• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2019-20

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
In fairness, five of Morgan's goals came against hugely inferior opposition (Bolton's youth team and an Isthmian League club) so it is difficult to make a meaningful comparison. That said, I think Ferrier does have the potential to be a reasonable League One player.
In fairness, two of his goals were in August too against Bolton and two against Southend. That's not knocking Nors, but it does show that League One is quite a step up for both players.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In fairness, two of his goals were in August too against Bolton and two against Southend. That's not knocking Nors, but it does show that League One is quite a step up for both players.
That is still six goals against proper opposition, compared to Morgan's two, so I don't think the statistic is conclusive.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
That is still six goals against proper opposition, compared to Morgan's two, so I don't think the statistic is conclusive.
I agree but you wonder how well Nors would fare in our team against Ferrier in Ipswich's. I think Nors would be struggling to hit the heights of the last few seasons if he had stayed. Complete conjecture, of course, but my suggestion is that Ferrier isn't an obvious "downgrade" and probably has as much (if not more) potential to improve.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I agree that Ferrier has potential and the two players were similarly rated in non league football. However, I don't think the statistic you quoted means a great deal in isolation.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree but you wonder how well Nors would fare in our team against Ferrier in Ipswich's. I think Nors would be struggling to hit the heights of the last few seasons if he had stayed. Complete conjecture, of course, but my suggestion is that Ferrier isn't an obvious "downgrade" and probably has as much (if not more) potential to improve.
I just think there are too many imponderables to properly assess either player at this level yet. We would need at least a full season to compare their performances.

ADD

Player
Norwood
My thoughts in CAPS from RLC's initial list
Davies
Monthe
Ridehalgh
Wilson (if available)
Banks (with development) TOO VARIABLE IN PERFORMANCES BUT GOOD ENOUGH ON HIS DAY
Gilmour (possibly)GOOD ENOUGH IN MY VIEW
Jennings (he has improved a lot in recent weeks)MARGINAL CALL STILL WANTS TOO LONG ON BALL
Morris (our best player by a distance) AGREED (I WAS WRONG ABOUT HIM BEING SIGNED:) )
CBT
RHM (if available)
Ferrier (with development) GOOD ENOUGH NOW
ELLIS - WAS DOING WELL ENOUGH BEFORE THE INJURY - DEPENDS HOW HE IS AFTER SUCH A SERIOUS INJURY
NELSON - NOT CONVINCED HE IS SUDDENLY THAT BAD A PLAYER. A MAYBE FOR ME

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Taking Nelson as as example, he's not a bad player but he's young and relatively inexperienced. I don't think we have the luxury of giving him time to develop when we are sitting four places from bottom. What we need is experienced players at this level, easier said than done I know! Good players are not going to shine if the team around them are not performing. Strikers need service, defenders need protection etc etc..

Player
Manager
John King
I agree that Nelson has not looked particularly poor, and certainly has not been guilty of some of the individual mistakes that Ray has.

However, I think it is a question of whether he has done enough. As the more physical of the two defenders and the stronger aerially, I would like to see him take more command in certain situations, and I think our poor record from set pieces - in both boxes - is relevant in this regard. As Ian says above, I think we need somebody more experienced to play alongside Manny, perhaps with Nelson being used more sparingly as an understudy.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nelson did get some limited playing experience with Millwall both in a struggling Championship side, then at L1 level. I agree that if we're playing 2 central defenders and the organiser comes in, he'll be the one to make way, but Manny has struggled at times this season too, though his ability to make good last man challenges and retain possession under pressure have saved us a few in the goals conceded column.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
On another forum there is talk of 3 signings early in the window with advanced talks with another player that would be considered a real gamble, no names were given. Also suggestion that micky wants further signings but Mark may not agree.If

I would hope we can bring in more quality rather than just increase squad size, it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Player
Manager
John King
On another forum there is talk of 3 signings early in the window with advanced talks with another player that would be considered a real gamble, no names were given. Also suggestion that micky wants further signings but Mark may not agree.If

I would hope we can bring in more quality rather than just increase squad size, it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Yes, I agree. Even one or two players of genuine quality could make a big difference. Whether that is possible financially, who knows.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Most of what we’ve got already are probably adequate squad players, but need the defensive organiser and box to box midfielder capable of lasting 90 minutes as a minimum and I don’t think the gamble bigmart refers to can be the only player brought in for those positions.

Player
Manager
John King
The suggestion is that the potential 'risky' signing is Danny Hylton, a prolific goalscorer at the level below and reasonable at this one, but has had serious injury problems at Luton.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The suggestion is that the potential 'risky' signing is Danny Hylton, a prolific goalscorer at the level below and reasonable at this one, but has had serious injury problems at Luton.
if over his injury would be a fantastic signing but could be a big if

Player
aldo
why oh why do we always go down this road . we will have a team of crocks . call us tranmere crocky rovers

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sounds right up our street. Has ability but could be crocked for most of it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hopefully under the age of 35!