• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tommy Smith

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I know we don't usually remember players from other teams, but Tommy is one I remember fondly. Born and raised in Liverpool, he played for his home town team for 18 years through most of its glory days from the old Second Division to champions of Europe. A player who rarely crossed the halfway line, never mind scoring goals, my fondest memory of him is scoring what turned out to be the winning goal in the Reds' first European Cup win. He was not a regular by then and only played because Phil Thompson was injured. What a moment that must have been for him! He was a good, old-fashioned, wholehearted footballer who would have played for nothing, unlike the mercenaries of today. RIP, Tommy.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
He was a real tough lad, but could really play. Seen him play at right back, dogy knees and all. Thought he would be exposed for pace, but no- he had a great game and still found time to get forward intelligently. As BBC states...600+ games for hometown club. Sad loss. RIP Tommy.

Player
ian goodison
went to a hot pot supper with tommy & norman hunter on stage many years ago, you could tell the respect they had for each other will be sadly missed