• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Bad news about Luke McCullough, as bad as we feared. He is out for the season. Although our squad is full of quality and has strength in depth, he is one of the few players who can't easily be replaced with someone of similar ability, so Micky may have to rethink his playing strategy to give the defence more protection. I wonder if last night's defeat would have happened if Luke had been there to protect Mark and Manny, who apparently had poor games.

Thinking ahead, his contract with Forest runs out at the end of the season. In the last window, I understand he turned down a permanent move, presumably to keep his options open for something better. As things now stand, I expect he may be more inclined to join us, if the offer is repeated, but he will have to make a complete recovery first. Perhaps he now wishes he had accepted the deal on offer.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The problem with McCullough is I’m guessing it could be the same injury that has meant he’s hardly played in the 2 years before coming to us. You start wondering if he could be another Ben Tollit in that respect.

When he went down he knew straightaway he had to come off I’m guesssing recognised the signs.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The problem with McCullough is I’m guessing it could be the same injury that has meant he’s hardly played in the 2 years before coming to us. You start wondering if he could be another Ben Tollit in that respect.

When he went down he knew straightaway he had to come off I’m guesssing recognised the signs.
Yes, I agree. Hopefully he will get himself fit enough over the summer for us to offer him a deal.

Returning to last night's game, I was more impressed by Lang than any striker I have seen this season, with the exception of Nors. If Norwood leaves, he is the sort of player I think we should be looking at. He is currently at Wigan but might be available in the summer, particularly if they are still in the Championship.

Last edited:

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Yes, I agree. Hopefully he will get himself fit enough over the summer for us to offer him a deal.

Returning to last night's game, I was more impressed by Lang than any striker I have seen this season, with the exception of Nors. If Norwood leaves, he is the sort of player I think we should be looking at. He is currently at Wigan but might be available in the summer, particularly if they are still in the Championship.
Agreed, he looked dangerous every time he got the ball, made intelligent runs and had Manny and Ellis and knots when he ran at them.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I cant see us offering McCullough a contract as he has had several serious knee injuries and I think it would be too risky

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It would be a real shame as he's been excellent for us.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think he needs to get fully fit first and then go through pre-season first. If not, he would be a risk for any club.

On a happier note, I hear that Ishmael Miller (remember him?) is back in training and is expected to be available to play before the end of the season. What a boost that would be, particularly for the play-offs.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Sid Nelson has been released by Millwall. I think we should offer him a deal, as he is the ideal replacement for Ellis (who is out until the New Year), with a similar playing style. Swindon will also definitely make him an offer, so we will face competition.

I would also offer Pringle a deal for his quality on the ball; I think he made a big difference for us during our winning run. However, Mellon is clearly unhappy with his workrate so it won't happen.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I wouldn’t sign Pringle as doesn’t fit into mickeys work ethic. Definitely offer Nelson a deal but there is a good chance he’ll stay down south and he’ll have plenty of options

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We need a new thread for next season, but it is probably best to wait till we know which division we will be in. That will affect our budget and the required standards. I can think of one or two I'd keep if we stay down and let go if we go up.

Player
Norwood
no thanks past it
I think he'd score a bagful in League 1, and would hold the ball up as well.
However, we couldn't afford him and he wouldn't drop down that far, but still!
I was thinking how Tranmere did well previously with ex top flight players, Nevin, Aldo, Liam O'Brien, Gary Stevens...that mixture of big game experience, class, with youth.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I think he'd score a bagful in League 1, and would hold the ball up as well.
However, we couldn't afford him and he wouldn't drop down that far, but still!
Even at his age it would be a massive coup! Even a Ricketts playing alongside him would bag a few … maybe that's going too far ...