• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Trading Players

The Rovers!

Player
Pat Nevin/Kenny Irons
Ian Sharps has just signed a 2 year deal at Rotherham.

Tranmere Reserves...... :whistle: but i suppose we cant talk :lol:

white life

white for life
Player
John Achterberg, Craig Curran and Anthony Kay
thought sharps was poor last season but then the team was. we need defenders fast!!!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm quite happy with this. He wasn't really ever that good was he! I wish him well with his new club though. I wonder if Ronnie has any defenders lined up, as white life commented, we seem to be getting rid of a hell of a lot more defenders than we are bringing in.

Who have we left in defence now? Goodison!

DixieDean

I liked Sharps. Admittedly he didn't have a great season, but then, who did?

For me, a centre back is only as good as the keeper behind him.

That may sound daft, but a lot of a centre backs game is knowing (and trusting) the people around him (especially the keeper). Sharps has had to put up with Goodison at left back and various clowns behind him in goal (since Achto's injury). I remember a couple of seasons ago he was being hailed as a defender who could play in the Championship. Yet, 18 months or so later, he's useless.

As an example of my theory, using England, look at the second goal we conceded against Sweden. It looked like bad defending, but to me it was panicked defending brought on by the likes of John Terry not having complete trust in Paul "im great in the prem but wetting myself in an england shirt" Robinson. If you watch closely you will see Ashley Cole move 'behind' Robinson instead of staying on the post. To me, that suggests Ashley thought Robinson would miss the ball and so moved to a position to rescue the situation. Why else would a class defender stand directly BEHIND a goalkeeper?

Some may remember David James helped immensely in turning both Phil Babb and Mark Wright from quality centre backs into a nervous wrecks at Liverpool.

Imagine being a centre back and not knowing whether your keeper is going to come for a certain type of cross or not (should you head it or get clattered?). Or wondering if you should keep marking your man, or get closer to the keeper for when he spills the ball.

If Achto had been fit all season (and Roberts at left back), Sharps would have been a rock.

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I'm sure Ronnie has someone in mind otherwise he wouldn't let the other centre backs leave as easily as he has done. I reckon we'll find out before the weekend.

B

Banana Army

I hope hes got a couple of defenders more than just "in mind" otherwise we could be right royally fvcked

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Interesting theory DD. It makes good reading.
Can this theory be applied to Materazzi? Terrible in an Everton shirt with Myhre behind him but outstanding for Italy with Buffon behind him. Hmm, yeah, like it..

Player
Morrisey
Great post DD!=D> =D>

I think that squads will always have a problem if a keeper is injured. It is hard to rotate keepers as you want to keep your defence as consistant as possible. So, you will not be able to get a very decent keeper to understudy as they will be spending 30+ games a season doing nothing. Thus when the 1st keeper is injured you see a keeper coming in who might be a bit shakey and therefore the defence feel they have to compensate for him and not play their natural game!

B

Banana Army

Ian said:
Interesting theory DD. It makes good reading.
Can this theory be applied to Materazzi? Terrible in an Everton shirt with Myhre behind him but outstanding for Italy with Buffon behind him. Hmm, yeah, like it..

Going a tad off topic here, but i think its a bit different with materazzi. He failed at Everton because everybody hated him. He was and is the most dirty player around. For Italy he has been OK but only ok. As DD posted, around him he has IMO with out a doubt the best CB in the world next to him. I haven't seen Cannavarro make 1 single mistake and her also clears up a lot for Materazzi. Against Germany Cannavarro made two brilliant last ditch tackles after Materazzi had let a player through. Add to this Zambrotta and Grosso, whos defensive abilities have been questionnable for their clubs, but here at Germany have been brilliant. And then theres Buffon as well. So i believe it is not necesarily the players around Materazzi helping him to play well, but the players around him making him look good. You say the Italian defence are quality, you are automatically including Marerazzi in that statement. Also many attackers IMO are scared of him. His reputation as a cheat makes Ronaldo look like an angelic fairy!

Another point made

B

Birkenhead Born and Bred

Fair comments I see were you all coming from but I have to agree with DD.

DixieDean

Super_white_army said:
Great post DD!=D> =D>

8)

cheers,

hopefully the new team will give us all plenty to think/talk/post about over the coming weeks...