistle:

Cut the guy some slack... :roll:

Ian, were you at the game? I know it sounds funny, but apart from setting up 3 goals, Zola was a waste of space! He looks lazy and disinterested and his movement and awareness leave a lot to be desired. If he was awake he could have bagged himself a goal or 2. It does happen that when he plays with Greenacre we look dangerous and he does do good things, but if he did them regularly he'd be great, he's just very frustrating at the mo.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
SCooperSomersaults said:
Ian, were you at the game? I know it sounds funny, but apart from setting up 3 goals, Zola was a waste of space!
Haha, apart from settings up 3 goals. Isn't that enough? =;
I actually think the lads does try, he just looks very awkward in his approach and hmm, yes, the first touch isn't always great. :whistle:
I do genuinely believe he adds a little more to our team when he plays. I must admit however I am the only one that sticks up for him in the whole JK stand! #-o

S

Steve

Tranmere 4-1 Chesterfield

By putting the same team out for the second game running, it instilled confidence into the players. Also Jason playing was a big difference as he is a wise head for the young players like Steve O and Carl to learn from. The defence looked solid, even panicker Jacko. Dino had probably his quietest game for a long while, lets face it no keeper would have saved their goal. The whole game was played in a great spirit, even when we were knocking it around pretending to be Brazil. I really enjoyed the game, which is a 1st for a very long time.:-D

Player
Morrisey
IMO if he plays good or bad he has been part of the team that has played very well in the last two games and he has also assisted 4 of our last 6 goals and when ever he plays greenacre seems to play v.well and often scores.

Take Makelele last season for Chelsea! He was fairly quiet, but he worked hard and put in dogged performances for the team! I see Zola like that. He is a link in the team and if he is taken out the team does not perform so well.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Tis true. I like to think as Zola as 'The Architect'.. no i'm not taking the piss. :lol:

With Delroy and Greenacre on the pitch, there's no zest up front, no creativity. Zola puts himself about when he really wants to.

Of course, McAteer is playing a part right now, but look how flat we became when Zola went off. I'll make a bet now that we'll score more goals with Zola in the squad than we will with Facey in the squad.. :twisted:

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
Yeah i'd have to agree that from what i've heard from people at the matches the team play better with Zola on the pitch. I think his physical presence slightly scares the opposition defence too!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Ian said:
I do genuinely believe he [Zola] adds a little more to our team when he plays. I must admit however I am the only one that sticks up for him in the whole JK stand!
This reminds me of an article by Danny Baker a while back, can't remember which newspaper's sports pages it was in, probably the Times I suppose as they have a habit of bringing in guest writers to have a say purely based on their name, and usually what's written is a load of old tripe. Anyway I'm getting off track again..

Ah yes, anyway the article was about Peter Crouch. No, well, that's wrong it wasn't about Peter Crouch, but it started off by referring to him and his England debut. The point of the article (and of this post) was that there's something to be said for the psychological factor coming from having a really really really big centre forward. He said it certainly applied at playground level football, where the big, no talent bruiser was invariably picked at centre forward purely to intimidate. And according to him you could use a beanpole instead of a bruiser, but that only worked against other schools who didn't know the lanky kid in question could be knocked over by a feather. As far as Danny was concerned the jury was still out on Crouch as a player for England, whether he has what it takes or is just a beanpole, but it amused him to think the foreigners saying to each other in the tunnel "zut alore, look at ze size of ze other team's forward!!".

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha, indeed. I don't mind referring to Zola as being awkward though. If it shakens up defences, it's all good.

Whilst on the Zola topic, did anyone remember his roll on the floor? The guy was on fire and he got brought down. Must have been at least 4 rolls on the floor, in true foreign style before he stopped. I think it was the adrenalin pumping.

Absolute quality because it looked so bad..
Needless to say, a few of us were in stitches.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Ian said:
I'll make a bet now that we'll score more goals with Zola in the squad than we will with Facey in the squad.. :twisted:

What have I told you about gambling Ian?! After the Alex Hay one I thought we might have stopped, but if the offer is there i'll take you up on it!!!:lol: #-o

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
SCSS, I agree, I was getting frustrated too. He wasn;t using his height. Balls were constantly getting palyed through to him and he wasnt lacthing on to them which looked easy enough to get hold off, but the ball kept going past him and he just moaned.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You're all mad. Come on, he played a good game.
Haha, yes Coops, I remember the Alex Hay one. I'm still waiting for payment :whistle: