• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
A loan back to Port would probably suit Almond best. Feel a bit sorry for him as he was clearly a GB panic buy.
As for Mekki, we're probably seeing why he's never settled anywhere. The talent is there but not the application.
We must have a squad now that's the envy of most League 2 clubs, let alone NL.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Great signing. This is the longest deal we have offered since Stockton and Kirby got three years. Any long deals must allow for Rovers being in LeagueTwo. The fact we've paid a transfer fee speaks volumes and explains a lot.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Really great news, a young man with loads of potential. Well done Micky and the Palioi.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with all the positive comments regarding Ben Tollit's signing. I share Sparky's view that he's better deployed out wide rather than as the apex of a diamond. There are areas of his game to be worked on, but an unusual combination of pace and shooting ability make him a rare talent at this level.

Feel sorry for Mekki and Almond in different ways. Louis was a panic buy, while Adam was poorly handled by Brabin after a good pre-season. Can't see a long term future for either.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I know he's a local lad, know he was homesick etc etc.
But would he have signed if GB was talking to him rather than MM?
Rhetorical question!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Position wise, he's got to be out wide.
Whether it's Premier, National or Sunday league nothing scares a defence more than pace. Add no little skill, which BT has, and he's made for us.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A superb signing. I actually think Pompey have made a major error in letting him go, as he easily has the ability to play in Leagues One and Two, if not higher. In terms of pure talent, he is probably our best player.

I don't agree that playing in a diamond does not suit him. He caused chaos playing in that role against Forest Green and has scored most of his goals from that position: his game is about skill and awareness, not just pace. I think his best position varies depending on the approach of the opposition.

It does seem that Almond and Mekki are on their way out, and I feel most sorry for Adam who seems like a nice lad. It just shows how quickly things can change in football as he was probably our second most important player last season behind Norwood. I just don't think he has enough end product for a team aiming to win the league, and probably is not physically strong enough to play the kind of pressing game Micky favours. I hope he gets sorted out with another decent club.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I know he's a local lad, know he was homesick etc etc.
But would he have signed if GB was talking to him rather than MM?
Rhetorical question!

we had him on a trial during pre-season last season but brabin said he wasn't his type of player

drwhoman

A reflection on GB I suppose. Everton clearly thought he had something going for him originally and it is interesting that he has had to fight his way back as Adam Morgan is going to have to do. Widnes and Skem and not the Skem of Heighway and Hall in the mid/late 60s! Good luck to him - let us hope it now all works out for him now! I feel sorry for Mekki but also for Almond. GB was clearly desperate and the player was probably signed the day he was sacked!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
An ex favourite of mickeys is Antoni Sarcevic released by Shrewsbury today who played under Micky during his glory days at Fleetwood.

Not that we need another centre mid of course! Although good pedigree and only 24. Maybe a back up for Wallace if that doesn't work out.

M

Mal

watch his interview on Tranmere Player. He comes across as a down to earth youngster who relishes being appreciated and being given the licence to entertain.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I actually think Pompey have made a major error in letting him go ......
I wonder how much choice they had. He had made 12 appearances for them, but all as sub, so why hadn't he started a game? Why didn't they persevere? As I said earlier, I suspect he wasn't settled down south. Clearly they would have seen how well he was performing for Rovers, so they probably realised that the best they could do is get a transfer fee for him and I'll bet that there is a hefty sell-on clause in the contract.

Sorry if you've heard this before, but we have done very well over the years signing homesick Scousers for free or reduced fees. First it was John Aldridge, then Ryan Lowe. Currently we have Steve McNulty and Adam Dawson in addition to Ben.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
While Tollitt might prefer playing closer to home, Portsmouth are a much bigger club than us and could easily have kept him if they had wanted to. He had not been starting games, but had impressed when he did play. He had only been there a year and had plenty of time to establish himself in the team.

Most of their fans are going mad about the decision to sell him, and I think Cook has just made an error. We don't have to look any further than Brabin's decision to get rid of Margetts and Mangan last season and replace them with dross to appreciate the kind of errors managers make.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The view on the Pompey boards is mainly critical of Cook for not giving Ben enough chances, their manager opting for senior players instead. Good business for Rovers but it seems best for all parties if he wasn't going to get the games down south. Don't know if homesickness played a part, he's reported to have a girlfriend down there, but the main factor in his move is likely to be a need for regular football

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks for the research, Boz. It all seems a bit strange. At his age, it should have been obvious Ben wanted and needed games, so why didn't Pompey just loan him to us for the rest of the season? Anyway, I'm not complaining. It's a great piece of business by Micky, whose eye for a player is at least as good as his predecessor.

M

Mal

Personally, I don't really care 'why' other than 'watch the interview' and it will give you an idea of Tollit's viewpoint. He is now with Tranmere.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Superb signing and a great player to have as we march on forward. Cannot believe Pmouth sold him to be honest but this is exciting times.