• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Time to get it off my chest

smilingmart

This is a post that has been boiling up inside for a while now so I think it best to finally express it.

Whether you like Brian Little's style of management, his decisions, his selection of players or his tactics there seems to be a 'time for a change' groundswell developing. A replacement for Brian Little may be justified but it's the notion that 'a change' in whatever format is somehow a good thing that bothers me.

It seems that the constant search for something, anything new or different in modern society is now at epidemic proportions. Whether it's the endless barrage of adverts seducing us to obtain the latest ipod (i believe the nano is the latest) or an ingrained dissatisfaction with our humdrum existence that instills this ferocious search for a new this or a different that, the fact is that everyone seems to have less time these days, and above all less patience.

In these times where everything seems disposal people search for something to belong to; something, anything, thats bigger than themselves to which they can associate. You only have to look at some of the signatures of whitereview posters ('Football is life and Tranmere is everything to me' / 'Foootball is my religion and Prenton Park is my church' )to grasp that the collapse in attendance of organised religion in this country has left a void to say the least.

So what if football is the new religion and prenton park has become our church, with Brian Little our priest. Does this congregation now turn to a hymn heard at many pseudo-religious gatherings up and down the land? Do we want little out because he's perhaps not our saviour despite just just 5 months ago nearly taking us to the promised land? Wasn't Christ himself greeted with palm trees then summarily executed only weeks later?

In summary, do we want Little out because it will mean that we have 'something' new or because with Little gone we can honestly foresee the arrival of the chosen one?

Rant over.

C

ChiefRich

"SmilingMart": Bloody hell that is meaningful. Can't say I disagree with the sentiments but I wasn't expecting a heavy read like that at my belated lunch time!!

In answer to your point, the most successful things stay there by sticking to the set formula it seems, rather than searching for change all the time.

For example:
1. In sport, the England Cricket Team - were playing badly; stuck with the players/gaffa etc; now good
2. In business, Tesco's Supermarket - advertise and sell good simple food; make £bns a year

I am not saying that we should stick with Brian; these are only examples of how continuity has allowed certain things to be successful. And you should always change a successful thing if you think it will make it more successful. England cricket, for example, may consider replacing Ian Bell to make the middle order perform better.

These were only a couple of examples just to that , but there are others out there, and examples of how change makes things worse (e.g. most musicians when they change style or Marks and Spencers), but I just wanted you to realise that there is some agreement and empirical proof that agrees with us!

J

Johnny King is God

You lost me a bit with the pseudo religious metaphors, but the first part of your post is actually a very well presented argument - which certainly rang true to me, even as one of those starting to lose patience with Brian.

The only thing I would say is that it is the manner in which we are losing, and the repetitive nonsense after games, and the worrying lack of a common resolve that gets to me. I could stomach the results if I felt we were going in thr ight direction. I havent felt that of late.

Good points though - and good on you.

smilingmart said:
This is a post that has been boiling up inside for a while now so I think it best to finally express it.

Whether you like Brian Little's style of management, his decisions, his selection of players or his tactics there seems to be a 'time for a change' groundswell developing. A replacement for Brian Little may be justified but it's the notion that 'a change' in whatever format is somehow a good thing that bothers me.

It seems that the constant search for something, anything new or different in modern society is now at epidemic proportions. Whether it's the endless barrage of adverts seducing us to obtain the latest ipod (i believe the nano is the latest) or an ingrained dissatisfaction with our humdrum existence that instills this ferocious search for a new this or a different that, the fact is that everyone seems to have less time these days, and above all less patience.

In these times where everything seems disposal people search for something to belong to; something, anything, thats bigger than themselves to which they can associate. You only have to look at some of the signatures of whitereview posters ('Football is life and Tranmere is everything to me' / 'Foootball is my religion and Prenton Park is my church' )to grasp that the collapse in attendance of organised religion in this country has left a void to say the least.

So what if football is the new religion and prenton park has become our church, with Brian Little our priest. Does this congregation now turn to a hymn heard at many pseudo-religious gatherings up and down the land? Do we want little out because he's perhaps not our saviour despite just just 5 months ago nearly taking us to the promised land? Wasn't Christ himself greeted with palm trees then summarily executed only weeks later?

In summary, do we want Little out because it will mean that we have 'something' new or because with Little gone we can honestly foresee the arrival of the chosen one?

Rant over.

i hate to say it smilingmart,but nearly ain't good enough for my liking! a change is iminent,and a change is needed. what has little achieved since he came to us?

smilingmart

Johnny King is God said:
I could stomach the results if I felt we were going in the right direction. I havent felt that of late.

Thats what bothers me. We dont seem to be 'building' towards something.

I'd like to see a coherent strategy when it comes to sourcing new players. Tottenham clearly have one - young, promising, talented players. We won't be able to sign players of anywhere near the same calibre but there's no 'legs' in midfield, no energy, no youth, no running.

I always believe that younger players are 'hungrier' for success; they are still out to prove a point, and make a career for themselves. With some experience around them I think some young hungry players are what we need most.

smilingmart

Aldo's Worthy 2000 said:
i hate to say it smilingmart,but nearly ain't good enough for my liking!

What in your eyes is a 'good enough' finishing position in this league?

C

championship_here_we_come

smilingmart said:

i know this question wasnt directed to me but for our team playoffs or better is a good enough finsihing positition

smilingmart

championship_here_we_come said:
smilingmart said:

i know this question wasnt directed to me but for our team playoffs or better is a good enough finsihing positition

Thanks for that. I just wonder sometimes when people say 'this isn't good enough.' It's necessary to first quantify what IS good enough and then we can all have a look if thats a fair level of expectation.

For me, I see us as a mid-table league one team, who, when well managed make the playoffs or better. I believe last season on that basis we were well managed. This season however... :roll:

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
smilingmart said:
'a change' in whatever format is somehow a good thing that bothers me.
Being joint second bottom, any change is likely to be a positive one..

smilingmart said:
Thanks for that. I just wonder sometimes when people say 'this isn't good enough.' It's necessary to first quantify what IS good enough
I don't know what's 'good enough' but I know what's not good enough, and that's not just to do with the results and league position, but about the kind of football on display and no matter how bad things are if groundwork was being laid for the future of the first team I wouldn't mind it.

Yes I'd be heartbroken if we were relegated again, but I would find it a less bitter pill to swallow if I felt during relegation season at least a handful of young players gained valuable experience to give us a shout at promotion back up again. Playing 35 year old players whose legs have 'gone' and at the end of the season or before will themselves be gone, that drives me nuts.

I agree with your feeling that change is not always a good thing, and although changing a winning formula isn't a good idea that you also need to be flexible to make small improvements and get better still. But ultimately if you're failing in something, failing with no light at the end of the tunnel, then sometimes a change is the only solution.

Griff

I think that you misunderstand why some poeple want a change. Its not just for the sake of it.

Many people, like myself, were unhappy with the quality of football last season regradless of the position we were in. Although we gained the results last season far too many matches were mediocre. The excitment has gone.

this is due to Littles tactics and management style. While he had quality players in Hume and Taylor, he could continue in this vein as they could pop up and decide a game. Now that the level of quality in the squad has dropped, these tactics do not work in a devision that requires aggression and possitive football to get out from the chaff.

And it is also a fact that in most cases (maybe not all) if a new manager is brought in, the team usually put a few decent dsiplays in. Players become more aware that their positions are under threat.

Who knows if a new manager is the answer, but I would say that I've never been happy with Little at Rovers. When he first came he did steady us, but that is as good as it gets.

Little cannot take us forward. even if he pulls us out of this lull. So What, the players should be good enough for mid table anyway.
Even if we start to move up the table. So what, if its with crap football and boring tactics.

Bring back the excitement, Bring in some new ideas. something Little doesnt seam capable of