• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Wycombe Trilogy (Final Act)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well who would have thought that would happen!! AmaZing from the players and staff and SWA.

micky was brave and went for it and made positive changes. Sounds like Davies made some top saves and all I could hear on the commentary was the SWA singing away - great effort travelling to Wycombe on a Tuesday night in November.

next round a home banker surely?!? And we’re on the telly so some cash coming our way.

Player
aldo
i will rant every week if it works amazing effort from the lads but why oh why do we make things so god dam hard for our selves

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
That was immense. They should all take a bow. Great scenes with Micky and the players at the end.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Why could they not do this on Sunday with 11 men?

Player
Manager
John King
Well who would have thought that would happen!! AmaZing from the players and staff and SWA.

micky was brave and went for it and made positive changes. Sounds like Davies made some top saves and all I could hear on the commentary was the SWA singing away - great effort travelling to Wycombe on a Tuesday night in November.

next round a home banker surely?!? And we’re on the telly so some cash coming our way.
Yes, Ainsworth was outhought tonight. They did not cope with pace of Ferrier and the Villa lads and it was cocky of him to take Akinfenwa off. Glad it bit him on the arse !

Reactions: Ian

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I for one feel I should be eating vast portions of humble pie.
What a tremendous effort, one to really ignite the season again.
Chichester have just tweeted "Congratulations to Tranmere Rovers on their bye to Emirates FACup Round 3"!! ;)
They'll have a much more memorable day now coming up to us!

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
I for one feel I should be eating vast portions of humble pie.
What a tremendous effort, one to really ignite the season again.
Chichester have just tweeted "Congratulations to Tranmere Rovers on their bye to Emirates FACup Round 3"!! ;)
They'll have a much more memorable day now coming up to us!

Chichester will probably bring more fans than Wycombe too!

Player
aldo
Chichester are hoping for 2000 tickets . would,t it be amazing if the sold the shed out i for 1 hope they do . there calling it the biggest game in there history . lets hope the lads put there game heads on . we don,t wont a repeat of the 3-3 against Oxford city do we now

drwhoman

Great win! The National League Final all over again from one down! You look at the game stats and Wycombe must wonder how they lost. Not that we care! Tremendous team spirit after (I imagine) an inspirational talk by Micky at half time.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Awesome result for Rovers! Sounds like a battling performance from the whole side, with some excellent saves from Davies keeping us in the game and a winner from Kieron Morris, who’s turning out to be one of our best summer recruits.

Didn't think the Wilson challenge was a nailed on red, but gave the ref a decision to make, with a lazy lunge in. No real threat from that position, should have stayed on his feet and closed the player down.

AM is right, no repeats of the Oxford City game. Need to treat Chichester with respect and hopefully do a professional job of winning the game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well I never saw that result coming, what a fantastic win that was.

If we beat Chichester the cup run should be worth around £200,000 before we take into account who we would play in the 3rd round, so will be a big boost to our finances hopefully

Player
ian goodison
why oh why do we do things the hard way can,t we just beat someone 4-0 for a change time for a lie down !!!!!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I guess it wouldn't be Tranmere if we took the easy way out!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We are not a traditional cup team - except under Aldo in Tier two. So, this is our best result in the FA Cup since 2003/04 when we reached the QF under Brian Little. Hopefully we can make Round Three and possibly even progress further.

Player
Manager
John King
I would say we were a traditional cup team under Kingy as well BBTC. We had numerous giantkillings in the late eighties and early nineties.

Player
Manager
John King
I am still buzzing after last night. It was an incredible performance, and one that I don't think anybody in the ground saw coming at half time.

To be honest, in the first half I thought we were poor. We had a fair amount of the ball but played without any real conviction and Wycombe were gradually able to get control of the game, without doing anything special. We were probably lucky not to be further goals down at half time. However, the red card seemed to liberate the players and allow them to express themselves, and the tactical switches from Micky, changing to a back four and bringing on CBT and RHM, made a big difference.

At the interval, the players seemed to have been told to turn Wycombe's defence round at every opportunity and we were a constant threat on the counter attack. Wycombe had more efforts on goal and the stats are in their favour, but I thought we were the better team in terms of shape, organisation and spirit and fully deserved the win. We might have won in in normal time if Ferrier had not slightly overhit a cross to Payne after a lightning break, and we also had a cast iron penalty for a foul on Morris turned down.

All of the players worked incredibly hard and played well, with the two centre halves really solid and Borthwick-Jackson finally looking a real player at left back, blocking countless crosses and covering the two centre backs on numerous occasions. However, three players stood out for me: Ferrier tormented the Wycombe defence all game with his pace and power. I know he had a poor season last year at Walsall, but I think he has all the attributes to be a top striker at this level, and could develop under a better manager like Mellon. Scott Davies was also superb. His handling was a little sloppy towards the end of normal time, but he saved us with brilliant saves on three or four occasions, particularly an instinctive save down to his right on eighty nine minutes.

However, my man of the match was Kieran Morris. He is a hugely influential player for us, and our best player in my view. He was at the heart of all our best moves and is adding goals to his game now that he is being played centrally. I thought he was fantastic last night.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I would say we were a traditional cup team under Kingy as well BBTC. We had numerous giantkillings in the late eighties and early nineties.
Fair point, RLC. Most of big ones were under Aldo, but Kingy did get us to Wembley five times and won us our only trophy since the war (Leyland DAF).