• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

ADD

Player
Norwood
I was told last night we are trying to sign Ben Woodburn on loan from Liverpool and we have chance of it happening
Yes been on Facebook TROSC etc. - seems far fetched in one sense but on the other hand he didn't do much at Sheff U and his career seems to have stalled so Klopp may decide that L1 would be a better bet this time. He could live at home, he could get MM's pearls of wisdom etc. etc. His wages will be the stumbling block but given Liverpool give us all the gate money from the friendly maybe he is feeling even more generous....

Player
Norwood
Yes been on Facebook TROSC etc. - seems far fetched in one sense but on the other hand he didn't do much at Sheff U and his career seems to have stalled so Klopp may decide that L1 would be a better bet this time. He could live at home, he could get MM's pearls of wisdom etc. etc. His wages will be the stumbling block but given Liverpool give us all the gate money from the friendly maybe he is feeling even more generous....
Now that would be a massive signing if true, and would give us more flexibility. He can play off the striker, so we could okay him whilst still getting game time to the others, as I imagine Klopp would want a minimum game clause.
I would like to see Jennings, Perkins, Woodburn in action!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd have thought he would be looking to drop down a division although maybe not two!

Player
Norwood
I'd have thought he would be looking to drop down a division although maybe not two!
Still, Rover's could be deemed a good club for him to ply his trade in front of decent numbers.
Let's hope eh?

ADD

Player
Norwood
I agree in theory Ian but he didn't do well last season at Sheff U, has apparently had no offers from Championship and Wales Online has suggested that he will consider L1. At the end of the day he needs games and to get his confidence back. Also let's face it if Klopp says you are going to PP he would be a fool to say no so maybe a chance to discuss after the Liverpool game???

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Kinda Lee Jones revisited. That was a decent signing.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Ben Woodburn would not be much of a risk but could make us a force in L1. But I'll believe it when it's confirmed. We've had too many false rumours re signings.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Just saw a note Lee is involved with TRFC accademy?
He was head of recruitment a couple of years ago. I would be surprised if he is still working for us, as he was fired in 2017 after the Alabi / Waring signings fiasco.

drwhoman

Woodburn would be a decent punt although am I surprised the Championship are not interested. A skilful intelligent player but I am not sure how physically tough he is.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The average age of this year's squad is a bit older, so a couple of decent young uns to do the running would be useful.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
let's face it if Klopp says you are going to PP he would be a fool to say no so maybe a chance to discuss after the Liverpool game???
Even better if Ben plays for the Reds in that game. If he plays well, he'll be a popular signing.
So many footballing prodigies fail to hit their potential. The list is too long but it includes James Vaughan who is still the youngest scorer in the EPL. Very few mature and go on to have long careers. Exceptions that prove the rule are Wayne Rooney and James Milner, but how many others are there recently?

Player
Ian Goodison
Even better if Ben plays for the Reds in that game. If he plays well, he'll be a popular signing.
So many footballing prodigies fail to hit their potential. The list is too long but it includes James Vaughan who is still the youngest scorer in the EPL. Very few mature and go on to have long careers. Exceptions that prove the rule are Wayne Rooney and James Milner, but how many others are there recently?

Absolutely like you say Rooney, Milner and i would add Gareth Barry to the same list very few have longevity in the game when playing regulary as teenagers.. If you would have said that at 24 years of age Michael Owen (when signing for Real Madrid) would have been scratching round for a club 5 years later people would have called for the men in white coats!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In fairness, Owen's issue was not lack of form or application. It was injury. He looked odds on to break Charlton's goalscoring record and Shilton's appearance total but got nowhere near either. Nevertheless, he was still an England great.

drwhoman

Agree BBTC. Owen was one of those 'explosive' players who were always likely to have hamstring issues. Torres was another. I will always remember that Owen goal against Argentina in the World Cup and his two late goals that won Liverpool the FA Cup in 2001. Arsenal were all over them and it was a real surprise when Liverpool won it. The second scored from a narrow angle he put the ball precisely between the goalkeeper's hand and the post.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is interesting that Steve McNulty told Matt Jones in an interview today that he discussed the possibility of taking up a coaching role with the club, but nothing came of it.

Player
Norwood
It is interesting that Steve McNulty told Matt Jones in an interview today that he discussed the possibility of taking up a coaching role with the club, but nothing came of it.
I'm not sure..I mean McNulty was incredible for us and really made us a defensive force.
However, I always think what could have been. I mean no disrespect to him, but as a professional, I can't understand why he wasn't helped/told to get rid of 2-3 stones. It would have meant he had speed added to his considerable defensive skills, and ball playing skills. I've always found it really odd, and a waste of a potential higher league player.
So maybe (though undoubtedly a skilled player who may have been an excellent coach), we would want someone who is a more positive influence on the youth, in terms of being professional about diet and health.