• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Torquay v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Lets get this started nice and early then as I'm sure everyone is looking forward to the start of the season. Rovers face the long trip to Plainmoor against a Torquay side who finished 17th last season and 3 points away from the relegation zone. If I'm not mistaken rovers grabbed a 0-0 draw last season which although wouldn't be a disaster, surely we'll be looking to start the season with 3 points against a side we should be beating if we're to be champions.

Ex rover loannee Sean McGinty is still there with the gulls brining in forward options in ex Grimsby front man Jon Paul Pittman, ex Plymouth and Kiwi Rory Fallon and ex Southport James striker Gray.

As for the rovers, Tollit's continued absence and given the signing of McEveley but assuming Sutton is fit, I am expecting a 3-5-2 along the lines of:

Davies
Sutton Big Mac McEveley
Buxton Ridehalgh
Hughes Harris
Jennings
Norwood Alabi

Personally I would always start Cook especially with the wide service Rides & Buxton can provide, but still think Micky doesn't rate him as much as others.

Prediction: any possible lack of match fitness not to cause us any problems in a 2-1 win.

Player
aldo
Would start with cookie monster next to alabi with norwood just behind em . Lets hope the game is better than last time . We are in the area on holiday so will be in home end hopin for a 3.0 tranny all 3 front boys gettin 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Sparky's assessment, although I think McEveley might be on the bench with Buxton right sided centre back and Duggan right wing back. Up front, it is anyone's guess who plays, but I hope Cook starts.

Torquay have strengthened over the summer, bringing in Pittman and Gray who are both dangerous, and this will be a tricky fixture; their home record against the top sides was quite good last season. However, if we want to win the league we must take three points from matches like this: I think it will be a narrow Rovers victory and as has been commented, the four or five matches that follow look quite kind to us.

Personally, I am not as hyped up as I was this time last year, as there is quite a lot of pressure on us this season. While not quite the last chance saloon, if we don't go up it will be very difficult in the years ahead, with clubs like Orient, Hartlepool and Ebbsfleet in the division, all of whom will be stronger next time around. However, there is no doubt we have a squad capable of winning promotion.

I think about 500 SWA will make the trip on Saturday

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would expect Norburn to start ahead of Hughes in a 3-5-2 formation and expect a tough game but a 2 1 win to us

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Oh yeah forgot about Norburn. Agree with bigmart about playing him ahead of hughes.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I really don't know how things will pan out this season, but this game should be a good pointer. Torquay have some off-field issues with the new owners, but have brought some new players in and recently had a 6-0 friendly win over Truro in the next league down.

Haven't seen enough of Alabi to judge if he's capable of holding the ball up and acting as a target man type figure. Cook can provide that kind of option and for especially away games would like to see him start. If we are playing 352, Buxton would struggle as a wing back, so Duggan would feature. Wouldn't be a total surprise if Norburn and Hughes were paired off in the middle.

Result could be anything from a narrow defeat to a thumping win. Going for 2-2.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Based on my argument about the squad numbers in another thread, I expect the line-up to be:
Davies
Buxton Sutton McNulty McEveley Ridehalgh
Hughes Harris
Jennings
Cook Norwood
Subs: Pilling, Gumbs, Norburn, Dunn, Alabi

I am expecting a tough game - long journey, start of season, perhaps a game or two off the pace - and a 1-1 draw.

D

DCTRFC

Nothing can be read into the Torquay 6-0 Truro scoreline as Truro team is so far off the standard required to play in the division below. I think we will win 4-0.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
4-0. Now there's some positive thinking. I do think we'll win but I'm saying 2-0. Nothing spectacular but a solid performance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd like to see more of Alabi as he's had a decent pre-season and seems to offer something different. I do think a cameo in the second half is probably right though.

Player
aldo
Hope if we start with two up front its cookie an Alabi .with alabi es strength and cookies killer instinct could be amazing. get behind the swa come on white boys

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would want to see Cook in the starting line-up too. In away games, we usually get fewer chances and need to be clinical. Though as said above don't know enough about Alabi's ability leading the line.

On reflection, think MM may opt for a 442 with midfield diamond as Mungy's Hairdresser suggests. If so would expect Hughes to be the deep sitting player, with Harris and Norburn paired. The manager may feel that a 352 against an opponent likely to be mid-table at best is too defensive.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm sure 442 is MM's preferred system when he has a choice, but without his best wide players I expect he'll play safe and go 532/352.

Player
aldo
See chesters game at solihullmoors is off due to safety at the ground. Some one has dropped a big bollock there .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not a great start for Orient who are 2-0 down against Sutton.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Davies; Buxton, Ridehalgh, McNulty, McEveley; Jennings, Harris, Hughes Norburn; Norwood, Alabi
Subs: Sutton, Cook, Dunn, Mangan, Pilling

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky clearly doesn't rate Cook for some reason.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No. Not sure he's convinced about his workrate. Think our defence need to play a few more games together.