• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Pringle was OK at times but didn't do enough.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Crucial part in the build up to CJ goal, great quick feet, but you watch his reaction when the ball hits the net. Pretty much "who gives a f***".

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Clearly just being mentioned in the same breath as "Tranmere Rovers" is sufficient to cause an injury this season ….
:D

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There was a feature on Ifollow today about Morgan Ferrier and Luke McCullough, both of whom had their first full day on the training pitch with the physio. It was interesting, as I think it is the first official acknowledgement that we will sign McCullough when he is fit.

It seems that Morgan is not far away from joining in with full training, but Luke has a little further to go.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There was a feature on Ifollow today about Morgan Ferrier and Luke McCullough, both of whom had their first full day on the training pitch with the physio. It was interesting, as I think it is the first official acknowledgement that we will sign McCullough when he is fit.

It seems that Morgan is not far away from joining in with full training, but Luke has a little further to go.
I find it interesting that for a community club like ours, you have to follow virtually every social media platform to find out this sort of information. There's no reliable source you can turn to for up-to-date information. Just as well White Review exists, as very little gets past us lot. ;)

Seriously, if we can sign a fit Luke McCullough, it would be like signing a new player. He is definitely a player we have missed this season. However, having given him all that physio and TLC to rehabilitate him, I just hope he doesn't do a James Wallace and p*** off to Fleetwood. :(

Player
Manager
John King
Seriously, if we can sign a fit Luke McCullough, it would be like signing a new player. He is definitely a player we have missed this season. However, having given him all that physio and TLC to rehabilitate him, I just hope he doesn't do a James Wallace and p*** off to Fleetwood. :(
I think there is already some sort of pre-contract agreement with McCullough, otherwise the club would not have released the video today.

In fairness to the club, they were probably reluctant to release any details until they were confident he would actually recover this season. Signing a permanently injured player would not go down well (cf. Callum Woods).

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Need to be careful that we’re not pinning all our hopes on Luke and Morgan. McCullough did ok when fit but personally never stood out for me.
Ferrier in his brief spell looked sharp but again is fairly unproven at this level not scoring many last season in cookies Walsall side.

but I guess they can’t do much worse that some of the others in recent games.

Player
Manager
John King
Need to be careful that we’re not pinning all our hopes on Luke and Morgan. McCullough did ok when fit but personally never stood out for me.
Ferrier in his brief spell looked sharp but again is fairly unproven at this level not scoring many last season in cookies Walsall side.

but I guess they can’t do much worse that some of the others in recent games.
I think McCullough would make a difference in so far as he does a good job protecting the back four, which none of the current midfielders really do. Potter does ok in that role, but is not a natural ball winner, and we have been really exposed because of the lack of protection for the defence at times. He also has plenty of experience at this level, and some in the division above.

Ferrier has got pace and energy and I prefer him to Mullin. He definitely offers us something different, but I agree that there is no evidence that he will score lots of goals at this level.

I would imagine there will be other ins and outs in January.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree about McCullough. Slips under the radar a lot but does a lot of work protecting the back four and does it very well. It would be great boost if we can get him fit and playing again soon.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would also welcome a fit McCullough, as we don’t have a natural defensive midfielder to protect the back four at present. I share some of Sparky’s reservations about expecting too much from both him and Ferrier. Where Potter has the advantage is that he makes better use of the ball, whereas Luke’s distribution was rather erratic.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Not sure if I’ve seen anyone post on here but if not I’m surprised that no-one spotted Antony Kay in the latest training vids.

Player
Ian Goodison
Not sure if I’ve seen anyone post on here but if not I’m surprised that no-one spotted Antony Kay in the latest training vids.

Yes he has been training this week (looking on Twitter) 37 years old but has been playing consistently in League Two until the end of last season..

Dann`s is 37 in November should Kay be signed and play i wonder when the last time a team fielded three outfield 37 year old`s (Danns, Kay, Perkins)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is where we are, I'm afraid. Money talks and TRFC's money can only whisper. Gone are the days when we could pick up the best players in the division on a free (Cook, Jennings, Norburn et al).
New signings are one of the following:
1. old pros Micky reckons he can squeeze another year or two out of (Perkins, Danns, Potter);
2. untried youngsters with promise (CBT, Nelson and the loanees);
or
3. pros in mid-career who fall out of favour with their club and are looking to kick-start their career (Payne, Ferrier).

If we want/need someone to play in front of the back four before the January transfer window, then we must sign an out-of-contract player like Kay. When he left us ten years ago, he was probably at his peak, but is he still good enough and fit enough to play at League One level? How long will he take to get match fit? It seems a strange, almost desperate move, but let's wait and see.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd be slightly worried about the lack of pace with Kay as there is quite a difference from league one and two from what we have seen.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'd be slightly worried about the lack of pace with Kay as there is quite a difference from league one and two from what we have seen.
Me too. Port Vale reckoned he couldn't hack even League Two this season and nobody else has been willing to give him a contract. It doesn't look good, but then Micky took a similar gamble on Ollie Banks and it came off.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
I dont think he’s solely training with us to see if we should sign him.
He’s still relatively local, is without a club and bolsters the numbers for training also. That said, I wouldn’t be disappointed if we did have a sneaky 6 month deal in for him as he has a wealth of experience and knowledge which some have said we’ve been lacking recently.

drwhoman

I agree re Kay. A local lad who is handy with his experience. Does not mean we will sign him. This might change tomorrow! (LOL!).

Player
aldo
well that was a great week away so glad i did,t have to listen or watch that crap last tuesday . . some thing needs to change