• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I won't judge players until I have seen them play regularly, but I am with Boz to the extent that the Perkins signing excites me more than Miller. However, I think Miller is being brought here to do a job and give us another tactical option, not because he is likely to score loads of goals.

Elsewhere, Christian Doidge is on his way back to FGR after Bolton failed to pay his transfer fee or honour his contract. Bad news for us, as he will no doubt start smashing them in at League Two level. Bolton really are an appallingly run club, and should have been penalised by now for their financial mismanagement.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
However, I think Miller is being brought here to do a job and give us another tactical option, not because he is likely to score loads of goals.
Miller's scoring record is really poor averaging about one goal every six games, although most of these games were at Championship level. Given his age and the fact he has hardly started any games in the last two and a half seasons, he would be a huge risk. I seriously doubt he can be anywhere near match fit, so would expect him to be given a trial (at best). However, if he is as effective as the last Oldham reject we signed (Ollie Banks), I won't complain.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What we do know is that we need someone to hold up the ball and have ability in the air. Miller will give us that. If we are trying to compare him to our last target man who could also score goals, that's unreasonable. He may do a very good job for us. I think a lot depends on how he fits into the team and how MM wants him to play. Let's see how it pans out.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Stockton to Dragons!
Didn't see that coming.
Must mean a striker on his way to us?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Stockton to Dragons!
Didn't see that coming.
Must mean a striker on his way to us?
Look what the Wrexham manager said.
"He's a good hold up player and bigger and stronger than what we've got," Wrexham boss Graham Barrow said.
Must be another Cole Stockton he's thinking of.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As CK says that is an unexpected move. Whilst Micky has understandably always backed Cole, the statistics don't lie - his goal record is poor - no matter how much he can hold the ball up with his back to goal. The SWAs recent positive cheers when he was subbed won't have helped. Then there was his cupping of the ear when he scored but he did get a decent send off in the Morcambe that game when subbed., but 3 days later against Yeovil he was ineffective.

I'm expecting Ishmael Miller will be the one to fill the void for a target man although whether that is a long term solution remains to be seen. Unless Micky has someone else up his sleeve...

Wrexham are desperately short of goals so no surprise they have signed a striker (they brought in Jason Oswell from Morecambe recently too). Will be interesting how he does.

Nors needs a new partner to share the drive to work with.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If he’s stronger than what they’ve got, their current target man needs a few more weetabix!

I actually think Cole can do well at that level as I think it suits his abilities.

I’m expecting an announcement regarding a striker soon..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, Ian. Looks like your offer of pints all round if Cole scores 10 this season won't apply - unless you didn't specify for which club. ;) Seriously, you may be right and he'll score a bag full back in the NL.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well, Ian. Looks like your offer of pints all round if Cole scores 10 this season won't apply - unless you didn't specify for which club. ;) Seriously, you may be right and he'll score a bag full back in the NL.

I don’t think the actual team was specified so good luck Cole!!

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Miller signs till end of season. Gilmour signs permanent contract for 18 months. Pleased about Harvey and will reserve judgement on Ishmael.

Player
Manager
John King
Miller signs till end of season. Gilmour signs permanent contract for 18 months. Pleased about Harvey and will reserve judgement on Ishmael.
Pretty much my own thoughts. I am delighted with the Gilmour signing as he has got loads of ability and will improve with experience. Although Miller does not set the pulse racing, I think he will be better than Stockton.

Player
Manager
John King
As CK says that is an unexpected move. Whilst Micky has understandably always backed Cole, the statistics don't lie - his goal record is poor - no matter how much he can hold the ball up with his back to goal. The SWAs recent positive cheers when he was subbed won't have helped. Then there was his cupping of the ear when he scored but he did get a decent send off in the Morcambe that game when subbed., but 3 days later against Yeovil he was ineffective.

I'm expecting Ishmael Miller will be the one to fill the void for a target man although whether that is a long term solution remains to be seen. Unless Micky has someone else up his sleeve...

Wrexham are desperately short of goals so no surprise they have signed a striker (they brought in Jason Oswell from Morecambe recently too). Will be interesting how he does.

Nors needs a new partner to share the drive to work with.
I am glad Cole has moved for his sake and the club's. With the constant debate about him here, there was a danger of the situation becoming toxic again. I don't think he will ever be good enough for us, in all honesty.

He has been prolific at National League level in the past, so it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Good luck to Stockton it just hasn't worked out for him this season, happy with Gilmour signing, time will tell over Miller.

I heard that Sutton is going to Morecambe and that Norwood was not in training today, make of that what you will

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Boz, take your point re number of games, but at the end of the day, as good as he is likely to be, Perkins has played 600+ games and that is deemed a good signing. So why not Miller unless he has known fitness issues? His limited appearances maybe down to not fitting into other sides style of play......we'll wait and see. If we have previously seen Stockton as a make-shift target man, then we surely needed to get something sorted in that regard. Fingers crossed Miller will do the business on the pitch. - and in the changing room.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Always nice to see new faces. We all know about Gilmour which is good news so let’s hope Miller settles in well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Boz, take your point re number of games, but at the end of the day, as good as he is likely to be, Perkins has played 600+ games and that is deemed a good signing. So why not Miller unless he has known fitness issues? His limited appearances maybe down to not fitting into other sides style of play......we'll wait and see. If we have previously seen Stockton as a make-shift target man, then we surely needed to get something sorted in that regard. Fingers crossed Miller will do the business on the pitch. - and in the changing room.
Higgy, as you say, we'll see. Miller missed all of the season before last, whether through fitness issues or unable to get a club, I've no idea. Unsure if he is a traditional target man though.

Pleased about the Gilmour signing and hope the move to Wrexham works out for Stockton. There is mention of another player coming in too.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Will still need more signings. Gilmour was already with us and has been out of the side recently apart from Spurs.

Miller is a straight swap for Cole so apart from Perkins the squad numbers are the same albeit with a bit more quality perhaps.

Still hoping a decent wide player comes in. Plus a striker if big Marts rumours are true about Nors.

Player
Manager
John King
Matt Jones has confirmed one more player will be coming in. A youngster from Man Utd has been rumoured, who I think is a wide player.

Player
aldo
glad happy gill is staying . also happy cole has got away . he wont be back at this club again . i know his mum and she says he hates the fans . and his confidence is shot . he has wanted away for ages . gotta give miller a chance