• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Luke McCullough signs on loan from Doncaster until 2nd January. He is a defensive midfielder and has a decent pedigree, with a number of games in the Championship and League One. However, he also has a chequered injury record.

He is clearly a replacement for Harris, although we must have been monitoring him for some time. On paper, this looks a very good signing.

As harsh as it sounds, Harris could struggle to get back in the team until Christmas now, and he can only really blame himself.
I'm as pleased as you are, RLC. He has had some issues, but otherwise you are not going to get a player of his quality in League Two. He is a current international, so must be well thought of.

That's a good bit of business by Micky and addresses our immediate priority. He should prove a great replacement for Harris. My only disagreement with RLC is that Banks and McCullough will probably play every game and it will only take one injury or sending off for Jay to get back in. We are still a little light in the middle, but I'd rather now see a decent striker coming in before 31st.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Like others, I’m surprised Eddie Clarke is so far down the pecking order at Fleetwood and was always puzzled why he went there, given Barton a high-risk appointment. It’s bad news for us in that it’s likely to reduce any fee we get for him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You do wonder if Zooms injury was bad whether we’d consider bringing Eddie back on loan although depends on the progress of ridehalgh.

BBTC I guess Gilmour will be back up to Banks and McCullough and Micky will hope that’s enough for 3 games whilst Harris is missing.

McCullough is a risk however as he’s not played much football in recent years so let’s hope he’s not another wallace

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Regarding Zoom, he’s been great on his return, let’s hope he’s not blighted by injuries too!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If McCullogh can keep himself fit and he gets a good run in the team, him and Banks in the middle would make a great partnership able to control any game with great ball retention. Just what we needed to replace Norburn. Lets get a striker now and storm the league !

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
He looked a very different player to Nowood and Stockton in pre-season - physical but pacy - and gives us another option.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Wasn’t aware he was attached to another club when we had him pre-season. I’m not sure that we’ll see that much of him in action, but another option to call upon.

Mulllin seems to be getting very little match time at present. Hadn’t expected him to start when Stockton arrived, but expected to see more of him than has been the case.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
RLC - so Franklyn played in preseason games? If so did he stand out as much as Soukouna?

drwhoman

Interesting club. Founded in 1912. A Serie C club who were regulars in Serie A at one time. The grey heads amongst us might remember Rivera, the Italian midfielder of the late 1960s who played for them. Now typical Serie C. Small town and gates. Often owned by a local identity, many of whom end up in jail for tax fraud or whatever! See how he goes!

Player
Manager
John King
RLC - so Franklyn played in preseason games? If so did he stand out as much as Soukouna?
He played at Chorley and came on as a sub against Rochdale. No, he did not stand out as much as Soukouna, but he has qualities that we don't see in the other forwards.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Thanks for that RLC. Wonder where he has been last 3 weeks or so. If not with the squad or back in Italy he might be behind the others in terms of fitness. As you say it is nice to have another option though.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is a strange one. Why would an Italian Serie C side want to loan an EFL League Two side a striker for a whole season? Whose idea was this? The agent who arranged this must have a big book of contacts. Why did it take so long to finalise? I suspect Micky hoped he could get someone better, but as we now know, he didn't. But let's be positive and give the guy a chance. Most of the players we have signed over the years have been other clubs' castoffs, although I can't remember anyone from Serie C.

Player
Manager
John King
I think we actually decided to sign him weeks ago, but it has taken a while to agree terms.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Wonder what level Serie C is and equally why would potentially a bigger club want to loan one of their players. Although as RLC states he does offer something different from our other strikers.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think we actually decided to sign him weeks ago, but it has taken a while to agree terms.
Personally, I think that this works best as we have avoided paying a transfer fee and have a whole year to make up our minds. My guess is that his future will be settled in the next transfer window. We'll either take him on permanently or send him back.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Wonder what level Serie C is and equally why would potentially a bigger club want to loan one of their players..
Remembering our days in the Anglo-Italian Cup, when we were in what is now the Championship, we played against sides in Serie B, so I would suggest those two leagues are about the same, although maybe the Championship is now stronger than the old First Division. Serie C is obviously one level below, except that it has 57 clubs split into three regional divisions, a bit like the old Third Division North/South. So Serie C is actually equivalent to League One, League Two and the National League combined. Given that US Alessandria disbanded, reformed and fought its way back up the leagues (a bit like Accrington Stanley) and has a ground capacity of just 6,000, I would say they a probably a smaller club than us. I think Franklyn wants to better himself and his club would welcome some cash from an eventual transfer fee.

drwhoman

Franklyn is of Nigerian heritage so maybe he has relatives in UK. I am sure he will be less controversial than Balotelli!