• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
RLC just saved me a lot of time in front of a keyboard as I agree with ever sentiment, except maybe for Ben who I still feel is young enough to bounce back although having reviewed every twitter commentary at Wrexham he’s not set the world alight. Long injury return is natural though as he doesn’t seem to have lost pace, maybe just confidence. I’ve always been pretty much vanilla with Stockton, no issues with him as a partner for Nors. Haven’t we only lost one game when he’s started or something? Probably Swindon away when Jay was sent off but too lazy to check, lol. I do think we’re incrementally improving the squad & Jay will potentially be a victim as maybe Sutts has been, but he leaves us as one of the immortals from Wembley even though he didn’t last the entire match.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I suppose this is just a natural way of moving on. The club is going places and we need players that will take us into the next phase. I wish Sutton all the best with his new club.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think it is one area of the squad where we have good cover. We have got four senior centre backs competing for two or three positions (McNulty, Monthe, Ellis, Buxton) with Gumbs as cover if needed. Even if we play three at the back, that is sufficient.

If Buxton can't play at right back, then Caprice will.
Sorry, RLC, we are going to have to disagree on this one. We started the season with 4 central defenders plus 2 extras in Buxton and Gumbs. That was when we played two at the back. We now have just 3 regular stoppers plus Buxton and Gumbs, when we need 3 to play and ideally one on the bench. We only need an injury and a suspension and we will be threadbare. Unlike the last three seasons, we can no longer bring in loanees at short notice to fill such gaps. Ritchie may have been in his last season with us anyway, but surely keeping him on for a few more months would not have cost much. I am sure there is some logic in letting a contracted player go on a free without a replacement. It's just that I can't see it.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Sorry, RLC, we are going to have to disagree on this one. We started the season with 4 central defenders plus 2 extras in Buxton and Gumbs. That was when we played two at the back. We now have just 3 regular stoppers plus Buxton and Gumbs, when we need 3 to play and ideally one on the bench. We only need an injury and a suspension and we will be threadbare. Unlike the last three seasons, we can no longer bring in loanees at short notice to fill such gaps. I am sure there is some logic in letting a contracted player go on a free without a replacement. It's just that I can't see it.
I don't necessarily think we will be playing three at the back all season; we have done it recently to try and shore things up away from home, but we won't necessarily use it in all circumstances.

However, even if we do, we have got five central defenders (I think Buxton's best position at this level is as a centre back in a back three, rather than at right back) to cover three positions, which is ample in my view.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't necessarily think we will be playing three at the back all season; we have done it recently to try and shore things up away from home, but we won't necessarily use it in all circumstances.

However, even if we do, we have got five central defenders (I think Buxton's best position at this level is as a centre back in a back three, rather than at right back) to cover three positions, which is ample in my view.
I just hope you are right.

ADD

Player
Norwood
The more I think about this the more I think the agitation must have come from Ritchie who had seen the writing on the wall in terms of not having his contract renewed at the season end and when there was an opportunity for a guaranteed further one year's contract with Morecambe he was 100% up for it.

That is all well and good, and it shows a nice touch for us to agree to let him go given he has gone on a free but surely this assumes we are confident we can get significantly better. The issue with that is in the summer there will be lots of other competition for clearly better players so we may need to pay a fee. Secondly, we must surely be looking for at least 2 CB's given even if Steve is offered another contract surely we should be looking for his long term replacement in the close season and Gumbs doesn't seem to be favoured by MM either so doubt he will be offered a further contract as he has basically done nothing this season. Final issue is we are also relying on MM's recruitment - I still have nightmares about McEveley who he brought in and who was supposedly a decent level player.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Just seen Saun Donellan has had his contract terminated by mutual consent so I assume MM isn't waiting until the close season?
So has MM had him lined up for a while and would he be a replacement for Sutton. I note he is relatively inexperienced himself....24 games for Yeovil? Gumbs might see it ad a blow.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Why this link with Donnellan? Not a player I’m familiar with and curious as to what makes people think we’ll sign him as opposed to others who’ve ended their contracts early.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
He had his contract mutually terminated around 4 days before Sutton went to Morecambe.

I don't get how because his contract has now been cut short that we're in for him. Last time i checked there were more clubs than Rovers at this level.

Does have some experience at this level though.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Why this link with Donnellan? Not a player I’m familiar with and curious as to what makes people think we’ll sign him as opposed to others who’ve ended their contracts early.
Boz, ADD had posted something earlier indicating MM may have Donellan in mind? Hence the question.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks Higgy. Perhaps ADD can throw some more light on the Donellan situation. Has Micky worked with him before?

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Only club I’ve seen him linked with is Rochdale to fill the gap McGinehey left moving to Scunthorpe.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have been told Norwood is going to sign an 18 month deal next week, possibly on monday
Of course, we all hope it's true, although we've heard similar rumours before. You wonder why the delay. However, if it is true, then full marks to the club for pulling out all the stops to persuade Nors to sign and to Nors for his loyalty to the club and faith in its future. This would give everyone associated with TRFC a huge boost. It would also explain why this window's activity has been so disappointing, as I expect he'll be getting a big pay rise. ;)

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Of course, we all hope it's true, although we've heard similar rumours before. You wonder why the delay. However, if it is true, then full marks to the club for pulling out all the stops to persuade Nors to sign and to Nors for his loyalty to the club and faith in its future. This would give everyone associated with TRFC a huge boost. It would also explain why this window's activity has been so disappointing, as I expect he'll be getting a big pay rise. ;)
I would not say the activity in this window has been disappointing. Perkins and Miller should both be better than what we already have and to get Gilmour permanently was excellent.

Player
aldo
totally agree will take miller over cole .( not that im having a go at cole ) realy wish it had worked for him at rovers but some times the shoe don,t fit. ok perkins is getting on but if he gets the job done who cares . and if he passes some stuff on to young happy Gilmour and helps him get even better then great . can see a couple more comming in . will have to wait and see