• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
aldo
makes you wonder what we got mullin in for again we paid for him . as we have 3or 4 players now and its the ones we are paying for who are turning out to be donkeys . if i was mullin i would not be to happy

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
makes you wonder what we got mullin in for again we paid for him . as we have 3or 4 players now and its the ones we are paying for who are turning out to be donkeys . if i was mullin i would not be to happy
Players are not picked in the first team for one of two reasons. Either because they are not up to it or because we have a strong squad, the players chosen are playing well and they can't break into the team. With Alabi and Waring, it was for the first reason. But I am confident that in Mullin's case, the second reason applies.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with BBTC about Mullin. We have not seen enough of him to write him off yet and he has got a decent pedigree at this level. Whether or not a player costs a fee often just depends on their contract circumstances.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Heard from someone at the Mansfield game that Stockton started well but appeared to flag a little towards the end of the game. Yet MM preferred a fading Stockton to Mullin? As I said earlier can understand the Norwood-Stockton combo starting, but if I were Mullin would be disappointed that getting so little time off the bench.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
MM just seems to prefer Stockton for one reason or another.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mullin will get his chance and I hope he is ready to take it. It must be frustrating for him but you can judge the strength of a team by the depth and quality of the bench. Ours is pretty strong now, but when the injured and suspended players return it will be the strongest we have had in years.

drwhoman

Talking of Waring, I have probably missed it but where has he gone? On another player, I see that Michael Iheikwe has joined Acctington on loan.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ihikwe was warning the bench at times last season so when the millers went up I thought he’d struggle to play. Another scouser joining Accrington with mangan.

Waring is still with us but I’ve more chance of playing than he has. It’s an odd one. Micky knew him from his time at Barnsley and gave him a 2 year deal.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
No issues with lack of game time for Mullin as everyone will get their chance through the season & when they do they’ve got to be match ready! That’s how you keep an entire squad on their toes & you have to ensure there is squad cover whilst keeping the fringe players involved. MM for me has great man management skills in this direction & never bemoans injuries in public which could be seen as a negative/weakness or excuse.

Player
aldo
I was just making the point that if i was mullin i wouldn't be to happy . . I hope he when he gets a chance he takes it with both hands . Especially with acay the new forward could be hard to do so .sorry cant spell his name

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was just making the point that if i was mullin i wouldn't be to happy . . I hope he when he gets a chance he takes it with both hands . Especially with acay the new forward could be hard to do so .sorry cant spell his name
Yeah, I bet he's really disappointed. But so should all the senior pros who aren't in the team. That's part and parcel of what football is about. At least first teamers know they'll lose their place if they don't play well.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No issue with who starts, but I hope MM isn’t going down the route Brabin took with a reluctance to use subs.

Meanwhile gather Luke Pilling loaned out to Ashton Utd for 6 months suggesting he’s not got a future with Rovers?

M

Mal

No issue with who starts, but I hope MM isn’t going down the route Brabin took with a reluctance to use subs.

Meanwhile gather Luke Pilling loaned out to Ashton Utd for 6 months suggesting he’s not got a future with Rovers?

guess the reluctance issue was answered today

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I doubt it. After his debut at Maidstone just 16 months ago, I thought he'd be challenging Scott last season. Now he can't even make the bench. If he plays well at Ashton, he may be recalled when Shamal goes, but it's probably unlikely.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I doubt it. After his debut at Maidstone just 16 months ago, I thought he'd be challenging Scott last season. Now he can't even make the bench. If he plays well at Ashton, he may be recalled when Shamal goes, but it's probably unlikely.
Despite the Maidenhead performance and the Welsh accolades Luke hasn't, unfortunately, shown he has the ability to be our no 1. He was poor in pre season and didn't show as any better than Patrick Wharton. I, like many others, was hoping that he was our next great young keeper, but I, sadly ,don't think he's good enough. Both parties need to move on. Best wishes to Luke.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with ONIGP. While we all like to see young players progress, they have to be good enough, particularly in the cut-throat environment where we now find ourselves.

Wharton seems to be progressing well, so I would guess he will replace Pilling as the young understudy in the near future.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
How can a player decline from being good enough for a new contract a couple of months ago, to being 4th choice keeper and farmed out on loan to a NL North side now?

It seems little effort has been made to boost Pilling’s confidence as a result of an error and poor showing in a friendly. I don’t think Luke has a future with Rovers, but don’t feel the club have handled this well.

Haven’t seen Paddy Wharton play at all, any good?

Player
Manager
John King
How can a player decline from being good enough for a new contract a couple of months ago, to being 4th choice keeper and farmed out on loan to a NL North side now?
Because he (unexpectedly) played all the pre-season games and was not any good. A manager can only discover how good a youngster is by watching him in serious matches. I am sure Pilling showed enough promise in training / youth matches to merit a contract extension, but was then found wanting when he was tested seriously.

If he is not going to get games here, it is in his interest to go out and get matches elsewhere. Plenty of players have had to drop down a couple of levels to forge a career for themselves.

Wharton has looked quite promising in the matches I have seen, but whether he is good enough for the Football League only time will tell.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don’t know how many pre-season games Pilling played. Going by the reports on the friendlies on here, he made some good saves v Liverpool, played but doesn’t get a mention in the Wigan reports, kept a clean sheet at Warrington. By the time of the Fleetwood game where RLC describes him as starting nervously, then being responsible for the first goal, George was already at the club as he played second half. Luke wasn’t given any game time v Chorley/Rochdale to try and restore confidence and hasn’t featured since. Impression given, going back to last season, is that the manager has never been convinced by Pilling, so it remains a puzzle why he was given a contract extension, when funds were so tight. I agree it’s the right thing for Luke to go out and play elsewhere, but wonder with the benefit of hindsight if he regrets not moving to Brentford when they showed interest.