• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Foley’s departure a little bit surprising. Think the player himself said he wasn’t capable of playing every game and he’s a good reputation while here, so guessing Barrow offering him more dosh? I’m disappointed rather than devastated.

Stratulis showed promise on debut in the Pizza Cup but picked up an injury on loan and barely featured thereafter. Don’t know enough about the others to comment. I do agree with Sparky that we need to bulk up the experience levels in the squad now.
If anything, I was surprised Foley got offered a new deal in the first place. If we want to play more up the pitch, we probably need younger players. However, we now have a very young squad. The oldest are Murphy (40), Hemmings (31), Davies (30), Morris (28) and Lewis (27). After that, it's Cogley and Nevitt! So really, we only have five players you could call "experienced". I expect Micky will try to address that with three or four more players in the 27-32 age range, especially at the back..

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. We definately need some experienced players on the books. They are probably the hardest to recruit though so hopefully we'll see quite a few more signings in the next few weeks.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
yea glad we have got the other lads in now we do need 1 more at the back but we also need at least 1 more Striker and 1 or two, wingers

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
also, they need £100m for the new stadia you know any money to come in like in the past some will go to the playing side and most will go to other projects or towards saving for the new stadium

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
also, they need £100m for the new stadia you know any money to come in like in the past some will go to the playing side and most will go to other projects or towards saving for the new stadium
I haven't done the sums on the new stadium. It's too early as they haven't even started the feasibility study. But I'm sure Mark knows where the money's coming from. The sale of Prenton Park will help, there will certainly be grants available and I expect they will have to borrow a few millions. Maybe sponsorship, including naming rights, will be on the table. After all, the stadium won't be called Prenton Park, will it? And New Prenton Park is unimaginative and boring.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The quoted project cost of £100 million is for the entire development, not the stadium. Rotherham's stadium, which Palios has hinted could be a design model, cost £20 million.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Foley’s departure a little bit surprising. Think the player himself said he wasn’t capable of playing every game and he’s a good reputation while here, so guessing Barrow offering him more dosh? I’m disappointed rather than devastated.

Stratulis showed promise on debut in the Pizza Cup but picked up an injury on loan and barely featured thereafter. Don’t know enough about the others to comment. I do agree with Sparky that we need to bulk up the experience levels in the squad now.
I think Hughes ex Everton and Wales U21 got a 2 year deal and ex Oldham lad a one year deal. They maybe hoping these lads seriously push for a first team spot.
Talking of youngsters is thee any chance of us seeing Glatzel in a Tranmere shirt again?

drwhoman

Someone please remind me. Have we got a goalkeeper other than Joe please? If not, we need one! There was talk of a Liverpool junior but he did not sound very promising.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think Hughes ex Everton and Wales U21 got a 2 year deal and ex Oldham lad a one year deal. They maybe hoping these lads seriously push for a first team spot.
Talking of youngsters is thee any chance of us seeing Glatzel in a Tranmere shirt again?
No doubting his talent but too many injuries for me.

drwhoman

No doubting his talent but too many injuries for me.
I would take a punt with the right contract structure. That said, he was not amongst the players released by Liverpool so I assume he is still under contract there. Another loan maybe.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would take a punt with the right contract structure. That said, he was not amongst the players released by Liverpool so I assume he is still under contract there. Another loan maybe.
He has another year on his contract and we were paying quite a bit of his wages

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Someone please remind me. Have we got a goalkeeper other than Joe please? .
Yes, we have Mateusz Hewelt, 25 year old we signed from Bamber Bridge last season. I assume he's being groomed for the first team, but maybe not ready yet.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Yes, we have Mateusz Hewelt, 25 year old we signed from Bamber Bridge last season. I assume he's being groomed for the first team, but maybe not ready yet.
I'd assumed that we had him on the books purely for emergency purposes rather than with any expectation that he was being groomed for the first team, but may have assumed incorrectly.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Ex Sunderland Keeper, Lee Burge, signs for L2 Northampton. I did fancy he'd be an option for us. Probably better than L2 - disappointed we couldn't get him.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
yea I get that but we all know that MP has always kept money back for other things and he will be doing the same for that it's common sense to think like that and I would do the same if I were him Football can,t continue with the way its run most clubs owe so much at least we have an owner who is trying to do the right things

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Hopefully now the fixtures are out and teams are back training we’ll see some new signings as they’ll need bedding in before the season starts

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There seems to have been a fair bit of activity at other L2 clubs this week. Biggest surprise is L2 top scorer Dom Telford heading to Crawley. Are they going to become another moneybags team chucking the crypto coin around? Pools have been busy too.

It may be that more deals including those involving Rovers become apparent as contracts finish at the end of June. Guess we’ll soon find Calum Macdonald’s next destination out too. I’d agree with Sparky that we really need to start seeing some additions to have a basic squad for pre-season, even if one or two of the more significant additions may not join until later.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There seems to have been a fair bit of activity at other L2 clubs this week. Biggest surprise is L2 top scorer Dom Telford heading to Crawley. Are they going to become another moneybags team chucking the crypto coin around? Pools have been busy too.

It may be that more deals including those involving Rovers become apparent as contracts finish at the end of June. Guess we’ll soon find Calum Macdonald’s next destination out too. I’d agree with Sparky that we really need to start seeing some additions to have a basic squad for pre-season, even if one or two of the more significant additions may not join until later.
Telford is a big surprise as looked to be going to Port Vale.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Telford is a big surprise as looked to be going to Port Vale.
Yes I was surprised although I guess a 3 year contract was the deal breaker - relatively unheard of at this level. They’ll have a decent front two with Telford and Nadesdan next season

As Boz says we need to get some additions in asap. Don’t want any last minute scrambling for the rubbish that is left not signed up

Status
Not open for further replies.