• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
More obvious proven strikers would be great, but i like the idea that MM may have scouted and unearthed a nugget or combo from Payne, Ponticelli and Miller to go with Mullin, who i think might deliver this season now out of the shadow of Nors. You never they may gel and benefit from the support from our midfield, especially with the addition of CBT and guile of Jennings playing near them. Sum of the parts and all that.....

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I agree and said this very early in this thread. I also urged the club to do the same for Scott Davies, who presumably will be skipper now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Woodburn signing rumours gathering pace.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's impossible to make a final assessment until they actually start playing!
Which is tonight :). Though going on how well we did last season, after a poor pre-season, it’s unwise to attach much to the warm up games. My initial point was intended to convey that until we know who else is signing (yes Woodburn would be very welcome IF), it is hard to evaluate how strong the squad is by comparison with other L1 sides.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, you can't tell much from players strolling around in friendlies. Remember Alabis goals a few seasons back?

Player
Jonny Morrisey
Looks like Ched Evan's could be joining Oxford. Given most people's lack of enthusiasm for our current forward line, what would be your thoughts on him as an option?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have just seen the news that Peter Crouch has retired. It's fanciful, I know, but I would have loved to see him at PP next season. I'm sure he'd have been a great hit. He says he's still fit enough but got fed up of being an impact sub for the last 15-20 minutes. I'm sure he'd have got the full 90 with Rovers. Of course, we couldn't afford him without dispensing with the rest of the squad. Back in the day, ex-internationals would be happy to drop a couple of leagues. But not now.

drwhoman

agree RLC. We can both remember a few over the years. Bobby Smith was an ex English centre forward who played for Brighton against us in the late 60s. The Flying Pig, Tommy Lawrence, played in goal for us of course. I remember seeing him play in goal for Scotland v Wales around 1970 at Wrexham. . Scotland won 5-3 in a great game. We were behind one goal and I am sure we heard the thud when he hit the ground after trying to save a Ron Davies header at the other end!

Player
aldo
report on news now rovers are in advanced talks with villa over a 20 year old coming in on loan another forward . makes you wonder why we have got payne in if we are moving for more up top . also so far we have only played 1 up top and we could have 4 forwards

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Good point A.M. i think that would be 5 if the Villa lads signs as we just got the Coventry kid as well along with Mullin, Millet and Payne. Maybe Mickey thinks its a numbers game and hope one comes good, if he can't sign the gold standard 20 goal a season guy.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
report on news now rovers are in advanced talks with villa over a 20 year old coming in on loan another forward . makes you wonder why we have got payne in if we are moving for more up top . also so far we have only played 1 up top and we could have 4 forwards
Rushian Hepburn-Murphy. He seems a good prospect, similar to Bartlett-Taylor. It looks like this deal is going to happen.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t see much point either. We’re incapable of getting one forward of proven ability and temperament in, the lad from Coventry may have some potential and Jennings and Mullin should get us some goals, Miller too if he keeps fit. Meanwhile still lacking a defensive midfielder and perhaps need another full-back given concerns raised by the Liverpool game.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
If we are incapable of making a marquee signing up front, surely we want as many attacking options as we can get ?

I am not sure how you can view this signing as pointless, when you don't yet know the respective abilities of the forwards we have brought in. Hepburn-Murphy could be better than the others.