• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

drwhoman

I know where you are coming from CK but it may be that a 'no contract offered' list might make it a little harder for the guys in question to get another gig? The club may feel that Matt Hill being a very experienced and relatively successful player deserved a specific mention? I am not sure he will go round again at 34.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think it was the right decision to release Matt Hill as he was getting past it, but I wish him well in whatever he does next. He alwys gave 100% in a Rovers shirt, which is more than can be said of some of his teammates in the last two seasons.

I think his leadership and communication with the supporters will be missed, something we are lacking in the dressing room. I remember at Boreham Wood - possibly the season's nadir - Matt was the only member of the playing or coaching staff to acknowledge the away supporters. GB by contrast scuttled straight down the tunnel.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah good pro and a little disappointed to see him go but prob for the best.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can understand why Matt has been released, although he has always given his all for Rovers. It was a shame he was out for so long in his first season. With his attitude, would the team have performed better in League Two? He got a lot of stick from the SWA at Boreham Wood, but then the whole team underperformed that day and it was one of the most disappointing displays I've seen. I wonder if he's planning to be a coach or manager. As RLC says, he certainly has the leadership and communication skills.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Think he's still keen to play on.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I see Liam Hogan has left and joined Gateshead, another gap in the squad for Brabin to fill. What is happening at PP apart from a couple of concerts and a "murder mystery" evening. Is it any wonder there is frustration amongst the fans.

"Gateshead Boss Aspin is delighted to be reunited with the defender, admitting that he had to be quick off the mark following the season’s end.

He said: “I’ve always kept tabs on Liam. I rate him highly, and I know that when he was outstanding when he was playing last season.

“Tranmere were very disappointed when he got injured, but I’d like to think that with a clean run, he could really do well for us.

“He is mobile, he has really good pace, he is a good competitor, and his attitude is first-class.

“I’ve had to move quickly. Tranmere were keen to keep him, but we’ve managed to steal a march on them".

“It hasn’t been done behind their backs, because I get on very well with Gary Brabin, but we were in a position where we could move quickly.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Matt Hill will be no loss his legs had gone, bit disappointing Hogan has left but that's life I suppose

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I see Liam Hogan has left and joined Gateshead, another gap in the squad for Brabin to fill. What is happening at PP apart from a couple of concerts and a "murder mystery" evening. Is it any wonder there is frustration amongst the fans.

"Gateshead Boss Aspin is delighted to be reunited with the defender, admitting that he had to be quick off the mark following the season’s end.

He said: “I’ve always kept tabs on Liam. I rate him highly, and I know that when he was outstanding when he was playing last season.

“Tranmere were very disappointed when he got injured, but I’d like to think that with a clean run, he could really do well for us.

“He is mobile, he has really good pace, he is a good competitor, and his attitude is first-class.

“I’ve had to move quickly. Tranmere were keen to keep him, but we’ve managed to steal a march on them".

“It hasn’t been done behind their backs, because I get on very well with Gary Brabin, but we were in a position where we could move quickly.
I agree with Aspin. He was our best defender until he got a nasty injury at Boreham Wood, then he never got re-established because of the form of McNulty and Ihiekwe. I suspect he's going for the prospect of first-team football. I doubt he's been offered more money. I wonder what "We were in a position to move quickly" means. Does it imply that Rovers moved slowly?

It is worrying the lack of news from PP. Not even a mention of Hogan's departure. We are still waiting to hear if Davies, Ihiekwe and Mekki have accepted the club's offer. No word at all about Vaughan, Jennings, Riley, Margetts, Ridehalgh and Mackreth. Jeff Hughes has presumably returned to Cambridge United, where he's under contract for another year. I wonder if the club have tried to sign him for next season. Even if there's no specific details, it would be nice to hear something about the plans for next season, but maybe they are still being discussed.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Its a shame Hogan has gone but to be fair to him, he probably would have started as back up to Big Mac & Ihikwe and should get first team football at Gateshead. He's missed a lot of football this season so probably wants to play right from the off next season. Its ironic that both Sutton and Hogan who looked a good partnership at times, both won't be with us (assuming the former joins Barrow). Good luck to Hogan who was a no nonsense played I liked.

As frenchrover hints its frustrating looking at the website to constantly see reminders about season tickets and Status Quo, when other teams are snapping up players (Barrow have 3 already). Still early days though and I'm sure the likes of Davies are probably on holiday mulling over our offer and seeing if they get offered anything better.

You wonder though with the small number of players under contract, whether many of those BBTC names above may move on and GB will have another rebuilding job on his hands.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Would happily have taken Hannah off Chester's hands.
Suspect that despite our top third budget we'll be feeding off the poor man's table.
Yes, it's early days but have we not said that for seasons on end whilst watching other clubs fill their boots (excuse the pun).

drwhoman

Negative I know but do players want to work with GB? I agree that the official site is a waste of space from our perspective. It is simply a marketing tool.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

Is it not slightly worrying that Gateshead are better geared up for the transfer market at the end of the season than Rovers? Their chairman last season claimed they'd beaten us to the signature of Ryan Bowman too. I share the unease of other posters that Rovers are in danger of being amongst the last off the blocks again, left with scraps.

Hogan was a good central defender and an adequate makeshift right-back. He seemed to have slipped down the pecking order after his injury, with Riley preferred as first reserve, whereas on what we'd seen I'd rank Liam above Martin every time. My other concern is that we haven't heard any updates about McNulty and there are worrying rumours that his eye injury may be career ending. If so, re-building the defence from scratch is a possibility.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought Hogan was our second best defender after Big Steve and I am disappointed he has gone. He did seem slightly injury prone, but like Boz I thought he was better than either Sutton or Riley. Defence was our strongest area last season but we have now lost Hill, Holness and Hogan, and Sutton is almost certainly going to Barrow. Added to which, rumours suggest Riley is on his way to Wrexham, which would leave us with only Big Mac and Ihiekwe.

I would guess Hogan has gone to Gateshead purely to play first team football rather than for the money, but it is in situations like these that Brabin's dodgy man-management skills cost us. If he had not fallen out with Sutton he would be a solid back up for McNulty and Ihiekwe.

Like many others, I am concerned that we are missing the boat in the transfer market. Elsewhere, Gateshead are another side who seem to be splashing the cash, and now have a decent centre back pairing in Hogan and Manny Smith.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They've proabably all gone on holiday! We never seem to be first out the traps but there is still quite a way to go until the new campaign begins. I liked Hogan, one of the better players that came from the messy start we had, but his injury really scuppered his season. Good luck to him at Gateshead. Sutton is not a player we should be referring to for backup, he simply isn't good enough.

In terms of the marketing push, it will always be like this as long as the Palios are in charge. To be fair, it makes money, so we just have to put up with it. Anyway, what's wrong with a bit of Caroline and Down The Dustpipe?! o_O

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm not sure where all this talk of a settled squad comes from. We currently have only two defenders from last season's first team squad signed up - McNulty and Sutton - and for reasons stated above neither of these may be playing for us next season. All the others have been released, have yet to accept new terms or are in discussions with the club. In midfield, only Harris, Maynard and Kirby are tied up for next season. And in attack we have only Stockton as back-up for Norwood. It's worrying that so far only Harris and Turner have accepted new deals. All the others are hanging on or voting with their feet. We may end up with as many new players next season as last.

M

Mal

And I thought the Palios' came in to move us away from the status quo

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very good Mal.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Rumour is that Sutton will go to Barrow as he has fallen out with Brabin.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not sure where all this talk of a settled squad comes from. We currently have only two defenders from last season's first team squad signed up - McNulty and Sutton - and for reasons stated above neither of these may be playing for us next season. All the others have been released, have yet to accept new terms or are in discussions with the club. In midfield, only Harris, Maynard and Kirby are tied up for next season. And in attack we have only Stockton as back-up for Norwood. It's worrying that so far only Harris and Turner have accepted new deals. All the others are hanging on or voting with their feet. We may end up with as many new players next season as last.
Totally agree, BBTC. Which begs the question as to whether if the manager is unable to hold onto the players he wants to, many of whom he recruited, what merit in continuity of manager, given he arguably underperformed last season?