• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

think we got it bad

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’ve read the accounts of the meeting on the Chester fans forum. Seems like some bad decisions made in terms of spending all the funds gained from the transfer of their best player, Sam Hughes, player contracts and the new manager allowed to bring more players in without releasing others. The main criticism seems to be that the financial black hole should have been evident months ago, but the Trust running the club have only made it known at this late stage.

One thing which concerns me is the Alabi tribunal. We offered £10k, Chester’s valuation £40-45k and they’ve budgeted for getting £25k at Tribunal. Seems quite a lot for a player who rightly or wrongly is nowhere near the first team. Given we have our own financial issues following on from Wirral Live, could having to find that kind of sum have a knock-on effect for Rovers in terms of having to sell a player or freeze on anyone else coming in?

drwhoman

Supporter Trusts should be supported but they need people with good financial experience to succeed. Passion for the club is not enough. As regards Alabi, they may have budgeted 25k but the Tribunal may not agree? I wonder if Ebbsfleet backed out because this issue is still lying around?

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
And now players and staff at Maccs say they haven't been paid.
Difficult times.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just seen number one whinger Arsene Wenger moan about some clubs having excessive funds and making the world of football unfair. This from a club who have just paid £56 million for a player and given another a new contract worth over £300,000 a week. I suggest Mr Palios invites Monsieur Wenger to PP for a reality check.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In fairness, I think he is right though. Arsenal's spending has been (relatively) modest compared to the other top clubs and Wenger has been criticised in the past for refusing to spend on the same scale as his competitors. At least he has raised the issue of money, which none of the other managers on the gravy train would.

However, the Premier League as a whole is hideous and corrupt. I read recently that Bournemouth are now the fifteenth richest club in the world, purely because of TV income. This is the same club that played us in front of 6,000 in League One five years ago ! It is insane.

Player
Manager
John King
So you sympathise, do you, RLC? I doubt he even knows we exist.
In a sense, yes. Because their problem is the problem of every other club in the pyramid. That the concentration of wealth at the top is destroying competition and making it impossible for clubs to survive without taking unreasonable risks.

Obviously he is speaking from self interest, but I can't argue with his basic premise.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I would have more sympathy if rather than just whinge he got his club and the other 18 in the EPL to do something about it. They are not powerless, but they have allowed it to happen.

Player
Manager
John King
I would have more sympathy if rather than just whinge he got his club and the other 18 in the EPL to do something about it. They are not powerless, but they have allowed it to happen.
He is no more guilty in that regard than a host of other owners and managers though is he ? I actually quite like Wenger because of the work he did when he first arrived, improving fitness and diet and developing young players, unlike the later arrivals like Mourinho, who are just here for the money and exposure.

But as I have said, I find the Premier League as a whole abhorrent.

drwhoman

Money is the huge issue with the Premier League which was known before it started. The richer clubs wanted even more of the financial pie than they were getting. No prizes for knowing which end of the pyramid suffered most! When will it all explode is a moot point. Only six teams have ever won the Premier League and that will not change any time soon. It is the top six, a few clubs that you might consider regular middle of the table teams, and the rest all seeking to avoid relegation! Hence, when playing the top teams they park the bus! I suspect that if anyone tried to do something about it the top teams would simply go and join a European League with PSG, Juve, etc. It would be great if there were a salary cap and a draft system, as there is in other sports, but I cannot see that happening until there is a financial meltdown affecting TV companies and other media providers. When the money starts to dry up maybe will see a return to sanity although I am not holding my breath!

Player
aldo
If the money dried up do you think that the players will just simply walk away from 15 mill a year contracts . Even in the championship teams are spending 15 to 20 mill on players . Just 4 getting back into the leauge we get 1.5m thats wat palios said last year .

Player
aldo
looks like big sam could be on his way already . the fans yesterday wear calling for his head already . and the is talk of the owners not liking him ever .

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
looks like big sam could be on his way already . the fans yesterday wear calling for his head already . and the is talk of the owners not liking him ever .
I think he'll last till the end of the season at least. Or until the Blues are safe. I never thought he was a good fit for Everton and wondered why the pundits seemed so keen. Evertonians like attractive football even more than winning. No-one has ever drooled over one of Sam's teams. ;)

drwhoman

I agree BBTC. I first went to Everton (relatives were fans) in the days of Johnny Carey - Shirley Temple, Roy Vernon, the Golden Vision (he would be worth zillions now!). Later, Ball, Harvey , and Kendall. They were a footballing side. At the time Sam was a rather basic Bolton centre half. He will keep you out of relegation and that is it. I am concerned for Everton now. This new stadium could be a huge white elephant funded by the Council (why?) and an Iranian money man (where from?) How does almost any club repay 500m? Over a long period - yes - but if interest rates go up and the TV money evaporates? Time, as always, will tell!

Player
aldo
its a little fun seeing the blues . with all the money they spent . just shows money cant buy everything

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Walsall have sacked their manager with a certain Ian sharps leading the team in their next game against Paul Cook and max powers Wigan.

Wrexham’s dean keates the favourite to take over. Wouldn’t mind that at all if he left the dragons

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yep Keates has gone back to his hometown club.

The dragons are going to bring someone in. Dean Saunders? Ronnie Moore? Will be interesting.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not ideal timing for our Welsh neighbours, but Carl Darlington, who’s reckoned by their fans to be the brains of the operation is staying on. Think continuity might be better for them than the likes of those Sparky names.