• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2017/18

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Certainly not good news Mal. In my opinion, Ihiekwe played a major role in the success we enjoyed this season and will be difficult to replace. One can't blame him for taking the opportunities this move opens up for him 2 leagues above. Had we been promoted perhaps his decision may have been different but good luck to the lad and thanks for his contribution whilst in a white shirt.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wish him well. Not a disaster though.

drwhoman

Shame about Michael but he is good enough to play at a higher level. Will need someone with pace to replace him given McNulty's lack of mobility.
I cannot remember the first Rovers game I saw as it must have been late 50s. Farrell, Eglington, Ralph Millington all were playing. My memory really becomes clearer once Dave Russell took over and he switched the kit from blue to white.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The rumours were half right, suggesting he'd join a South Yorks team, but Barnsley rather than the Millers.

Definitely not good news for Rovers. Ihky had improved significantly under Micky, particularly when played in a central defensive role. He also compensated for McNulty's lack of pace and unless Gumbs is reasonably fast, which hasn't registered when I've seen him play, means a new signing required if big Steve remains a regular.

Have to say I'm not sure it's a good move from the player's perspective either. Rotherham have just been relegated after a dismal season and a significant re-building exercise required. He might have been better going to a team with a bit more stable set up, like one of last season's unsuccessful L1 promotion contenders

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Not great news, but no great surprise and a loss we can deal with. At least we have plenty of time to line up a replacement.

As Boz says, we will have to bring in a centre back with pace to work alongside Big Mac, particularly if Buxton starts the season at right back. I also agree that Rotherham seems a strange move, as they are very much a club on the way down at the moment.

I fully expect Stockton to follow suit, which does not bother me as long as Cook stays.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Sorry to see MI go but would have been sorrier if Rides or Bucko had gone.
True he had a decent final third of the season but only after MM changed the system. In a flat back four he had some stinkers and lost his place to Sutton.
A decent lad though, all the best to him.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
a blow but one that was expected got to bring in a decent replacement

Player
Manager
John King
Just reflecting on the Ihiekwe transfer, could Curtis Tilt be an ideal replacement ? He is definitely leaving Wrexham but I am unsure if he has agreed a contract with FGR yet.

drwhoman

On other news I see that Cox, the Barrow Manager, is being courted by Hartlepool. So we can expect park football tactics from them this season!

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Whilst sorry to see Michael Ihiekwe go I wish him every success at Rotherham. He seemed to have clear potential to play at a higher level and will be missed. He gave us three good seasons and who can blame anyone who has the ambition to progress in their career.

Agree that sometimes his pace and ability to read a dangerous situation to cover Big Mac got us out of trouble. This will need to be considered when recruiting a replacement. Also he was an emergency left back as well as right back which has taken away some flexibility from the squad.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think left-back is an issue. As well as Ridehalgh and the youngster Eddie Clarke, both Hughes and Buxton played there last season and Gumbs was tried out in pre-season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Overall, the main problem we have is that as a NL club we are less attractive to many players than an EFL club. Even though our wages are probably competitive, some would prefer even a "small" league outfit to a "big" club like Rovers.

However, I'm not too concerned about the defence. Good defenders are easier to find than good strikers or even good midfielders. Ihiekwe is a loss, as would Vaughan, but there must be good replacements around we can attract. What Micky should tell any potential signing is that TRFC made a League One player out of a Wolves reject and turned Cheltenham's third choice right-back into the best in the NL.

Even if we lose Cole Stockton, we are still very strong up front and the compensation received will be useful. I would be surprised is Maynard left, so the only concern about midfield is that everyone recovers fully from their injuries, some of which are serious and would have been career threatening a few years ago.

At least Micky now has the time, the reputation and the money to attract the two or three additions he needs to freshen up the squad for next season. And as Boz says, Gumbs and Clarke should be allowed to show what they can do.

As I said even before the promotion final, I think we will be in a very strong position to challenge for automatic promotion next year.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
With just a few departures and incomers, we will pretty much have retained a settled squad whilst others will be seeking to rebuild.
All we need to do is pick it up where we left off
At least Cookie is still under contract so hopefully any "rift" has time to heal. Good old fashioned centre forwards are like gold dust and we've been desperate for a player like him for years.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think his contract was up.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think the rule is that if a young player under 24 comes through a club's system and refuses a contract extension, then they are entitled to a transfer fee or compensation set by a tribunal. We lost Max Power, Aaron Cresswell and Steve Davies like this but got paid. So, we should get money for Cole but as Michael came on a free from Wolves I assume we'll get nothing - but that's fair as he cost us nothing.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't know the exact position, but think we got Steve Davies after he'd been released by Everton. Don't know if the rules BBTC suggests hold that we'd have got anything now, though it may depend on the age when the released player is taken on.

Player
Manager
John King
Even though our wages are probably competitive, some would prefer even a "small" league outfit to a "big" club like Rovers.

Even clubs much smaller than us in Leagues One and Two will offer better wages though. Our current wage budget is about £1.1 million, with an ambitious chairman who has massively increased our income. When we were relegated from League One it was £1.5 million, at a time when we were shambolic off the pitch.

The additional FL / Sky TV money the league clubs receive makes a massive difference and for most players money will be the prime consideration, rather than the size or history of the club.