• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure there is any evidence we are interested in Kay. A number of players have trained with us over the years, purely to keep fit.

There is no way he is League One standard now. He was terrible when we played Vale last season.

Player
Manager
John King
This is where we are, I'm afraid. Money talks and TRFC's money can only whisper. Gone are the days when we could pick up the best players in the division on a free (Cook, Jennings, Norburn et al).
New signings are one of the following:
1. old pros Micky reckons he can squeeze another year or two out of (Perkins, Danns, Potter);
2. untried youngsters with promise (CBT, Nelson and the loanees);
or
3. pros in mid-career who fall out of favour with their club and are looking to kick-start their career (Payne, Ferrier).
That is all very true, but I doubt we will be stooping to the level of Kay. He has not actually played in midfield for years, and McCullough can do the job we need in front of the back four.

Reactions: Ian

drwhoman

I have just been reading an article about Preston and their current success. Their wage bill is one of the lowest in the Championship at 13m! West Bromwich was 39m last season! We have a long way to go financially. The wage bill gap has widened in recent years. What was our wage bill when we were in the Championship? Even if you adjust for inflation, I am sure that it would have been a lot less than even 13m?

Player
aldo
we are looking at a player from the posh woodards used to play for lincoln . we looking at a loan he 26 always played well when i saw him

Player
Manager
John King
we are looking at a player from the posh woodards used to play for lincoln . we looking at a loan he 26 always played well when i saw him
Defensive midfielder. Very highly rated when he was at Lincoln, although I am not sure how much League One football he has played. Certainly a good player though.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Alex Woodyard. Good pedigree, once Lincoln's player of the year, a regular first-teamer and captain until this season when he's only played twice. He should be an improvement given his age (only 26), leadership and experience.

Player
Manager
John King
As we are at the halfway stage in the season, it is worth appraising the players in the squad that we believe are League One standard, or have the capability to develop into League One players in time. I think the following are good enough to play at this level in the medium term (I am not suggesting we should try and offload everybody else in January):

Davies
Monthe
Ridehalgh
Wilson (if available)
Banks (with development)
Gilmour (possibly)
Jennings (he has improved a lot in recent weeks)
Morris (our best player by a distance)
CBT
RHM (if available)
Ferrier (with development)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Staying for me would be:

Davies
Monthe
Wilson
Banks
Gilmour
Morris
CBT
RHM
Ferrier

I think we need two full backs who can defend and provide decent service out wide. We need a leader at the back with Manny and a couple of midfielders. Best get shopping Micky!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am not totally convinced by Ferrier up front and Banks is a bit of a liability in away games, so judgement reserved on those for now. CBT and Nelson are relatively young and might be able to hack it at L1 level, despite the frailties exposed in their game so far.

Player
aldo
we need some one to put the ball in the net . we need a holding mf and two who can run and keep the ball we need left and right backs and a CB but where are they coming from . will have to move players on as well

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I am not totally convinced by Ferrier up front
I certainly think he has potential but he needs more support around him.

Player
ian goodison
all well and good trying to bring in new players but it won,t be easy to ship out players who are under contract, plus not going to be easy persuading players to come to a struggling team good luck micky

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I certainly think he has potential but he needs more support around him.
He looks the real deal to me. To me Ferrier, Manny and Morris have looked like the 3 who are comfortable week in and week out at this level. I love the effort that Ferrier puts in to win and retain the ball. It would be really interesting to see how Nors would have fared in this team at this level - I genuinely believe that Ferrier would not come out of such a comparison badly.

Player
aldo
if we get the service right the ferry man will score . whats going on with payne seems to have been put a side me thinks was talking about him with humey the other week he was not to happy with him . and he is not the only one

Player
Manager
John King
I think Ferrier and RHM are deservedly ahead of Payne at the moment. Mullin tends to have more impact coming off the bench than Stefan, hence he has not been used much recently.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
all well and good trying to bring in new players but it won,t be easy to ship out players who are under contract, plus not going to be easy persuading players to come to a struggling team good luck micky
Monticello and Miller will leave after that I'm not sure who else but wouldn't be a surprise if mullin left

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mullin will surely want to leave as he’ll want first team football. Same with Payne I guess so one of them will go, probably to a L2 club

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I love the effort that Ferrier puts in to win and retain the ball. It would be really interesting to see how Nors would have fared in this team at this level - I genuinely believe that Ferrier would not come out of such a comparison badly.
OK, let's go compare ;) . Nors has just 8 goals this season to Morgan's 7, but Ferrier has played many fewer games. Per minute on the pitch, it's one goal every 118 for our man compared with 172 for our ex-hero. Yes, these include cup games, but then I bet if they swapped clubs Nors would do worse and Ferrier better. That's not to say Ferrier is actually better than Nors at this moment, but his record this season stand up to scrutiny.

Player
Manager
John King
OK, let's go compare ;) . Nors has just 8 goals this season to Morgan's 7, but Ferrier has played many fewer games. Per minute on the pitch, it's one goal every 118 for our man compared with 172 for our ex-hero. Yes, these include cup games, but then I bet if they swapped clubs Nors would do worse and Ferrier better. That's not to say Ferrier is actually better than Nors at this moment, but his record this season stand up to scrutiny.
In fairness, five of Morgan's goals came against hugely inferior opposition (Bolton's youth team and an Isthmian League club) so it is difficult to make a meaningful comparison. That said, I think Ferrier does have the potential to be a reasonable League One player.