• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Player
aldo
Well if Norwood does go then mr Mullin will have to step up his game wont he . with him and connor both are gonna have to score more although connor scores as we all know .

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s too early to be writing notlob off until we see who ends up running the club. Given a decent manager and a sane chairman pulling back those points is not an insurmountable target.

Likewise for Rovers it’s really hard knowing how we’ll do next season until the squad takes shape. Primary target is staying up. Assuming Norwood goes, we’ll need to find at least one new striker. The lack of opportunity Mullin got suggests MM had reservations. Defensively will Monthe and Nelson sign up, if not another area where additions needed. While raw pace is not as crucial as lower down the pyramid, think we could still do with someone who can show a turn of speed further up the park.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think pace is actually more crucial the higher you go, particularly in wide areas. We already have some with Caprice and Morris but we will probably need more legs in the team generally.

Player
Manager
John King
Some of the sums being spent in League One now are eye-watering. Nors reportedly on £9,000 a week at Ipswich, and Peterborough - who did not even make the play offs last season - allegedly shelling out over £1,000,000 on Mo Eisa. The top end budgets in the division appear to be in the region of £6 -10 million.

It is a different world financially to the one we left in 2014.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, it's going to be a big step up into Division One with some really big clubs in there. It's going to be an interesting season ahead.

Player
Manager
John King
One of the biggest bonuses of promotion will be the higher standard of football. I was quite impressed with Rochdale, Shrewsbury and Walsall when we played them last season, as they all passed the ball well, and those clubs only finished in the lower reaches of the division. Quite different to some of the hoofball we saw from opposing teams in the Conference.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
One of the biggest bonuses of promotion will be the higher standard of football.
Yes. I largely enjoyed watching the games this season a lot more than the dross that was served at Conference level so I'm hoping the quality will improve and the games will be more enjoyable again.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We are still playing catch up financially with a number of teams in leagues 1 & 2 due to 3 seasons out of the league, the longer we can stay in league 1 the better in time our finances will become

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Few rumours circulating that Andy Cook is on his way back. Make of that what you will.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Few rumours circulating that Andy Cook is on his way back. Make of that what you will.

I would be happy with that but would be surprised as likely to be out of our price range

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Would love cookie back but sounds too good to be true. He has a year on his contract left at the saddlers although if wants to leave and given they got him on a free, he may not cost too much. Any chance of cookie returning could be a reason Nors may decide to stay although everything I’ve seen suggests Ipswich is a done deal

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, it would be great if it happened but I am not sure of the reliability of the source. I don't think he has ever broken a contract and there are clubs who can offer more money than us.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Callum Lang would be a realistic target. He was excellent against us for Oldham last season but is back at Wigan now. They might be interested in farming him out to a League One club.

Last edited:

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
I'd like him to come over too RLC.

I have a pal who works amongst the backroom staff (strength and conditioning in the sports science dept) at Wigan and he reckons he could be good enough to make their first team next season though.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I can see Micky going for as many loan players as he can get. They cost no fee and you can get decent quality. In particular, he will need players for half a season to cover for McCullough and Ellis (assuming Luke stays). I can't see Andy Cook leaving unless Walsall can no longer afford his wages or he has fallen out with his manager. In either case, there are richer clubs ready to snap him up. Despite being out of favour a lot, he still ended up their leading scorer by far.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I fully expect Cook to move on in the summer, the new Walsall manager has said he doesn't want players their who do want to be at the club which by the sounds of it Cook doesn't want to be, whether we sign him is another matter

Player
Manager
John King
I fully expect Cook to move on in the summer, the new Walsall manager has said he doesn't want players their who do want to be at the club which by the sounds of it Cook doesn't want to be, whether we sign him is another matter
Doncaster are rumoured to be interested, and they could blow us out of the water financially.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Matt Jones journalist has said Monthe Ridehalgh and Harris have been offered new deals

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Matt Jones journalist has said Monthe Ridehalgh and Harris have been offered new deals
I'd be happy to see all three, although the last two may only be squad players with just annual contracts. Hopefully, we can tie Manny on a longer deal.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Ridehalgh will be first choice if he stays, as he was very good in the closing months of the season. I agree about Harris though.