• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Player
Johnny Morrissey
A real shocker. Had he been carrying a knock from the last game or did he get injured in training?
Are we pushing the lads too hard in training? We started this season with far too many absentees due to injuries in pre-season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A real shocker. Had he been carrying a knock from the last game or did he get injured in training?
Are we pushing the lads too hard in training? We started this season with far too many absentees due to injuries in pre-season.
The players we lost in pre-season? I can only think of Miller. Woods made the bench for Rochdale, before going missing, but both of those two have careers littered by injury so no surprise. Unsure how Ferrier picked up his injury, there was a game with Accrington recently, maybe then.

Player
aldo
was going up for a header in tranning . so there saying . we are cursed at the mo not good oh and cook is out for 3/4 weeks

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The most serious pre-season injuries - Caprice, Miller - happened in matches, not in training. I daresay we had to work the players relatively hard this week as we did not have a match last Saturday.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Ferrier's injury was simply that he landed awkwardly at an angle and did his medial - I can't imagine that is anything to do with training methods or the Campus - after all it is hardly as if the pitches are bone hard with the Summer we are having!

Player
Johnny Morrissey
The players we lost in pre-season? I can only think of Miller. Woods made the bench for Rochdale, before going missing, but both of those two have careers littered by injury so no surprise. Unsure how Ferrier picked up his injury, there was a game with Accrington recently, maybe then.

... which begs the question as to why Miller and Woods were given contracts (albeit 6 months in the former's case).

Morgan Ferrier had shown real promise so his injury comes at an inopportune time. But at least we will now see whether Payne and Mullin (and Ponticelli?) can genuinely cut it at this level.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It's not all doom and gloom. Ferrier looks promising but we have other players to step in and show what they can do.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
... which begs the question as to why Miller and Woods were given contracts (albeit 6 months in the former's case).
Yes I agree. Miller looked good in his cameos, so maybe a risk worth taking, but Woods a high risk signing.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes I agree. Miller looked good in his cameos, so maybe a risk worth taking, but Woods a high risk signing.
As has been said previously, a lot of this was down to finances. We can only sign the players that are available to us financially, and most of them carry one kind of risk or another.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well the deadline is 5pm tomorrow, I would expect a loan signing or two with the injures we have although Jake Caprice is returning to full training tomorrow

Player
Manager
John King
From Mellon's comments yesterday, it does not sound like there will be much activity. With Woods fit again (for the time being at least) and Caprice back in training, the right back position should be covered, which really only leaves left back and defensive midfield as positions where we might need to strengthen. With regard to the latter, Potter did well in the water carrier role yesterday and McCulloch still seems to be in the background, so maybe Micky does not feel it is necessary to bring anybody in.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Whether Caprice be good enough at this level, remains to be seen. Jake did much better than expected last season, but his defensive abilities may be tested more at L1. It would be a surprise if Woods gets a lot of game time and a big bonus if he can stay fit. Interesting that when we needed defensive cover, young defender Spellman wasn't deemed good enough for the bench, yet young winger Walker-Rice was. I think, particularly if Kane is out for a significant time, as seems likely, then we will need more cover at the back.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just hope potter can stay fit as his injury record isn’t great

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed. I think he could become an important player for us but only if he stays fit.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agreed, but think Potter had one serious injury which kept him out for some time, by way of comparision with Woods and Miller who have had a string of injury-related absences.

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness, I think he has only had one serious injury, unlike Woods who has had series of niggling injuries for his whole career. Woods looked good when he came on yesterday and more of an all-round footballer than Caprice, but how much we see of him remains to be seen.

I still think it is unlikely that we will bring in a right back when we have two players who can cover that position.

drwhoman

Agree RLC. Incidentally, Pringle has signed for Gillingham which suggests, given the geographic distance, that MM was not keen to sign him. There were suggestions last season that he was not a complete team player.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We might see Pringle on Saturday then. I felt he did ok for us, made good use of the ball,but perhaps dispossessed too easily.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I liked Pringle. I thought he was good to watch but his workrate off the ball was never going to be enough for Mellon.

Gillingham's squad does not look that great and the fact they are picking up our cast-offs gives me hope for Saturday.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pringle was an odd one. A winger but with no real pace. Decent on the ball but overall contributed very little - albeit he was involved in the build up to Connors winner at Wembley.

No doubt he’ll have a stormer on Saturday!