• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Most of those home defeats were during our bad spell. Hopefully we won't see Macc again this season. In a one-off play-off match, I'd back us. And I would hope we are practising penalties already. ;)
You beat me to it BBTC. The early season defeats are irrelevant in the current context (both Wrexham and Sutton failed to beat us more recently) and Macc are in a different class to most teams at this level.

I would be worried by a home tie against Aldershot, who I think would probably beat us, but I would fancy us at home against any of the other challengers.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Most of those home defeats were during our bad spell. Hopefully we won't see Macc again this season. In a one-off play-off match, I'd back us. And I would hope we are practising penalties already. ;)
You beat me to it BBTC. The early season defeats are irrelevant in the current context (both Wrexham and Sutton failed to beat us more recently) and Macc are in a different class to most teams at this level.

I would be worried by a home tie against Aldershot, who I think would probably beat us, but I would fancy us at home against any of the other challengers.
My fear is after a dismal second half v Macc, followed by what you both felt was a below par performance at Maidstone that the current context could be the start of a new bad spell. Two tough away games next will give us a better idea. However, I share Ian's play-off phobia and am not hopeful we'll progress through that route.

Player
Manager
John King
My fear is after a dismal second half v Macc, followed by what you both felt was a below par performance at Maidstone that the current context could be the start of a new bad spell.
Alternatively, the manner of victory at Maidstone might have lifted confidence and we have now been bolstered by new signings.

Either way, the play-offs are still some weeks off.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My fear is after a dismal second half v Macc, followed by what you both felt was a below par performance at Maidstone that the current context could be the start of a new bad spell.
No-one has mentioned the fact that both our left-backs were unavailable and our third choice didn't last till half-time. (No wonder we ended up playing three at the back!) McNulty and Ginnelly were also out and Monthe was making his debut. That's a lot of change to cope with, particularly for a team shell shocked from just four days earlier. The team played as badly, but battled till the end and got the result. When the players came to greet the SWA, they were made up. Micky too must be pleased because he got the change in formation and the subs just right In particular, the introduction of Mangan turned the game. I expect morale to be back to normal, if not better.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mceveley joins our reserve team Warrington on loan with Rokka going to Hyde United.

Player
Manager
John King
Mceveley joins our reserve team Warrington on loan with Rokka going to Hyde United.
Unbelievable that McEveley has ended up at Warrington when he was supposed to be one of our marquee signings. That is his level now though unfortunately.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Warrington are doing quite well, in contention for promotion to the NL North.

Player
Manager
John King
Warrington are doing quite well, in contention for promotion to the NL North.
True, but I am sure we did not plan for McEveley to end up in the Evostick within eight months of us signing him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Another poor signing that one.

drwhoman

Agree Ian. How many times have we said that this season? Norburn has been a qualified success but have any other summer 2017 signed players actually done anything decent? The odd moment from Dunn I suppose but otherwise..... What has happened to Cole? He seems to be down the pecking order at the moment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm not even that convinced by Norburn.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I totally forgot about Larnell Cole - must have ability but has flattered to deceive a bit in his limited appearances and not contributed much.

Micky was asked yesterday about any more signings and seemed to say he is happy with the squad. Personally I would have looked at bringing in another front man on loan. Cookie and Nors rarely get injured but James has a temper and I'm not sure Mangan is up to the job as back up. Although we don't have unlimited resources and do have a big squad so not a total surprise I guess. Plus CJ can play up front.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Both McEverley and Rokka very poor signings, typical of the summer and a big part of the reason we are some way off the top

drwhoman

You would think we would be one of the more attractive clubs in the NL for a decent player so why we are unable to find and sign them is beyond me. Maybe there is a bit of pot luck about all signings at this level but others might have a better read on this than me. Or are our scouts just crap and their past efforts should be scrutinised very closely by MP? I know some players will, understandably, go where they can get most money but we cannot be a poor payer surely? I suspect the wealthy man projects like Fylde or Salford might attract some but there cannot be many in this category?

Player
Manager
John King
Our poor signings are not the result of lack of money, or lack of available players. They are the result of poor decision making.

However, I think the Wirral Live debacle did have some impact last summer, as in some cases we were forced (so it is claimed) to opt for our number two choices like McEveley, rather than our first choice targets.

However, the wage budget was still very healthy and recruitment should have been better. McEveley should not have been on any list of targets.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Technically, I don't think Jay is a bad player. His first couple of games he looked ok and I remember him scoring in Kop end second or third game. Great header equaliser at Pools.
But he's got no bottle.
He would rather wait for the second ball, after the nod on, and there's no place for a centre back in our division like that.
Bad recruitment in that don't sign a player who's not up for a scrap.