• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Will Grigg the latest to be linked. Surely we need another striker
no chance unless they pay nearly all his wages, they bought him for £4 millions will be on very good wages

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
no chance unless they pay nearly all his wages, they bought him for £4 millions will be on very good wages

yes I didn’t believe it either. Still need another front man though

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If 2 of his 3 strikers are unavailable there could be the option of playing Jennings or CBT as part of a makeshift front 2, although not ideal. If you treat Vaughan as a straight replacement for Mullin, I'd be interested in how much game time the other 3 you mention had. I bet it's not much and you can't really count Miller and barely Ponticelli. We were probably overstaffed based on the "hopefully one of them will make an impact" theory! I think (hope!) we are sacrificing quantity for quality which isn't a bad thing.
Yes, I agree. Mullin, Payne and RHM have only featured sporadically this season and Ponticelli and Miller might as well have not been on the squad list. So in effect, we now have two strikers of decent quality, whereas previously I think we only had one (Ferrier).

Matt Jones has confirmed that we are trying to sign another forward, but I think more midfield creativity is probably more urgently needed now (assuming the striker is just a squad player, rather than a game-changer like Cook).

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Cookie Monster is back!!
Being serious, there is no point in signing him if we don’t get crosses into the box for the big man to attack

I’m over the moon!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, it will be interesting to see how we perform from now on in. I also have no idea what first XI he will go with now. Vaughan and Cook up front sounds like a very good pairing but then where does Ferrier fit in?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes, it will be interesting to see how we perform from now on in. I also have no idea what first XI he will go with now. Vaughan and Cook up front sounds like a very good pairing but then where does Ferrier fit in?
Perhaps he won't, unless it is in a front three.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Fair play to Palios and co. They have really pushed the boat out in this window.

Clarke
Woodyard
Vaughan
Cook

All very good players who won't have come cheap and will significantly improve us.
Agree entirely and it is exactly the kind of calculated investment required to try and retain our L1 place. Fair play, indeed, and I hope it shuts up some of the ridiculous and pre-emptive criticism that I have seen in the past few days of our management team. It's up to MM and the selected players to deliver - SWA support is a given.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Perhaps he won't, unless it is in a front three.
In terms of what I would call our better quality players I would stay we are now more stacked from an attacking perspective. Ferrier/Cook/Vaughan/CBT/Morris are, IMHO, not only 5 of our best 11 but perhaps 5 of our best 7 (8 at a push) players. Working out a formation that doesn't end up with 6-5 or 5-6 scorelines each week is, thankfully, Mickey's job!

Player
aldo
he will now warm the bench we now have goals lets feed em and get a move on now looking more positive . need to attack