• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well too far... :D

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Kieron Morris has been released by Walsall.

He is not rated by everybody, but I would definitely sign him. He doesn't do anything spectacular around the box, but he has good technique, is hardworking and is a good team player.

I think we need to keep as many of the current team together as possible.

drwhoman

I think he'd score a bagful in League 1, and would hold the ball up as well.
However, we couldn't afford him and he wouldn't drop down that far, but still!
I was thinking how Tranmere did well previously with ex top flight players, Nevin, Aldo, Liam O'Brien, Gary Stevens...that mixture of big game experience, class, with youth.
Agree Chris but top level players get paid too much theses days to bother carrying on down the pyramid. They prefer Legends games!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was thinking how Tranmere did well previously with ex top flight players, Nevin, Aldo, Liam O'Brien, Gary Stevens...that mixture of big game experience, class, with youth.
Remember we were then two leagues higher. If we did get back up to Championship level, that policy might work, although most Premiership players are foreign and might just go home, to China or USA when no longer good enough. You certainly don't get decent ex-EPL players in Leagues One and Two nowadays.

Player
Norwood
Agree Chris but top level players get paid too much theses days to bother carrying on down the pyramid. They prefer Legends games!

Agreed! I was just daydreaming after listening to "That Peter Crouch Podcast"....well worth a listen too!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Remember we were then two leagues higher. If we did get back up to Championship level, that policy might work, although most Premiership players are foreign and might just go home, to China or USA when no longer good enough. You certainly don't get decent ex-EPL players in Leagues One and Two nowadays.
It is a shame that so few players who’ve played at the top level are seen in the lower leagues later on in their careers, than used to be the case.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Much of course will depend on whether we are in L1 or L2 but for me the players we should do our utmost to keep are Nors (not going to happen I know in my heart but if we go up.....) and Manny (homesick?) Sid Nelson was certainly fully into it when we won at FGR - he definitely would be next on the list if he can live with being up north. Pringle frustrated me as should have been so much better but as RLC has already commented his attitude did not fit in so MM will not consider. Pringle - personally I think not good enough as does not make enough of an impact. Mc Cullough would be great to keep but we cannot afford another Wallace situation and sadly his knees seem dodgy so only on a pay as you play deal. Does Miller's contract finish in June? I would be tempted to keep him despite his injury if it does as he offers something different.

Player
ian goodison
funny old game football we have 3 players nelson, morris & pringle all released yet trying to get us promoted, nelson & morris I would keep but what a way to keep yourselves in the shop window, also read ash taylor now available for transfer

Player
Manager
John King
We can go through the squad in more detail when the dust has settled next week, but personally I would offer McCullough at least a one year deal depending on the extent of his injury, as I think he has been excellent for us.

I am not fussed about Miller, particularly as we did not really see enough of him to determine how good he is, plus he is getting on and has injury issues. I think there will be better options available.

Player
aldo
agree think we need to start getting some younger talent in also think dagnall will be off again . a strange transfer that one as he has not been given a chance so with only mullin and connor up top . that is if nors goes . we will defo be seeing some one new up top in reality terms i think there is gonna be a big turn over in the summer

Player
Norwood
Much of course will depend on whether we are in L1 or L2 but for me the players we should do our utmost to keep are Nors (not going to happen I know in my heart but if we go up.....) and Manny (homesick?) Sid Nelson was certainly fully into it when we won at FGR - he definitely would be next on the list if he can live with being up north. Pringle frustrated me as should have been so much better but as RLC has already commented his attitude did not fit in so MM will not consider. Pringle - personally I think not good enough as does not make enough of an impact. Mc Cullough would be great to keep but we cannot afford another Wallace situation and sadly his knees seem dodgy so only on a pay as you play deal. Does Miller's contract finish in June? I would be tempted to keep him despite his injury if it does as he offers something different.
Perkins for me is the one that we need to keep (no chance of Nord, maybe Manny).
His calm head and distribution is something we haven't had for many years

Player
aldo
thing is lg 1 if we get there is gonna be a lot harder than lg 2 we have a few players who might be able to make the move up but i can see big steve . dagnall
stockton
buxton
harris
tollitt
rides
cant see pringle staying would like sid to dont think much of morris . i get a feeling it could be quite a change this summer we all know nors is gone so we realy need a whole new front line to go with connor

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
thing is lg 1 if we get there is gonna be a lot harder than lg 2 we have a few players who might be able to make the move up but i can see big steve . dagnall
stockton
buxton
harris
tollitt
rides
cant see pringle staying would like sid to dont think much of morris . i get a feeling it could be quite a change this summer we all know nors is gone so we realy need a whole new front line to go with connor
Agree with most of them AM but I think that Jay could still provide cover even at L1 level. He always struck me as one of those players who rarely stands out but has a work ethic that means he rarely has a very bad game (providing he remains on the pitch of course!). I'm not sure about Rides; he has played L1 with us before and I don't remember him being shown up - although it's a long time ago now! The feeling is that Micky likes him, so I'd be surprised if he goes and it may be more likely that Zoom departs. Of course, I'd love us to acquire a fantastic left back who is better than both of them! If we don't go up I'd certainly not have any issue with offering both of them contracts.

Player
Manager
John King
I think we can afford to offer him a one year deal. If it was not for McCullough, we would not be in the play offs now. No other player in the squad plays the water-carrier role as well as he does.