• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Derby have signed an Everton striker on loan for the season so will be sending Jack stretton out, likely to a league two club. Conor Wickham which some rumours mentioned signs for FGR
Stretton has joined Carlisle on loan for the season

drwhoman

An unfortunate result of the Academy structure and its funding in this country. The majority of young professionals are scooped up by the large academies resulting in loans down the pyramid - some eventually find their level. There used to be a lot more even spread of young talent leading to moves up the pyramid (and cash to lower league teams). As a result the best coaches end up at the academies and so it perpetuates. In terms of progression on the pitch (excluding the impact of billionaires) it really does enforce the status quo and reduce upward/downward mobility by things that used to matter. I don't think it does the young players any good either. It is an achievement to be playing as a pro in, say, EFL1 but does it feel like it after you have been sold the dream in an EPL academy and then dropped to "your" level? In the past the same player may have started at EFL2 and progressed to EFL1, a tangible achievement and progression. It is no wonder a lot of young ex-academy players "struggle".

The benefit will probably be argued in respect of the improved quality of the national under age teams. However, this does not warrant the vast pools of players that the academies recruit; they could be far more selective with the same results.

There are a number of things that have changed football for the worse over the years and the factory fishing of young talent is one of them.
I like the factory fishing analogy. So true. The great majority of the elite club Academy players never make it to a professional contract and so at age 16 or whatever, having lived the Academy often since age 6, they have to face the fact that their future football is going to be well down the pyramid if at all. The problem for those who do get a professional contract is different. They are often on a long term contract with money that is good for a latish teens/early 20s young man. All fine until the Club decides that they are not in fact first team material. Glatzel is now in this category at least partly due to his past injuries. No EFL club is going to pay money for an unproven 21 year old and his wages are a deterrent to an EFL Club unless, in his case Liverpool ,pay a big chunk. Even if they do, the player is faced with going on loan knowing that he is simply winding down the clock to that free transfer albeit with good money in the meantime. Not mentally exciting for an ambitious young man. Adam Lewis is a case in point at Liverpool. Once highly regarded he seems to drift from Club to Club without really putting down roots anywhere. Anyway, sorry for the long winded agreement ONIGP!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Suggestions elsewhere that we'll only be bringing one or two more players in as loans in and nothing imminent.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Barrow, Rochdale and Grimsby all sign forwards in the last day or two. Surely we’ll get another one in soon enough. If we’re still waiting for glatzel then perhaps all the more reason to avoid him if still injury prone. Although beggars can’t be choosers I guess

ADD

Player
Norwood
Reading elsewhere that the loan striker we were after has fallen through and MM is fuming.... not good if true. Hopefully we have more irons in the fire..
On a more positive note the same ITK says the Newcastle game will be shown on TV on the Wednesday so that will help financially if true.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Reading elsewhere that the loan striker we were after has fallen through and MM is fuming.... not good if true. Hopefully we have more irons in the fire..
On a more positive note the same ITK says the Newcastle game will be shown on TV on the Wednesday so that will help financially if true.
Now on the club website. To be shown live on Sky on Wednesday 24th August.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would take the MM fuming at a failed transfer with a large pinch of salt

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ryan Stratulis joins Connahs Quay on loan till January

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Ryan Stratulis joins Connahs Quay on loan till January
On the bench for their game tonight.
When we’ve such a threadbare squad it surprises me we’re loaning players out.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
When we’ve such a threadbare squad it surprises me we’re loaning players out.
1. Clearly this is seen as an important part of Ryan's development. Having just extended his contract, it is not a step towards the back door.
2. It won't be for financial reasons, as what he's on a week wouldn't pay a day's salary for a decent striker.
3. He is not quite yet in Micky's immediate plans but if we need him, I'm sure we can recall him anyway.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
1. Clearly this is seen as an important part of Ryan's development. Having just extended his contract, it is not a step towards the back door.
2. It won't be for financial reasons, as what he's on a week wouldn't pay a day's salary for a decent striker.
3. He is not quite yet in Micky's immediate plans but if we need him, I'm sure we can recall him anyway.
Get all of this, wouldn’t be an issue for me if there were players incoming too. It would make sense to have kept both Ryan and Jake Burton until the squad strengthening was complete.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Good for him. Does not seem to feature in MM's plans at all given how little we saw him in pre- season. Hope he will do well.
He came off the bench yesterday so presumably loan was only done yesterday.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Get all of this, wouldn’t be an issue for me if there were players incoming too. It would make sense to have kept both Ryan and Jake Burton until the squad strengthening was complete.
I think we basically agree on this one. No new players for a while. This is usually the time when loan players arrive. We have normally signed three or four by the end of August, but only Luke Robinson so far. I am sure the club are trying hard to recruit but are finding it frustrating.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I didn’t realise you were able to recall so quickly, he’s been away less than a month. Were Rovers anticipating another striker incoming, that’s now fallen through? Is there any truth in the rumour linking Nevitt to L1 clubs? Sam Taylor picked up an injury?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I didn’t realise you were able to recall so quickly, he’s been away less than a month. Were Rovers anticipating another striker incoming, that’s now fallen through? Is there any truth in the rumour linking Nevitt to L1 clubs? Sam Taylor picked up an injury?
Lots of rumours swirling around. Nevitt departing ? Glatzell arriving ?

Who knows.....

Status
Not open for further replies.