• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
OK, talk has already started in a couple of other places, so I thought I'd kick this discussion off in its own thread.

Under contract for two more seasons, we have Josh Hawkes, Lee O'Connor and Kane Hemmings. Under contract for one more, we have Elliott Nevitt, Josh Dacres-Cogley and Chris Merrie. Whose existing contract should we extend? Should we be looking to offload any of these players? Are we likely to sell any during the close season?

Out of contract are Joe Murphy, Mani, Joe Maguire, Mateusz Hewelt, Peter Clarke, Tom Davies, Kyle Hayde, NKP, Calum Macdonald, Kieran Morris, Ryan Stratulis, Callum Macmanaman, Sam Foley, Jake Burton, Nicky Maynard and Charlie Jolley. Who would we like to re-sign and who should we allow to move on?

On loan, we have Ross Doohan, Lewis Warrington, Josh McPake and Paul Glatzel. Which loanees would we like to keep (on loan or under contract)? Would we have any chance of getting them?

We have the basis of a decent squad with some good young players under contract plus the potent Hemmings. However, currently we have no goalkeepers and hardly any defenders. We still need a few more midfielders and wide players. Ironically, one area which is relatively strong is upfront - three strikers.

What do we all think?

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the summary BBTC.

I would offer new deals to McDonald, Morris, Tom Davies, Clarke and Murphy. Albeit the last two May play fewer minutes than this season but Murphy has done nothing wrong to be fair. I think Davies, Clarke and Murphy would all stay if offered deals although Tom may leave if he got a two year deal somewhere. McDonald might stay but Morris seems likely to move on.

I’d like Warrington to come back of the loanees and possibly glatzel but Paul would need to be a pay as you play based contract.

Everyone else can leave as far as I’m concerned. We need more players who are say mid 20s with good football league experience under their belts

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
My assessment is as follows:

Murphy - give him another year if he wants to carry on
Doohan - unsure. I think he is ok, but it depends who else is available
Clarke - release
NKP - release
Davies - offer him a two year deal
Mac Donald - offer him a two year deal
Maguire - release
Spearing - release
McManaman - release
Morris - make the best offer we can
Foley - offer him another year. A decent utility player and in good shape
Jolley - give him another year and see if he develops
Mani - release
Maynard - release

Warrington - get him on an extended loan if possible
Glatzel - don't pursue, purely because of his injury record

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Of those under contract, I would try to extend Nevitt's but no strong views on the rest.

In terms of the out of contract players, I broadly agree with Sparky and RLC. My inclination would also be to take up the option of extending Jolley's deal as we did pay a fee to sign him. If funds are tight, I would not be averse to giving contracts to some of the youngsters Hayde, Stratulis alomg with Hewelt.

On current loan signings, I would take Warrington again, if offered on loan, but have reservations about recruiting the others, some of whom may be out of contract or have existing deals curtailed.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As RLC says I’d probably offer foley another year. Seems a good egg and can do a job in a number of positions. At his age I doubt he’d cost much to keep

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
it is going to be interesting to see what James and the team have been working on and who they are going to bring in are they going to do what they always do and leave it late or will it get done sooner to settle the new lads in one thing for sure can't be any worse than last season

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
From what Micky said after the match we are lime to offer a number of the out of contract players new deals.
Davies wants to stay so hopefully we will extend him for 2 years. I would release Clarke but feel we will give him another year. Spearing I believe is retiring and going into coaching with liverpool's academy. Morris sadly will leave, Murphy likely to retire, Macdonald I would keep but he may end up elsewhere the rest mainly can leave.
There has been and likely be more interest in Cogley so if a decent enough bid is received he may go. We have the option to extend Jolleys contract so will probably do it.
Glatzel would be a good signing if he could stay fit sadly I don't think hrs worth the risk, Warrington is a decent player and technically very good but in a midfield 2 with O'Connor we lack a physical presence.

ADD

Player
Norwood

Glad to see a retained list! Slightly surprised to learn we had options on Burton and Hayde and even more so that we have exercised them. Also in talks with Stratulis. Suggests maybe that budget will be lower as was rumoured before.
Good news re Davies however. Had not known we had an option on him also...

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good to see this. There didn’t seem to be a good reason not to have a retained/released list and it keeps fans in the picture. Tom Davies staying is a positive and I’d previously suggested some of the youngsters might stay as squad players. No surprises on the released list.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As boz says no real surprises although giving Burton another year is questionable. I guess he won’t cost much though

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m really pleased the club has produced a retained list so early and so succinctly and that there are so many names on it. We have 12 players on the books already, although four are not yet first team contenders. Hopefully, a few of the out of contract players will re-sign, so we have a core staff of a manager, coaching team and at least 15 or 16 players who already know each other. Although retaining so many youngsters may reflect the reduced budget, I think one or two may break through next season. This is the most settled situation the club has been in for as long as I can remember - certainly since the Bosman Rules came in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Really pleased with the release list. It's just dead wood really. Good to see some of our better players retained. I hope we keep Morris, McDonald and Murphy. Clarke I'm not that fussed about but obviously the club want him still. We have a mix of youth in there too. Now we just need to make some really good signings to fill the gaps. Defensively, I don't think it will change much if we manage to keep McDonald and Clarke. Midfield could do with a boost and some creativity pumped into it and also someone to partner Hemmings up front as I still think the other options are fairly raw and still learning.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think the retention of the youngsters suggests the budget has been reduced. They are not going to feature regularly, and will not be taking the place of senior players.

I agree with most of the decisions, and it is good that Davies is staying. Apparently we had the option to extend by a year if he made a certain number of appearances, due to his injury record.

I would not have offered Clarke anything, but I think it is ok if he stays on for another year as a squad player, rather than a guaranteed starter. Murphy is worth retaining if he wants to carry on.

When the dust has settled, we will have a good nucleus of ten to twelve first team players, which is a much stronger position than this time last year. I think it is vital that the rest of the squad is in place by the time of the first friendlies in early July, other than the occasional loan. We don't want to play half a dozen games before the recruitment is complete, as happened last season.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The Clarke conundrum is interesting. Let’s not forget he’s played every minute of the last two league seasons. Despite his critics he got in the EFL team of the year and more crucially, was part of one of the best defensive records in the league. I suspect he’ll be expecting to start up again in august as captain and first choice. Micky made the point that our main problem this season was being mentally weak away from home and I can’t see that being an issue with Clarke, which Micky alluded to. Not saying I agree with it but I’ll be surprised if he is a squad player unless we bring in a very good centre back.

Personally I’d like a striker with a physical presence, more of a target man just to give us that option. Wide men needed with mcmanaman mcpake and Morris likely to be all leaving. Need some centre mids with some presence and another striker of course

Player
Manager
John King
The Clarke conundrum is interesting. Let’s not forget he’s played every minute of the last two league seasons. Despite his critics he got in the EFL team of the year and more crucially, was part of one of the best defensive records in the league. I suspect he’ll be expecting to start up again in august as captain and first choice. Micky made the point that our main problem this season was being mentally weak away from home and I can’t see that being an issue with Clarke, which Micky alluded to. Not saying I agree with it but I’ll be surprised if he is a squad player unless we bring in a very good centre back.
The issue for me is his lack of mobility, which restricts us if we want to play a high line and press, particularly away from home. His form also dipped towards the end of both the last two seasons.

I don't have any problem with him staying, but I don't think he should be a guaranteed starter. I think we need more pace and mobility at the back as Davies, although excellent, is not quick either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some valid points RLC. I’m not sure Micky will see it that way as he does have his favourites. Although he unceremoniously told McNulty his career was effectively over after the spurs drubbing (a bit unfair imo).

We certainly do need more pace in the squad. Wonder how quick Nors is nowadays as nearly 32!

drwhoman

We certainly need something! I was just looking at the individual goal scoring and assist stats on the BBC website. No one was amongst the twenty odd top goal scorers and only Hemmings was down the list on assists. Not bad for half a season! Andy Cook was on both lists and Kane Wilson was second for assists.

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon

Personally I’d like a striker with a physical presence, more of a target man just to give us that option. Wide men needed with mcmanaman mcpake and Morris likely to be all leaving. Need some centre mids with some presence and another striker of course
The big problem this season was Mickeys rubbish tactics - he should defo get released !

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
if you were Burton would you want to waste another year at a club where you know you are not gonna play, I would wanna get out and start playing, as for the others no big surprises, looking forward to seeing who we bring in, as for Clarke think he been good this year but he needs to play a lot less next year

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I’m really pleased the club has produced a retained list so early and so succinctly and that there are so many names on it. We have 12 players on the books already, although four are not yet first team contenders. Hopefully, a few of the out of contract players will re-sign, so we have a core staff of a manager, coaching team and at least 15 or 16 players who already know each other. Although retaining so many youngsters may reflect the reduced budget, I think one or two may break through next season. This is the most settled situation the club has been in for as long as I can remember - certainly since the Bosman Rules came in.
It was pleasing to see the list.
Just watched a 15min YouTube video of Matt Taylor going through the Exeter retained list. Very candid, no real platitudes. Some interesting logic and thoughts and defo a couple of players, including the keeper, he thinks a lot of or have potential. Worth a watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.