• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The squad

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Turner did ok in his one full game for us, only beaten by a handballed goal. I'd agree Davies is better and hope he re-signs, but if you're Luke Pilling, a promising young keeper, perhaps it might be time to go elsewhere to get some action, if you're not going to be at least no 2.

No surprise about Holness and Higdon. Think GTF, could have done a job for us. Hope Davies/Ihiekwe/Mekki have been offered 2 year deals.

Stockton still has another year on his contract, though rumoured Morecambe have an option on him.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with most of Sparky's comments above. From what I have seen of Turner he is not good enough, way below the standard of Davies, so a new keeper will be a priority if Scott does not re-sign. I also agree that we should be looking for a new left back, as Hill is now too old and Ridehalgh is not up to it.

The decision to release Higdon and GTF, while not a surprise, again raises questions about Brabin's judgement. If they have been deemed surplus to requirements after a few months, why was not Margetts given more time on the pitch or a younger, hungrier (in the positive sense) forward signed in January ?

I agree with Ian that Mekki and Ihiekwe will stay, and we just have to keep our fingers crossed about Davies.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Glad some of the old boys have gone. GB has made some poor decisions regarding players but he'll have a lot to answer for next season if that trend continues. It will certainly be interesting to see who he brings in.

drwhoman

Turner is the goalkeeping coach so happy to keep him. Done a good job with Davies. On the 'old boys' I think this was an idea that failed. Sign some highly experienced pros from a higher level and let their quality do the job. Unfortunately, their bodies (or minds?) were not up to it! GB really must show some faith in youth but I am not holding my breath. He seems pretty set in his ways. Will be interesting to see if SJ goes round again. I think we all agree that we are marking time with Gary but I look to be pleasantly surprised!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree with RLC in that we should be looking for guys with a desire and hunger for the game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
37 year old Clint Hill released by QPR.

Just imagine him and Big Mac at the back! Not much pace but a formidable partnership!

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Hope they keep Davies and I am ok with Turner staying as coach/no.2 - and keep Pilling to see if he can overtake Turner - should not kill the budget. Generally happy with the suggestions re stay and go, although I feel the squad was good enough to do better - if managed more effectively! So big priority for me is new manager - take the point we might have to wait for Christmas as M.P. will probably give him another go. can't moan too much given the job done by the Palios's. There are probably more "current" managers around for when the change comes, although I did read somewhere Coppell was "available"....smart bloke and he would do for me.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Coppell isn't realistic surely higgy? He must be a fair age now and hasn't managed for ages I think

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Coppell would be a good director of football with a young talented coach to work with. However, that role may overlap too much with MP's role, so it's probably a non-starter. Appointing a manager is the most difficult responsibility of a chairman and most clubs get it wrong more often than not. Exceptions like Watford, Leicester and Southampton are rare. Our record since 2001 has been poor.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Probably right Sparky. Just read somewhere - maybe Sunday Supplement web page or tweet along the lines that former top manager was doing something in football admin - I think. Of course Neil Ashton (big Palace fan) would have been a big admirer and may have inferred it was a waste...it was a few days go now so don't recall fully - but it did make me smile at the thought. Apart from the obvious connection - like the chairman - he is bright bloke. Not a great qualification I know, but would take Bamber Gasgoine over the guy we have now, and Steve did play at the highest level. Anyway would willingly take more current and realistic suggestions if we could sort out a change pdq.

drwhoman

Sparky, with Gary's recently discovered penchant for older players Clint might be a goer! (LOL!) Seriously, it has always impressed me how well he has done for a guy who was very much a simple no nonsense defender - on reflection maybe that is why.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We don't need any more centre backs. We need creative players in midfield and another goalscorer because if Norwood gets injured, we are in trouble.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We don't need any more centre backs. We need creative players in midfield and another goalscorer because if Norwood gets injured, we are in trouble.

Depends if the centre backs we have sign new contracts as it stands only McNulty & Sutton are contracted for next season who are centre backs

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Ian. We already have McNulty and Sutton and Ihiekwe will probably sign. I don't think there is any chance we will sign Hill, but I don't think another thirty-something player lacking pace and with questionable fitness is what we need, however good his CV is. I am not sure McNulty and Hill would be a great pairing.

Last edited:

drwhoman

There is no way we should sign Hill although it may occur to Gary! Our needs have been set out many times by other contributors to whitereview.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have there been any updates on McNulty's eye injury? There was talk of it being quite serious. Given Sutton may be off to Barrow permanently, we may be quite thin on the central defender front.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Matt Hill officially released today.
Holness and others weren't offered new contracts at the end of the season.
What's the difference?
Were there discussions with Hill that came to nothing? If so, why announce he's been 'released' given his contract was up anyway?
Surely all the players who haven't been offered contracts have all been 'released' already?
Sorry.....don't understand.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Ditto. It seems strange. I can only think some discussions must be taking place, but I don't know what they would be about.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Thanks BBTC, glad it's not just me.
Surely the club should just release an official ' no contract offered' list.
We can then work out by elimination which players they are talking to.
And then, in due course, club can tell us who's signed.