• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
While it's been encouraging to see all the business we have done this month, surely Micky must be getting close to his budget limit - unless Simon is already helping Mark out.

I think it is PJ who has helped Micky out by funding the Ferrier deal

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Good to know RLC. Maybe Wilson is now ahead of him in the pecking order for the R.B spot. So possibly try Woods at L.B. (if fit) given the concerns Rides may be a weakness at this level.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the question is whether Woods is ever going to be fit enough to play a meaningful part.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
With his injury record it makes me wonder why we signed him in the first place
Needs must I suppose.

The additional money from PJ / the investor had not arrived and we needed to bring players in, even if it meant taking a risk or two.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There has been suggestion from those 'in the know' (and I'm certainly not) that we failed to sign any of our prime targets, because others put in better offers. No idea who the others were or the players involved, even if it were true.

Woods seemed a very high risk signing, given his history of injury and Bradford fans were doubtful we'd see much of him. Potter, by contrast, was someone who'd had one really bad injury, but Rotherham supporters wouldn't have been surprised to see him get another deal there on previous performances and the risk was much less.

On left-back cover, it was clear from remarks made that we were interested in Clarke coming back. Whether Fleetwood wouldn't loan him to a L1 rival or bridges had been burnt with the manner of his departure, or whether Eddie thought guaranteed first team football with Macc was best, I doubt we'll ever know. I'm unsure how much we'll see of Woods this season, so unless Spellman is deemed ready, if something happens to Rides, then most likely Monthe will be deployed at the back. Though he's a much better central defender.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The additional money from PJ / the investor had not arrived and we needed to bring players in, even if it meant taking a risk or two.
This is what I suspected. Our earlier signings were "bargain basement" but from the Ferrier deal onwards we seem to have been more competitive in the market. It's a shame the change in policy couldn't have happened earlier when our prime targets were still available, but that's the way it is. Having said all that, it looks like all our summer signings will play a part this season, unlike previous years.

ADD

Player
Norwood
This is what I suspected. Our earlier signings were "bargain basement" but from the Ferrier deal onwards we seem to have been more competitive in the market. It's a shame the change in policy couldn't have happened earlier when our prime targets were still available, but that's the way it is. Having said all that, it looks like all our summer signings will play a part this season, unlike previous years.
There was also I am sure an element of the Prem/ Champ clubs not releasing players on loan too early as they have been waiting to see if they were wanted by Champ clubs who would pay more of their wages than we could before agreeing to let them go down to L1.
Of those brought in I doubt Ponticelli will figure much from now - I was amazed when he started against Dale...

ADD

Player
Norwood
There has been suggestion from those 'in the know' (and I'm certainly not) that we failed to sign any of our prime targets, because others put in better offers. No idea who the others were or the players involved, even if it were true.

Woods seemed a very high risk signing, given his history of injury and Bradford fans were doubtful we'd see much of him. Potter, by contrast, was someone who'd had one really bad injury, but Rotherham supporters wouldn't have been surprised to see him get another deal there on previous performances and the risk was much less.

On left-back cover, it was clear from remarks made that we were interested in Clarke coming back. Whether Fleetwood wouldn't loan him to a L1 rival or bridges had been burnt with the manner of his departure, or whether Eddie thought guaranteed first team football with Macc was best, I doubt we'll ever know. I'm unsure how much we'll see of Woods this season, so unless Spellman is deemed ready, if something happens to Rides, then most likely Monthe will be deployed at the back. Though he's a much better central defender.
I didn't hear anything about Clarke coming back? What was said/ printed? I doubt he would have been interested in coming back anyhow though TBH.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don,t think Clarke is anywhere near good enough for this league to be honest
I agree with RLC. He was a bright prospect who somehow lost his way, left us and failed to shine at Fleetwood. Like Cole Stockton, he should never have left TRFC while he was still valued and until he had established himself.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Was really sad when he left us. Thought he was a very stylish and confident footballer for one so young. He certainly has the potential to play at this level. Wasn't he voted Young Player of the Year in his final season? His runs down the left flank and his crossing really got us off our seats. Of course he needed to work on his defending. Apparently was paid a pittance which probably explains why he left for pastures (not so) green. Hope he gets game time now at Macclesfield to showcase his skills.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Bloody hell....Ferrier out for 8 weeks by the sounds of it.

#bringbackcookie

He’s warming the Mansfield bench

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think Cook was out injured for their last games. Bad news re Ferrier.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
8 weeks! He's not been doing anything for 2 weeks..

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A big loss Mullin and Payne will have to step forward now

drwhoman

Not good news - we are not having much luck with injuries to strikers after losing Miller. Odd signings like Ponticelli do not help either.