• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 2-1 Rotherham

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
First half goals from Shane Sherriff and Gareth Taylor were enough to give us a good start to 2007 and help us start to process of catching the top teams up. Delroy Facey got their consolation as we sounded poor in the second half after a decent first half. Joe Hart our on loan keeper sounded decent and made a great save near the end to make sure of the three points although Faceys goal sounded like his mistake but also sounded like a fluke. Some good results mean we gain some ground on the teams above although we stay in 8th.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I hadn't been at the Huddersfield or Gillingham home games, but today's match promised more of the same. Both sides started brightly, Rovers hit the post early on from Davies and we also had a looping header onto the bar. The Millers looked threatening in attack, but were a bit of a shambles in defence and Rovers went ahead after they'd had about 5 attempts to clear, the ball came to Shane, who slotted home. The lead was doubled with an excellent header from Taylor and things looked rosy at half-time.

The second half was poor from us. We kept giving the ball away, for which the midfield must take some responsibility and had a couple of good opportunities to extend the lead, the best falling to Chrissy G, but didn't take them. Shuker was having a mare, didn't manage to get much right this afternoon, but the crowd seemed keener to get on the back of Steve Davies, who'd faded after a promising start. Carl Tremarco came on for him. Facey scored with a cross-cum shot, which looped over Joe Hart, who had an excellent debut for us. Cue a frantic last 10 minutes, which included a brilliant tip-over from a deflection off Goodison from Hart and a couple of the Rovers players falling out with one-another after another Rotherham free-kick, where the marking was slack.

When our squad's small anyway, don't think we're making the best use of what we've got. Ellison for Shuker and Harrison for one of the central midfielders would have been worth considering from the squad picked. Ideally, Ronnie will get over his apparent aversion to youth and put Mike Jones on the bench as an option when Shuker is playing so poorly.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
First half we played well. For the first 25-30 minutes, we had adopted the usual tactic of aimlessly booting it upfield hoping to catch some scraps. Once the team realised Rotherham hadn't had a shot on target and really weren't up to much, they started to play the ball around with purpose.

Sherriff got the first and typically, Taylor won a header off a cross to bang in the second. Good football, and it showed. 2-0 at HT.

The second half was quite a different game. Whereas Rotherham had been limited to a few shots over the bar, they came out with purpose and with nothing to lose, looked more dangerous on the attack punting more men forward.

We should have well and truly killed the game off though just after the break. Greenacre should have buried it when gifted a great chance. He had the whole goal to shot at, and shot straight at the defender.

Missed chances again, and when Facey scored an absolute fluke of a goal, it was a tense last 10 mins. To be fair, Tranmere played well, limiting the away team to only a few chances. If it wasn't for that fluke goal, it would have been a comfortable 2-0.

The defence played well again. Goodison solid, Sherriff looked comfortable as did Stockdale and McCready. I thought the midfield played well today, although again for me, Shuker wasn't in the game enough. Not necessarily all his fault as he didn't get given the ball all that often. Davies was OK but still not convinced about his ability.

Loan keeper looked good. Good hands, made some very good saves in the second half. I was worried about his age and lack of games, not as worried now.

Much needed 3 points after only picking up draws and a loss in December. Still 8th but it's getting very tight up there. And with Forest losing again! (5-0) who knows what's going to happen in the coming months.

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
i'm sorry boz, i know the second half wasn't that good but please, don't go saying that ellison should be playing. apart from that a pretty accurate summary. i'm hoping that we might be able to get hart for a bit longer than a month, maybe the end of the season because he looked a really good young keeper to me and i'm sure city won't mind him being here

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Whitelife, maybe I didn't express myself clearly above.

Nothing much was working for Chris Shuker yesterday, don't know if that was down to the conditions or whatever. It wouldn't have done any harm to replace him with Ellison for the last 15 minutes and might actually have given Rotherham something different to think about.

For the same reason both central midfielders seemed to be tiring and replacing one with Danny Harrison could have tightened the game up for us.

Agree about Joe Hart

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
thanks, i thought you were saying you preferred ellison for a minute there. i think the reason for shuker not being as effective as he has been in recent games is that the defender they used was incredibly physical, preferring topush shukes off the ball than try to win it. also at times they doubled up on him, meaning he didn't have the space. i was saying to myself that we should be bringing harrison on. he is a ball winner who will run for as long as he needs to as long as it helps the team. like to see him starting a few more games in the future.
btw i'm made up because this is my one hundreth post. not a patch on some but still yay for me!