• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It's not though we're missing loads of chances, more that we're not creating enough. In those circumstances would Vaughan be an improvement on what we've got already? I don't know, but like Sparky would have preferred a target man option.
I am not sure I agree that we are not creating enough.

We are not making the most of balls that do go into the box. Think of the number of crosses CBT put into the box yesterday that were not attacked, or the number of times that Ferrier turns and runs into the channel but does not have support.

We don't have fantastic creativity, but good goalscorers make ordinary service look good (think of Cook and Norwood). I think it is clear that none of our strikers are prolific enough.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am not sure I agree that we are not creating enough.

We are not making the most of balls that do go into the box. Think of the number of crosses CBT put into the box yesterday that were not attacked, or the number of times that Ferrier turns and runs into the channel but does not have support.

We don't have fantastic creativity, but good goalscorers make ordinary service look good (think of Cook and Norwood). I think it is clear that none of our strikers are prolific enough.
It's a fair point, we've had a few good balls put into the box, not just by CBT which the forwards don't take advantage of. Not so much of the through balls for the forwards to run onto, which might be more suited to Ferrier/Hepburn-Murphy's game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It will be interesting if we spend our recent funds on a striker whether Micky goes to 4-4-2. Worked well with cookie and Nors but makes you wonder where Jennings would fit in (back on the wing?), and or whether Danns and Perky could cope being a middle 2 without the support of Morris etc.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think Vaughan is about the best striker we could realistically attract. His goalscoring stats are certainly better than any of our current forwards.
It goes to show how uncompetitive our finances are if the best we can attract is a surplus player from a League Two club. :( Never mind, he sounds half decent.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will be interesting if we spend our recent funds on a striker whether Micky goes to 4-4-2
I think we have to be a little more agressive for the rest of the season so if we get another striker, I would definately have two up top to try and get more goals. If we continue with the current formation we will not score enough goals.

Player
Manager
John King
It goes to show how uncompetitive our finances are if the best we can attract is a surplus player from a League Two club. :( Never mind, he sounds half decent.
He is currently third top scorer in League Two and has played the majority of his career in the Championship. He is a decent player and we could not afford him in the summer, so he won't necessarily be coming cheap.

Player
Manager
John King
I think he is leaving Bradford because of finances / politics, not because he is 'surplus' as such.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think he is leaving Bradford because of finances / politics, not because he is 'surplus' as such.
Thanks for the heads up. If we get him, I'll be very pleased with the January window - Woodyard, Clarke, McCullough, Wilson and Vaughan. I'd expect them all to be playing together in the first team soon. Anyone else half decent would be a genuine bonus.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It would be a bit pointless if we sign another striker then persist with 1 up front. Given Ferrier prefers playing as a lone striker, does he drop out under a front two or play as a pair, with the hope he’ll adapt?

Unless we loan/sell players then Micky’s going to end up with a relatively large squad. To get value from it, there needs to be squad rotation in some form, particularly with the senior midfielders. If Walker-Rice, Spellman and any other youngsters are thought to have a future at the club beyond this season, might be worth getting them a loan to a NL or NLN team, as they’re unlikely to get near the first team squad now.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If Walker-Rice, Spellman and any other youngsters are thought to have a future at the club beyond this season, might be worth getting them a loan to a NL or NLN team, as they’re unlikely to get near the first team squad now.
That's an interesting point you raise, Boz. In recent seasons, we have always lent out young players to non-league sides, but this has not happened at all this season. I wonder why the change in policy. Actually, given all the injuries, our squad isn't that large. On several occasions, we have needed one or two youngsters to fill the bench and of course for squad rotation in Football League Trophy games.

Player
ian goodison
may be mistaken but I,m sure we were linked with Vaughan at the start of the season but chose Bradford, seen bits of him on quest seems to be ok in the box be interesting how many strikers start

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think we have to be a little more agressive for the rest of the season so if we get another striker, I would definately have two up top to try and get more goals. If we continue with the current formation we will not score enough goals.

spot on Ian. If we’re going down then let’s go down fighting. As u suggest Whether it’s down to individuals or the system, the fact remains that if something doesn’t change then we’re down. Goals win games so I’d Micky can get the right striker in then let’s go 2 up front

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Vaughn would be a good move I think.
He may not be a target man, but he is brave and will keep centre backs on their toes.
I agree 4-4-2 might give Danns and Perkins a lot to do in centre midfield.
3-5-2 might be the answer if it is to be two up front.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think he'd do well here. He's decent in the air, quite skillful and has a good eye for goal.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Vaughn would be a good move I think.
He may not be a target man, but he is brave and will keep centre backs on their toes.
I agree 4-4-2 might give Danns and Perkins a lot to do in centre midfield.
3-5-2 might be the answer if it is to be two up front.
Which is why I favour rotating them. There are now enough fit players in the squad capable of playing a central midfield role, no reason to stick with Perkins and Danns every game.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Agree Boz.
Although probably not a box to box player, it would be good if MM could find a formation to slot Gilmour into as i think he is likely to create a few chances.

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Clearly Micky favours the old guard in midfield but it would be nice to see Gilmour getting some game time.

Player
Manager
John King
Vaughan is not in the Bradford squad tonight, so he is clearly going somewhere (though not necessarily here...).

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Could be a big tonight with the fixtures. Both MK Dons and Wimbledon have winnable home games albeit the former host Rochdale who are 7 points ahead of us