• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0-1 Carlisle

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As Sonk said there was lots of huff and puff but not good enough overall. Pity because they were ***** and there for the taking.
I'm surprised you thought they were that bad. I know we probably made them look good in the first half, but I thought they were an OK side. Typical of this league. Passed it around quite well but a little lightweight up front.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Carlisle played a pressing game, not giving us much time on the ball. Our response was a panicky one, too much long ball rather than trying to pass out of trouble. We were second best in the 1st half, even before JLAAs sending-off. Agreed that was stupid behaviour by the striker, but Simek had held him by the neck on more than one occasion; missed by the referee. We then conceded a sloppy goal close to h/t. 2nd half performance was better, an end to end game, where we could have scored, but were often hampered on the break by being a man short. I didn't get a clear enough view of Palmer's disallowed effort to know if we were hard done to.

Defensively, Daniels still gives me the jitters, while Ash was not up to recent standards in the first 45, but solid after the break. In midfield, we seemed to concede acres of space, even with 11, Max and Liam had decent games in all other aspects. Up front things, improved when Stockton came on, Amoo should have done better with the one-on-one midway through the opening half. Hopefully, Ronnie will come to realise that it's better to play an inexperienced striker up front rather than an inexperienced winger. I'd have preferred to see Bell Baggie on for McGurk. O'Halloran was poor, letting the ball go out of play on the touchline, running in circles rather than doing anything useful with the ball.

MoM. Nobody outstanding, Liam Palmer probably most deserving.

*Just read Ian's post above and would agree. There are certainly worse sides in L1 than the Cumbrians.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Carlisle are a below average league one side. If you disagree with me you can argue with the league table.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought Carlisle were poor. In the first half they effectively closed the space to prevent us playing, but did little with the ball themselves; we had probably had the better efforts on goal before the sending off, despite being awful. After half time they played better football, but largely due to the extra space created by their man advantage and our need to chase the game.

I have just seen Palmer's 'goal' and it was never offside. He followed in his own shot, which the linesman presumably thought had been taken by a different player.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
That's really frustrating. Everything happened really quickly though. While I didn't have as good a vantage point as the lino, I had no idea what was going on.

DIW

Player
Goodison
I have just seen Palmer's 'goal' and it was never offside. He followed in his own shot, which the linesman presumably thought had been taken by a different player.

To be honest I think when that got disallowed we all knew nothing would go for us during the game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
To be honest I think when that got disallowed we all knew nothing would go for us during the game.
I thought the exact same. Had a feeling it wasn't offside, just knew it wasn't going to be our day, but we did deserve a goal based on the second half.

RLC, I can't remember may efforts on goal in the first half.

I'd say the majority of games at home this season we have only turned up in the second half (possibly with the exception of the first fruitful 2 months). Why does it take us so long to get into the game?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought Carlisle were poor. In the first half they effectively closed the space to prevent us playing, but did little with the ball themselves; we had probably had the better efforts on goal before the sending off, despite being awful. After half time they played better football, but largely due to the extra space created by their man advantage and our need to chase the game.

The only effort of note I can recall from Rovers first half, is the Amoo one on one. They had an effort believe from a corner pushed onto a post and the goal, but seemed to have a lot of possession in danger areas in and around our penalty area. I would certainly say that they were better than Orient for example.

On the Palmer 'goal', was there anyone else in an offside active position interfering with play when he put in the rebound?

Player
Manager
John King
On the Palmer 'goal', was there anyone else in an offside active position interfering with play when he put in the rebound?

It was difficult to see from the highlights but Palmer and the centre halves were so close to goal it is unlikely any of our players were beyond him. Basically, I think the linesman got it wrong.

The Amoo effort is the only genuine chance I can remember for either side before their goal. The corner against the post was a bit of a fluke which deflected off McGurk; they had pressure, but no real openings.

I think the fact so much of the second half was played in their half of the pitch emphasises that they were a poor team. I doubt that they are better than Orient on current personnel and form.

Player
Achto
The goal looked fine to me and I was only 20ft way from it.

McGurk for me put a real shift in, ran all the channels and won many headers against much bigger and stronger defenders. Defo got in where it hurt, much much improved performance at home than Ive seen in the past.

Robbo was driven as usual, tried hard

Daniels reminds be of Goodison when he played at left back 6 or so years ago. Very iffy. Gibson is needed.

Ref was crap, utterly crap.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think the fact so much of the second half was played in their half of the pitch emphasises that they were a poor team. I doubt that they are better than Orient on current personnel and form.

I take the point that it was a surprisingly close 2nd half, Carlisle didn't make the extra man tell and a lot of their breakaways petered out in the final third. I would also agree that Orient now are much better than the mediocre side who turned up at the season's opener, my point was simply comparing the two sides in terms of their game at Tranmere.

Player
Manager
John King
In his post match interview Ronnie said that we came close to getting Chris O'Grady and Gary Madine on loan in the transfer window: O'Grady chose Barnsley ahead of us, Madine preferred Sheff Wed reserves to League One.

I am quite gald we did not get Madine as I think he is a thug, but at least it is good to see we are going after players of decent quality.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Madine preferred Sheff Wed reserves to League One.

Sad state of affairs that.

I think I'd also like to see Amoo on the wing as I'm not sure he's entirely comfortable up front.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Player
Manager
John King
I think I'd also like to see Amoo on the wing as I'm not sure he's entirely comfortable up front.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

If you had seen his performance out wide at Coventry I don't think you would to be honest. I think he is much better down the middle.

Watching the highlights, he was actually a bit unlucky with the shot in the first half yesterday: good first touch and movement but a great save from their keeper.

I think he is a decent number 2 striker alongside somebody better, like Akpro, but I am worried about having to rely on him and the still very inexperienced Stockton in the next three games.

Player
Achto
Did anyone notice at halftime that when all the subs where having a kick about and a general giggle, Bell-Baggie was miles away from anyone, doing his own thing and didnt chat to anyone at all.
He didnt even have a ball:?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
If you had seen his performance out wide at Coventry I don't think you would to be honest. I think he is much better down the middle.

Watching the highlights, he was actually a bit unlucky with the shot in the first half yesterday: good first touch and movement but a great save from their keeper.

I think he is a decent number 2 striker alongside somebody better, like Akpro, but I am worried about having to rely on him and the still very inexperienced Stockton in the next three games.

That's worrying, given most of his very limited career has been played out wide. Aside from the goal attempt, which was well-created by JLAA, he didn't have that much impact. I would rather play a very inexperienced striker (ie Stockton) up front and see how he fares. I'm more worried about a forward pairing of Amoo and O'Halloran tbh. Agreed it would have been nice if someone of the calibre of Madine (don't know much about O'Grady) had joined, but for now we'll have to make do with what we've got.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Ronnie signed Amoo as a striker and personally I think he has done ok so far. Nothing exceptional, but perfectly adequate and certainly better than O'Halloran.

An O'Halloran - Amoo pairing is a definite no no, but fortunately I think RM intends to play Stockton on Saturday.