• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I’ve no issues with the silence as this tells me there is much work going on behind the scenes. Some of the comments on twitter today against the club posts were as usual embarrassing with regards to the lack of news. As though we’re going to negotiate contracts on social media or something. I’d be more worried if I was a Bury fan with their silence ahead of another winding up order! Keep calm & enjoy the summer as Ian said, the signings will come.

The problem is that by all accounts a number of our targets have gone elsewhere.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'm a little surprised we haven't heard a bit more out of the club. Does the fact that we haven't confirmed released the likes of Zoum, Dagnall and Miller mean that there are contract offers for them? While it's possible to make a case for each individually, it would be a surprise if they were all still with us come the new season.

It would be good if Nelson signs, but if there was interest from a L1 club nearer his London roots, might he prefer that? I'm not sure Micky's strength is developing young players, so would be wary of taking more than the odd Everton loanee and only if there was no obligation to pick them or pay the parent club.
I would guess offers might be made to Zoum, Miller etc. if our first choices don't come through. Probably the reason we did not issue a release list.

Player
aldo
yes that would be great . not to worried about the team . mm and mp will know what there doing . so lets just wait and see

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Confirmed that Liam Ridehalgh signed up for 2 years and Evan Gumbs for a year, although Evan won’t be back in action until 2020.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Gumbs unlikely to be involved until near the near the end of next of next season, happy that Ridehalgh signed for 2 years

Player
Manager
John King
Good news and the two year deal for Liam suggests he will be first choice next season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Not too happy about Ridehalgh. I don't think he has enough quality defensively or going forward to make an impression in league one.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Ridehalgh played very well in the second half of last season and deserves his contract. He actually did ok in our previous spell in League One and he improved a lot last season under Mellon. I am happy to have him as our first choice left back.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I agree with RLC up to a point that Rides did improve in the second half of the season but he strikes me nevertheless as a bit of a makeweight as in we don't have enough cash to do any better and also presumably Zoom is gone?. Re Gumbs I appreciate it does not look good getting rid of a player that is long term injured but he seems never to have been high on MM's agenda and if he is really out for that long I am baffled by the contract offer unless it is a pay as you play deal?

Player
Manager
John King
Mellon stated towards the end of last season that he was impressed by Gumbs, so the contract offer is not a complete surprise. He will be on low wages, so a one year deal is hardly a huge risk to us. In regard to Ridehalgh, we need a core squad of players within our price range that are capable of playing in League One. We can't make fifteen new signings of higher quality, so retaining him is a sensible move.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Yes to be fair Gumbs was playing very well until his very unfortunate injury in that game - what I meant rather was that MM did not have him that high in the pecking order being behind all of Ellis, MM, Nelson and big Steve and he had again been out on loan but yes the fact we have given him a contract when he is injured is a nice touch and I hope he can get fitter in a shorter time than 7 months so he has a fair chance to compete for a place. Rides will not let anyone down and of course came back from an injury himself last season. He will be a strong candidate for LB - I guess MM is looking to bring in another LB for competition to him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think he needs the competition.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Rides does seem to divide opinion though not as much as Stockton did!
I'm made up he's still on board and think he's a far better player than the one that last played in L1.
He sums up everything we've experienced in the last six seasons.
No noises from the club about patiently looking for the "right" players, attempts to pacify restless natives etc. Suggests to me that there's a few deals nearly done.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am sure there are good reasons why we have heard so little. Even the rumour mill seems to be on holiday. However, there is plenty of time. With our limited resources, we are probably playing a waiting game, as we did in the last transfer window.

Player
Manager
John King
Andy Cook signs for Mansfield. I did not see that coming and I am gutted to be honest. I thought there was at least a small chance he would come back here.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, bit surprising that one.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m in shock. Not that I expected him to join us, or stay at Walsall - but to drop down to league 2 after a decent season in a struggling team? Must be financial surely