• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I know we still have two games to play, but assuming that we don't make the play-offs who would you keep for next season ? In my assessment below I have ignored the contract situation of the players and just based my judgement on performances this season (I realise, for example, that Harris has just signed a deal):

Brabin - release

Davies - keep
Vaughan - keep
Ridehalgh - release
Hill - release
Mc Nulty - keep
Ihiekwe - keep
Sutton / Hogan - keep at least one, depending on Hogan's injury situation
Riley - release
Holness - release
Jennings - keep
Harris - release (a decent player, but similar to Jennings and we need more creativity in this area)
Maynard - release
Hughes - keep
Mekki - keep
Kirby - keep
Mackreth - keep (possibly)
Norwood - keep
GTF - keep (possibly, on a pay-as-you-play type deal)
Higdon - release
Stockton - release
Margetts - keep (possibly)

In summary, I think we have a decent core squad that requires better direction. However, we are clearly lacking in terms of creativity and goalscoring.

I think we need a new left back, at least one midfielder to offer more creativity and score more goals, probably another genuine winger and, most importantly, a genuine goalscorer to partner Norwood.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
FYI, all contracts expire this summer apart from McNulty, Sutton, Maynard, Kirby, Norwood and Stockton (all 2017) and Harris (2018).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd keep Davies, McNulty, Ihiekwe and Norwood. The rest can bugger off and that includes Brabin.

drwhoman

I love the comment Ian! I agree that a lot of them should go even if MP is stubborn enough to keep GB. That said, MP is the guy who has to pay him out so that must impact on his thinking.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Firstly, of those players under contract only Sutton and perhaps Stockton are likely to move on, though it's possible there may be an offer for Norwood.

Looking at the rest;
Keepers. Davies is worth keeping although there's interest rumoured in him. If he were to go, Turner's a decent enough keeper and Pilling worth keeping and being given a chance.
Defence. Ihiekwe works well alongside McNulty and should stay. Hogan seems injury prone, so unsure. Ridehalgh/Vaughan are both ok at this level, but could we do better or are there any youngsters who could take their places?
Midfield. Although Harris started the season better, over the season as a whole, Jennings has been the better central midfielder, not that's a ringing endorsement. Do we really need two players of such similar ilk? Hughes offers something different and Mekki our best wide player. Both reasonable at this level and worth hanging onto.
Strikers. No certainty we'll have any, though I'd keep Norwood.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Can we get Mangan back :p

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
One things for sure.....Margetts will be going and don't blame him considering how he's been treated

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We'll need a whole new left side in my opinion. Hill & Ridehalgh are both not good enough (although the latter could be decent squad player). We need a left winger also as Hughes is too slow and weak to do a good job, Kirby isn't consistent enough and no one else has shone*

Only Mekki has been a creative influence from wide areas and even he hasn't been great, often fading in matches and I still think he has underlying fitness issues.

* I'm not including Adam Dawson of course who to me was excellent on the left side and who I think we should make a top priority signing if possible.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think Hughes is the best central midfielder we have, comfortable on the ball and quite creative. Unfortunately Brabin insists on playing him on the left wing.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The biggest problem is the manager, his style of football, tactics and constantly playing players out of position.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I assume discussions are already under way with a number of players. I can't imagine it's only Jay Harris who's been offered an extension. If I am right, I am rather worried that so far only Jay has agreed to stay next season. It seems to suggest that the others are considering their options. Maybe, if we don't go up, they will go. I have to say that if we keep most of the players we want, it will be a big feather in GB's cap. If there's a mass exodus, the that will be a black mark on his management style and ability.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Agree with most of the original post with the exception of Ridehalgh and Harris who I'd keep and Brabin, who I'm giving until Christmas!

The biggest change I'd like to see is for us to play 4-4-2 at home and stop buggering about.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
New contracts offered to Davies, Mekki & IHikwe. Disappointing the o/s doesn't say how long the contracts are for.

Surely we should offer Davies 2 years to make him stay. I'd give Mekki a year and probably the same for IHikwe

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Only question mark is against Davies who may get a better offer elsewhere. I'd expect Mekki and Ihiekwe to stay.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
And OS says that GTF, Holness and Higdon not offered new deals.
No surprise there but does it mean discussions are ongoing with the likes of Margetts?
And when do discussions become offers or vice versa?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
New contracts offered to Davies, Mekki & Ihiekwe. Disappointing the o/s doesn't say how long the contracts are for.
Surely we should offer Davies 2 years to make him stay. I'd give Mekki a year and probably the same for Ihiekwe
Good news if they sign but interesting that six contracts have been offered this week and no-one has yet accepted. I also note that Holness, GTF and Higdon are going. No real surprises there. I think younger players offer better value for money. What surprises me is that there is no news of the other 10 senior pros who played towards the end of the season. The OS says the club is in discussions with them. Does this mean we may see the likes of Mackreth, Hill etc. at PP next season?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Turner has signed a new 1 yr contract. I am assuming this would have happened even if Davies was already signed up. I really hope we keep Davies and the importance of a top keeper at this level cannot be underestimated. Turner is not the answer. He has always been a no.2 wherever he has been and clearly is not as good as Davies.

No surprises about GTF & Higdon leaving. I bet the latter made up his mind he was going after that reception he got in his last appearance at PP. Cowshed Kid makes the interesting point though about Margetts who I really like. I'll be amazed if he stays given how GB treated him and brought in the likes of GTF & Higdon ahead of him. If Johnny leaves and Stockton also (is he under contract?), that will only leave us with one recognised striker. I'm sure Margetts will have offers elsewhere.

BBTC - I can't see Mackreth wanting to stay. I'm sure Hill would but neither he or Ridehalgh are good enough IMO. If I had to keep one it would be Liam but we need a new LB regardless.