• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Would have thought Micky aware of any ‘issues’ with Waring from previous time working with him, so a surprise he got so little chance in the NL on the back of a 2 year deal. One day the full picture may become clear, but agree with Sparky that best for all parties if he moves on.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have not heard the full interview yet, but apparently Palios has stated on Radio Merseyside that Norwood will not be sold in January.

Player
Manager
John King
Palios also said we have already lined up targets we will try to sign in January. Going OT, he also commented that 6,000 seats at PP have been repaired since he arrived.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. That’s some positive news indeed!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think that’s the benefit of the Cup run, we can afford to lose any Norwood transfer money, whereas fail to get past Southport and we might have had no option but to sell.

Player
Manager
John King
I think that’s the benefit of the Cup run, we can afford to lose any Norwood transfer money, whereas fail to get past Southport and we might have had no option but to sell.
Absolutely, which is why a number of us thought the Southport match was much more important than the Notts County game. We lost three points at Meadow Lane, but how many points would we have lost without Norwood for the second half of the season ?

Player
aldo
Very true. Who do we bring in what do we need . Think a forward . And a strong middle man . Williams I think will go no point keeping him . Will they go again for row. It's gonna be a interesting month think a centre back will come in as well.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Very true. Who do we bring in what do we need . Think a forward . And a strong middle man . Williams I think will go no point keeping him . Will they go again for row. It's gonna be a interesting month think a centre back will come in as well.

I cant see us signing another centre back when we have five already, think a centre midfielder, striker and a winger

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We have the quality and quantity in defence and also on the wings. (Our defenders are OK at this level but are often let down by a lack of protection in front of them.) An extra striker would be useful, but we have three experienced in League Two already. Where we have struggled with injuries, suspensions and loss of form is central midfield. Currently, we have only Banks (fine but occasionally loses form), Harris (a good worker but poor discipline and arguably not up to L2 standard), McCullough (very good and consistent at this level) and Gilmour (talented and promising). As things stand, the last two go back to their parent clubs in January. For me, the priority should be extending their loans or signing McCullough on contract and bringing in another holding midfielder. The cup money could pay for these signings.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think McCulloch’s loan has been extended for the rest of the season? If we could have another midfielder in the Banks mould, who’s creative but prepared to get stuck in a bit that would be good. Would also look at getting in another winger.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Think McCulloch’s loan has been extended for the rest of the season? If we could have another midfielder in the Banks mould, who’s creative but prepared to get stuck in a bit that would be good. Would also look at getting in another winger.
I'd heard a rumour about McCullough, but there's been no official announcement. Re an extra winger, we already have Tollitt, Cole, Jennings and Smith but another to replace DMH (assuming he leaves us soon), might be handy. However, they he would be unlikely to see much action.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The official site isn’t the best source of information or the easiest to navigate. Think the message that McCullough was staying came from Grant McCann his manager at Doncaster.

While Jennings and Cole can play out wide, neither are true wingers and Connor’s performance at Southport fuels the argument he should regularly play in his best position.

DMH has gone back to his club injured, doubt he’ll return when fit. Tollitt is nowhere near the first team at present. Throw in Smith’s lack of stamina and there’s definitely a case for another winger.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I think it is easier to state the area where we don't need to strengthen, which to me is the centre of defence. Everywhere else, I think we could do with more quality.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Definitely need another winger. I’m still a big of Tollit but you wonder whether his rovers career is peetering out sadly.

Another centre mid too as of Banks or McCullough are missing I don’t think Harris and Gilmour are good enough. Plus Banks hasn’t been in great form before his injury.

Technically we have 4 strikers on the books but Cole won’t score many. Akmanndu doesn’t seem to be good enough to make the bench most games so we need a strike to give some real competition.

Palios says Nors won’t go in January but if a silly offer comes in that may change.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Palios says Nors won’t go in January but if a silly offer comes in that may change.
I think it’s going to be really hard to keep hold of him.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
. I’m still a big of Tollit but you wonder whether his rovers career is peetering out sadly.
Sadly (for Ben) I have to agree. He's had the stuffing well and truly knocked out of him and I can't see the club earmarking funds for another contract.
Such a shame because he electrified games before his first injury.
As was once said about Ian Botham, he was someone a bloke would put his pint down to watch. In my view as good a compliment as you can get.
Defensively we can cover every position twice over with decent players, not just makeshifts, so our priority has to be further up the field.
It's interesting about Nors. We fans still see the same, give it all player but the goal graph is gradually heading south. Might hopefully put off a few suitors.
After Monday, thank f*** CJ is tied in!!

Player
aldo
Ben should have been allowed to go out on loan . To get his confidence back . Can see him going in Jan as there's no point him being at pp if we ant gonna help the poor lad . It's a shame he was terrific when he first arrived

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ben should have been allowed to go out on loan . To get his confidence back . Can see him going in Jan as there's no point him being at pp if we ant gonna help the poor lad . It's a shame he was terrific when he first arrived

You got your wish AM. Ben joins Wrexham on loan